Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP #521

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Roadster space landing

Well, another one bites the dust. I was in my work parking lot and the accelerator stuck and within 20 feet I was into the side of 2 cars. My insurance worked with Tesla to get a list of parts and the parts total was $68k before labor so ya, that didn't make the cut.

I haven't had the time but I have the 240 charger, J adapter, soft top, and a hard top with case that I will be selling if anyone is interested.

• Disagree
Reactions: e-FTW
It was fairly mangled but it would be awesome if someone could. I had a half thought that I would buy it back and swap all the stuff into something random like a Miata but I have too many projects going on to try and take that on.

I have seen some of the pricing for some of these parts but I don't really know what is fair and reasonable so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Ugh, really sorry to hear about this. Could have been much worse if anyone else or even you were in front of it so glad to hear only inanimate objects were harmed. Hoping you can recoup some of your costs from insurance.

PM sent on your soft top, thx.

I was in my work parking lot and the accelerator stuck and within 20 feet I was into the side of 2 cars.

What? This is a big deal people! Did you inform Tesla and are they investigating? Was it a mechanical issue or an electrical issue? I have never heard of this happening, but if there is a failure mode that will turn our cars into ballistic missiles then someone needs to get to the bottom of it. You need to inform the NHTSA about this if not already done. They have a way to report safety issues. Not trying to be a drama queen about this, but geez, this is a failure mode that could kill allot of people. Please follow up on this. We all know the brakes would never stop a fully throttled high mass inertia Tesla Roadster.

Relax. He didn't actually have a stuck pedal unless something like the floor mat was bunched up against it. He had his foot on the accelerator but thought he had it on the brake pedal. This is not all that uncommon and the driver will always swear on their life that they had their foot on the brake. It happens enough that the NHTSA won't even investigate it unless there is some compelling reason to believe that the pedal "stuck" on its own or there was a real hardware or firmware problem. Tesla has one of the best designs in the auto industry to prevent stuck pedals so there's no need to worry.

Thanks @hcsharp for reminding me of this issue. I am aware of this, there was recently a post on the forums about a MS with perceived sudden acceleration. Oh and we are all aware of the Toyota debacle. However.....it is still concerning enough to where I want to hear @Indian Steve ’s reply with much more detail. Things fail....I deal with it every day as an engineer. I have many stories of critical failures as I was a systems engineer in the nuclear power industry. And yes, human factors is always a good possibility as to root cause....I know this area well.

Tesla Roadster space landing

Well, another one bites the dust. I was in my work parking lot and the accelerator stuck and within 20 feet I was into the side of 2 cars. My insurance worked with Tesla to get a list of parts and the parts total was $68k before labor so ya, that didn't make the cut.

I haven't had the time but I have the 240 charger, J adapter, soft top, and a hard top with case that I will be selling if anyone is interested.

Interested in more information regarding the car and the available parts.

My guess is that the carpeted mats stuck or something. It was very odd how it all happened but it usually is odd when anything like this goes on.

I’ve been super slammed at work and it looks like there is a lot of interest in parts but I’m still not really sure what things are worth so I might just post for sale ads and have obo’s on all of them until they are sold.

Relax. He didn't actually have a stuck pedal unless something like the floor mat was bunched up against it. He had his foot on the accelerator but thought he had it on the brake pedal. This is not all that uncommon and the driver will always swear on their life that they had their foot on the brake. It happens enough that the NHTSA won't even investigate it unless there is some compelling reason to believe that the pedal "stuck" on its own or there was a real hardware or firmware problem. Tesla has one of the best designs in the auto industry to prevent stuck pedals so there's no need to worry.
good call on the carpet. I owned that car for 2 years, it's easy to imagine the carpets got in the way. Good call. Sorrry to see 521 go, I put a lot of love into that car.