TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Rinsing bottom of car while washing?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Cerie, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Cerie

Cerie Member

Sep 6, 2014
    My husband was reading the manual and noticed that it says in the care section that you're supposed to rinse the bottom of the car once in awhile to make sure there isn't any salt or other corrosive material sitting on the shield. Normally he just uses the no rinse, two bucket wash method which doesn't involve a hose and I don't take my car to drive through washes. Has anyone here followed the directions in the manual and is the way to accomplish this just to aim at the bottom of the car with a hose and hope it ricochets onto the shield? I'm just a little concerned about dousing the battery with water -.-
  2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Redmond, WA
    The battery is very, very well sealed as we've seen from the few people who have bought salvaged ones and opened them up. It has to be - it gets doused with water from the road all the time.

I just give a blast from the hose up under the car when washing. In two years, never had a problem.

If you can't wash in your driveway where you live, then an occasional run through a touchless car wash with an undercarriage wash or a blast from one of those coin-op self car wash bays should do the trick.