Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP Panoramic Roof... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like getting rid of my wife's 85D is on hold because the Pano is something she wants. The thing that sold us on the Model S was the pano roof and unlike other's I use mine a TON. I could never get a car that doesn't have a sunroof that opens....Tesla is getting rid of a lot of options and I think that will turn most people off from ordering a new MS considering there is not many options to choose from other than Battery Size, Wheels, Color and Interior and one option EAP. If Tesla doesn't bring back the Pano I most likely won't be ordering a new MS (I'll probably go used). I hope the demand for Pano roof sky rockets and Tesla bring's it back, also considering this option removal a refresh is most likely super super close.....but hey in a few years we can look back on this and say "Remember when Tesla got rid of the Pano Roof and @P85DBeast was having a mental break down". lol:D

I had originally put down a deposit on the M3 but when I found out that it wouldn't be available with a pano roof or a hatchback, I bit the bullet and got a 2017 MS100D. Those are two things that I would hate to do without. So happy with my decision.

Same for me, waited in line for the 3 before the announcement but ended up getting a MS75 on learning about the lack of a sunroof option. Any new car I buy must have a sunroof as I use it many times per week.

Reactions: .jg.
Very strange for them to discontinue the pano sunroof. We love ours and honestly can't imagine buying a car without it and the absence of a sunroof is one of the reason we were really not interested in the X. Love to have the roof open when the weather is nice.

I really hope this means a major update is on the horizon for Model S.

We wouldn't want to buy a car without a sunroof.

Also what a shame what they have done to the P100D interior. I know some people love carbon fiber but we are not a fan of carbon fiber as an interior trim. It is strange how Tesla prevents a customer buying their most expensive vehicle from selecting the seat color and trim they prefer.

At the least I hope the carbon fiber trim can be removed and replaced with one of the wood trim options after purchase. Do they sell the wood trim separately?

Reactions: tinm
LOVE our Pano roof on our Model S. Never a problem with leaks. Also love the ventilated seats we were able to get during the short window they were made available. Work great. Wanted both on my Model 3 and almost wanted to wait for them before placing my order but gave up when at least AWD was made available and my 2001 car wasn’t a sure thing down the road of wait and see. The all glass roof on my Model 3 is nice but I still would want the pano roof if I had the choice.

We aren’t having any thoughts of selling our MS, and don’t know that we would do so for a MS refresh with bigger battery, but without those features don’t think we’d make the move, even with keeping a slower screen and not getting all the new bells and whistles. Have EAP but not interested in FSD for sometime. We also love our Carbon Fiber trim and don’t need or want a P model for more speed and higher insurance costs. When I read the news the other day I just shook my head.

My thought was that they were trying to trim back production costs associated with more options and put that saving into the next refreshed assembly line. Plus fewer options seems to be how they figure improving line efficiency and maintaining a profitable quarter. Maybe they are working towards using up the materials in stock or committed by contract and then will change colors/vendors/styles with the refresh we all know,will be coming. I think that’s how our Model S got the leather ventilated seats that had been only available on the Model X before. Model X seats changed to the vegan material and shortly after so did the Model S’s seats. But nice to see ventilated seats are coming back (if only right now for the P models). Still hope for the future I guess but then we might keep ours cars for a while.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Makes me wonder if the new objective at Tesla is to simplify manufacturing at the expense of having multiple options available. Maybe they bit off more than they could chew with all the customization options and subsequent manufacturing complexities. Once they get manufacturing more mature, they might be in a better position to reintroduce options like this.

Man. Maybe I’m taking my Pano roof for granted and keeping it closed, I’m opening it today, just because I can!! Lol
The other day it was cool and sunny outside. I started fiddling with the HVAC to turn off the AC, lower the temperature setting so heat wouldn't come on, turn on outside air vent, increase fan speed... and it hit me I could just open the pano instead and it would be perfect. I do forget during Houston summers that I can do that.
Plus, its fun at a red light when you're on AP behind a car to stick your hands through the roof and pretend you're on a roller coaster when the light turns green. I chicken out at about 6 MPH. And no, I don't want to grow up. :)

I intentionally got the glass roof vs. pano. I think it looks much nicer, provides a hell of a view for the back seat passengers, and it gave me an extra couple of inches of headroom.

That said, my last car had a sunroof that I used maybe 10 times in 8 years so it's clearly not a feature for me :)

I’m in the same boat. I personally thought the glass roof looked nicer and I don’t open mine much, but it still should be an option as obviously a lot of folks love their sunroofs!

Got the Pano Roof because it enables mounting a roof rack and the solid roof does not. Seldom open it, but really like the light and added sense of space. I like the Glass Roof option even better, but I don't know if it has mounting points. Not an issue at the moment as my stable is full with a late 2016 S90D and a 2017 M3.