TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RIP #994

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by NomoC8, Jan 16, 2018.

1. DonS

DonS Member

It's back so the last auction did not meet reserve and Copart was unable to negotiate a deal between highest bidder and the seller. They will try it again!

https://www.copart.com/lot/56809608

2. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

This is a long shot but...

Paging @Btr_ftw!

Rich, looking for another project? Not anywhere near as complicated as your previous work but could be a nice change of pace for you. Plus, you'd be helping get a piece of history back on the road. :D

-------------------

For the uninitiated...

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

• Like x 1
  3. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

His next video: "I bought a salvage Tesla Roadster and got it back on the road. Still no sign of the Model X I ordered in November."

4. olsch01

olsch01 New Member

Well - it's up on eBay:
    2010 Tesla Roadster Sport | eBay

Removing the damaged panels makes it look pretty doable - but that crack in the lower driverside windshield area is a tell tale sign, plus their "battery needs to be charged or replaced" comment makes things even more dire.

Great looking car- would love to see it saved.

5. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Sad loss of a beautiful car. The color was one of my favorites. Almost 47K miles of pure fun and enjoyment I bet.

6. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

On the original accident photos the front fender was directly inline with the crack in the screen. I remember the owner saying the chassis has cracked. I would love to see how bad as I'm not an expert but I'm comfortable at TIG aluminium welding and feel it could be repaired. Its going to be an project for someone, either it pays off or it becomes spare parts for the remaining roadsters. If I had the money free I would give it a go. it would also be a test bed for a redesign battery pack.

7. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

The chassis isn’t cracked. There was some damage to the carbon fiber “frame” around the windshield. Had to see in the pics. They have patched it somehow. The wind screen crack is from the fender pushing up into it.

8. X.l.r.8

Ohhhh, that's what was meant by a crack in the frame, i assumed it was the chassis, in that case I may make an offer and see what come of it.

• Like x 2
  9. DonS

DonS Member

They keep running this poor car thru the auction hoping for a higher bid. This time it maxed out at only $7,400.

10. X.l.r.8

Its value keeps going down, when if gets to $3500 imma swoop in and grab it!!

• Like x 1
  11. Big_Pete1999

Big_Pete1999 New Member

The struggle is real....
    This car being resuscitated knowing you likely can't get anything from Tesla (maybe not even the $30k battery pack), -OR- buying a running one in perfect condition for $40k. Sure, might not have a 3.0 upgrade, but they are gorgeous and running (any car selling site).

But that's why nobody is willing to pay more than a grand or two for that car, and if seller thinks they'll get more, they're fooling themselves. You'd likely have to get custom made body panels and everything and the new batteries and end up spending more in trying to get the car running, plus the price of the car, knowing running ones in perfect condition can be had for $40k

12. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I'm wondering if a bunch of us Roadster owners should pool together to buy a couple of these unsalvageable vehicles for parts to keep our working vehicles alive down the road. Getting hit from behind is something we often have little control over, and while that's typically not fatal to the chassis like a front accident, having access to the rear bumper, trunk lid, etc. (or even the motor or PEM) may save the life of another Roadster.

13. X.l.r.8

Years ago I worked in a used speed parts shop, they brought unfinished projects, stripped them down and sold the parts on. The only problem was I would save 2 out of 3, I couldn't help myself, most needed welding or engines fitted properly or custom headers made. If this ever happened to roadsters you can guarantee I would want to save them all.

• Like x 1
  14. DonS

DonS Member

15. X.l.r.8

I'm waiting to get clearance to try and get this car once again. I just found out I have a year to fix and RIV test a salvage roadster. Normally you only have 45 days and thats not enough to get Tesla to do their part. Fingers crossed I can bring this one back.

• Like x 2
  16. Sig72

Sig72 Member

Don't you need to be a dealer to bid on Copart cars?

17. X.l.r.8

Yes, I’ll have to either use a broker to bid which I know they won’t accept, or buy a license. Either way I’m having to pay just to get in the game. I spoke to them previously and the price was on the higher side, I’m in a position to negotiate now so I’d like to see what it would take to go pick it up.

18. DonS

DonS Member

19. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Thunder "Blue". Thx Copart.

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 4.27.24 PM.png

20. X.l.r.8

Yes. It’s also on eBay, I offered what I thought was a fair price for a gamble and he respectfully said he couldn’t go that low. I assume it owes him a lot more than it’s worth.