TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ringtone in car while connected to Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by GasKilla, May 31, 2016.

1. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

My tesla has never played my phone's ringtone over the car speakers (my last car did this) but after the last software update I heard my phone's ringtone over the speakers, but only once.

Does anyone else hear their phone's ringtone over the speakers? Or just the default beep beep the car plays? I have an iPhone.

My personalized ringtones help me know who is calling without looking at the screen. Any help or insight with this issue would be appreciated.

2. iffatall

iffatall Member

You will hear the ringtone if "phone" is selected as your media player source.

In other words, the car only plays Bluetooth audio when Bluetooth source is selected by the media player. The phone always sends the ringtone to the car when connected via Bluetooth. It is the car blocking it.

3. GasKilla

I listen to plenty of podcast from my phone (and received calls while doing so) but haven't heard this to be the case, I'll have to test this theory.

4. iffatall

iffatall Member

Sorry, actually, I was talking about notification tones rather than incoming call ringtones.

5. GasKilla

No worries, I tested it out this morning (listening to a podcast and received a call) still no ringtone, although I do hear the alert tones like you mentioned. I'm really wondering why I hear the ringtone once

6. iffatall

iffatall Member

My guess is - when your media player source is Bluetooth, and your phone starts to ring, the media is routed to the car and then the car starts playing it just like regular media audio. However, the car also gets notified by the phone of the incoming call, at which point it mutes the media player. So I suppose in the little gap between when the phone actually starts ringing, and when the car switches to phone call mode, the ringtone may be audible.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

Notification tones (like text messages, iPhone notifications) will not play with the Model S BT connection. FWIW, that is why I am happy to wear an Apple Watch--does both the audio and haptics.

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I've submitted this bug to Tesla, that when playing any other source than the BT audio, it should disconnect the BT Audio connection (but NOT the BT phone connection), so alert tones are played through the phone's speaker. This would cause a very brief delay when re-connecting to the BT audio source, but I'd make that trade-off any day to be able to hear my phone's alerts when say, listening to the USB source or slacker, etc.

• Like x 1