Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP #994

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the original accident photos the front fender was directly inline with the crack in the screen. I remember the owner saying the chassis has cracked. I would love to see how bad as I'm not an expert but I'm comfortable at TIG aluminium welding and feel it could be repaired. Its going to be an project for someone, either it pays off or it becomes spare parts for the remaining roadsters. If I had the money free I would give it a go. it would also be a test bed for a redesign battery pack.

The struggle is real....
This car being resuscitated knowing you likely can't get anything from Tesla (maybe not even the $30k battery pack), -OR- buying a running one in perfect condition for $40k. Sure, might not have a 3.0 upgrade, but they are gorgeous and running (any car selling site).

But that's why nobody is willing to pay more than a grand or two for that car, and if seller thinks they'll get more, they're fooling themselves. You'd likely have to get custom made body panels and everything and the new batteries and end up spending more in trying to get the car running, plus the price of the car, knowing running ones in perfect condition can be had for $40k

I'm wondering if a bunch of us Roadster owners should pool together to buy a couple of these unsalvageable vehicles for parts to keep our working vehicles alive down the road. Getting hit from behind is something we often have little control over, and while that's typically not fatal to the chassis like a front accident, having access to the rear bumper, trunk lid, etc. (or even the motor or PEM) may save the life of another Roadster.

Years ago I worked in a used speed parts shop, they brought unfinished projects, stripped them down and sold the parts on. The only problem was I would save 2 out of 3, I couldn't help myself, most needed welding or engines fitted properly or custom headers made. If this ever happened to roadsters you can guarantee I would want to save them all.

Reactions: candersoh
Yes, I’ll have to either use a broker to bid which I know they won’t accept, or buy a license. Either way I’m having to pay just to get in the game. I spoke to them previously and the price was on the higher side, I’m in a position to negotiate now so I’d like to see what it would take to go pick it up.

Thunder "Blue". Thx Copart.

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 4.27.24 PM.png