TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

RIP #994

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by NomoC8, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Commodore

Commodore Member

Serial number 961 is here: https://www.copart.com/lot/24611289

This car has all the damaged parts removed, which is the way to buy!!!

2. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

Yes but 994 has the parts to put it back together. Either way they will never sell. 20k for a car. 20k to fix it and 30k for a new battery, $70k for a salvaged title roadster. Until they start selling for a realistic price they will be on auction sites for years. I am hankering after the Fisker now so I’m pushing to get my other project done to do this one

3. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Apparently they sold it. It has been removed from both Copart and Ebay.

4. X.l.r.8

Thank god. I was getting sidetracked by that car. I can concentrate on my car again.

5. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> and 30k for a new battery [X.l.r.8]

No, the last one is gone, there is no more from whence that came, adios Roadster power packs that we once knew. :(
    --

6. X.l.r.8

I priced out cells once before and rapidly approached 22,000. And that deliberately staying away from anything above 3200mah as they show the fastest degrading rates. I was hoping to pull the pack and rework it. Thankfully no longer required. That car was to distracting, but it did make me clear space in my garage just in case.

7. Tommie66

Tommie66 Member

I am now the proud owner of 961(I think)
    And plan to bring it back to life!

• Like x 2
  8. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

Yes, that is 961. Congrats and good luck.

Anyone know what happened to 994?

9. frogeater42

frogeater42 New Member

Found this forum through searching the vin on google. If the vin was entered correctly, 994 appears to be back on eBay and I’m currently the high bidder.

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport | eBay

Attached Files:

10. X.l.r.8

#90 X.l.r.8, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Good luck, I hope you can resurrect it. It’s one I had my eye on but the time it’s say now I’m a hard pass.
    Not sure how smart showing your highest bid is on a public forum

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

He didn't show his highest bid. He only said he's currently the high bidder which is already public info.

frogeater keep in mind it will be very hard to get that car back on the road. Good luck.

• Like x 1
  12. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Actually if you click the link you will see his max bid.

Its irrelevant anyways because the car will bid way over his max amount shown.

13. X.l.r.8

This is a different seller than capitolonemotors. I think it’s making its way slowly to me. The seller will not allow any questions so I assume they tried to charge it, failed and are moving on.

14. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

Seller Notes: “Salvage title, missing a few parts. Doesn't power up but may be fixable. Damage to glove compartment, windshield, front end. No airbag deployment, accident didn't trigger any airbags.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  15. X.l.r.8

Just shy of 13k which is what I would offered for the car originally! Not to bad if the new owner is lucky enough to resurrect the battery.

16. RebelRoadster

RebelRoadster Supporting Member

#994 arrived this morning to my shop. It's going to need lot's of love, but the PEM is in beautiful shape, though it's not powering up. The main battery has to be bricked due to age, and the Aux battery is currently disconnected. First order of business is to take a deep dive into the suspension in the front driver's corner. I believe this is the reason Tesla totaled the car, and it will determine if the car becomes a parts car or a resurrection. Given this car has been in the hands of two private individuals who elected to sell vs. restore, I am not hopeful. However, I have some really amazing help in my area who are ready to dig in. I will rely on there expertise regarding possible frame damage (which at this point has not been confirmed). Sourcing body parts is my number one biggest concern. The entire front trunk and mounting hardware is missing, and there are broken wires up front that go to unknown locations. Honestly though, I have seen worse. We have brought back worse cars than #994. Just going to needs lot's of luck and probably lots of help from people on this forum. I adore roadsters, so if there is a way, I will try to bring it back to life.

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Dudeapa

Dudeapa Member

Some body panels and front end pieces can be found on ebay in various condition. Suspension components might be similar to lotus elise. But good luck finding that front trunk.

18. Roadster

Roadster JdeMO Powered

@petergrub - any front end spares in your stockpile that would be good for @RebelRoadster's project?

19. RebelRoadster

RebelRoadster Supporting Member

Thanks @Roadster, greatly appreciated! Good news is, looks like there is NO structural damage at all. Somewhere along the way, the A-Arm and tie rod have been replaced (A-Arm looks newer on the damaged side than the passenger side) with no visible cracks anywhere in the aluminum frame. We will be scoping it at a later date (just to be sure), but so far, the mechanicals look excellent. Bad news is, the ESS disconnect was never pulled, so the battery looks to be flat. All fuses are testing good so far though, so I will get a 12V battery connected and start troubleshooting. Hopefully I can get the computer to boot.

20. X.l.r.8

I think the ESS was the reason for the resale. I think the other owners thought they could just plug it in and it would charge. Which meant you scooped it for a great price and could either bypass the bmb’s And see if it will recharge or put yourself down for a replacement. 20-30k is the going rate so I would concentrate on the car before the battery. If you can get it together I’m sure you can either swap a pack from Gruber or try and play with what you have.