Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP Panoramic Roof... :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had two Model S with Pano roof a 2014 and 2016. I was one of those ones that would love to have it open anytime they temp was between 70 and 90. I had tons of problems with the 2014 with it creaking constantly, and always sounding open. I did not have one problem with the 2016. I recently moved to a 3 and one thing I did miss a little was the pano roof, though I do like the slightly more open feeling where it goes further forward and to the side than than pano roof does.

Comparison to Hyundai is interesting. I do recall when they seemed like crap cars, and now it is a well-respected brand. I hope Tesla can successfully evolve into a full-fledged manufacturer, with sufficient service centers, supply chain for parts, ample delivery capability, and so on. Right now it seems like all they can do is to build cars, and if you are lucky, maybe service them. Delivery, used car sales support, parts, body shops -- not so much. I have not personally been burned by Tesla's limited resources, but the volume of horror stories here and in other forums is disturbing. Maybe the sunroof thing is indeed a small step towards limiting the demands on their resources. If so, I guess it is a good move, so long as it actually helps. Right now they seem to be mostly in chaos.
Yea, that chaos is what is going to burn them fast once competitor EV's hit the market, which is very soon. Tesla is still riding "the only game in town" wave of the practical and desirable EV. I am an early adopter, I was willing to put up with some issues since they were always taken care of by service center. My wife on the other hand is a mass consumer, her threshold level of service center visits is much less. Still, I managed to convince her it's worth it. Unfortunately, with the launch of Model 3, even my threshold level has been exceeded - service appointments are a weeks out now, no parts on hand, software getting crappier by the update. My wife got stranded twice already in her brand new Model S by the trunk not closing, almost a month later still waiting for parts. She also tells me sometimes the car screeches at her instead of a blinker noise, but without a repro not much service center can do, but tell me to wait for another software update. Even if the problem was happening reliably on some day, scheduling an appointment a month later is useless.

So, unless Tesla gets their act together very soon, their cars will be relegated to the status of a Pontiac Fiero - a "cool status car for an automotive masochist". Hopefully simplifying their configurations will help them get there.

Reactions: David29
<snip>
So, unless Tesla gets their act together very soon, their cars will be relegated to the status of a Pontiac Fiero - a "cool status car for an automotive masochist". Hopefully simplifying their configurations will help them get there.
I worked for a company once that announced in an all hands meeting that the software engineers should start supplying their own office supplies and printer paper because the company was having financial problems. In the end that didn't help.

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
Tesla just recently got a grip on manufacturing model 3. Follow up visits should go down and service will improve. Tesla is also building 0.5 million sq ft facility for parts storage so that aspect should improve as well soon.

Tesla just recently got a grip on manufacturing model 3. Follow up visits should go down and service will improve. Tesla is also building 0.5 million sq ft facility for parts storage so that aspect should improve as well soon.
Do you have any data backing up the statement on production quality improving significantly? If so, what does that mean, what percentage of cars is expected to see service in first 4 months after delivery?

Do you have any data backing up the statement on production quality improving significantly? If so, what does that mean, what percentage of cars is expected to see service in first 4 months after delivery?

My evidence is that it is impossible to ramp up to 5k a week with the same rate of failure as in beginning of the year. SC would not take it and we would see huge increase in complaints.

My evidence is that it is impossible to ramp up to 5k a week with the same rate of failure as in beginning of the year. SC would not take it and we would see huge increase in complaints.
Where are you tracking the number of complaints? The service appointment times keep on growing, and so do parts wait times, so not sure what data you base your opinion on, other than hopeful thinking. Or are you saying that the wait times are growing because the first 110,000 Model 3's produced are now breaking down, but the new ones are all problem free?

Where are you tracking the number of complaints? The service appointment times keep on growing, and so do parts wait times, so not sure what data you base your opinion on, other than hopeful thinking. Or are you saying that the wait times are growing because the first 110,000 Model 3's produced are now breaking down, but the new ones are all problem free?

Issues have not increased with huge, almost exponential production increase. Tesla has always been reactive in their deployment but they are not standing still. Just check out Lathrop Distribution Center being built in California - over 800 000 sq feet building that is presumed to be parts warehouse and distribution.

Issues have not increased with huge, almost exponential production increase. Tesla has always been reactive in their deployment but they are not standing still. Just check out Lathrop Distribution Center being built in California - over 800 000 sq feet building that is presumed to be parts warehouse and distribution.
I keep asking you for any data supporting that issues have decreased, but all your "data" is you saying so. You have provided no data whatsoever to support it, though you did change your position from "issues have decreased" to "issues have not increased". Tesla building an 800,000 sq ft distribution center isn't data supporting that production issues are decreasing so not sure why you bring it up. Repeating "things are getting better" doesn't prove it so, no matter how many times you say it.

That's my only concern. I don't really care about the pano, but I do care about mounting points for a rack. I sure hope like the model 3, even if it's got a glass roof, there will be mounting points.
Does anyone know if the all-glass on Model S does indeed have mounting points? I was hoping to use the Whisperbar on my 2018, but looks like that may not be an option.

I have my doubts. I don’t think they ever figured out how to make it reliable. Have taken mine in for rattles and leaks multiple times now... pretty much given up.

Panoramic roofs have been available for decades and I bet the assembly actually comes from a supplier. If they can make the falcon wing doors work, they should be able to make the panoramic roofs work.

This was a super popular feature that was likely chosen by over 80% of customers! I really hope like the ventilated seats, they will bring this feature back...

If we wanted the damn leaks we'd be driving fossil mobiles or hydrogen bomb ones, those are guaranteed to have leaks. But as middle-aged men many of us are rather touchy about leaks, they are a real show stopper, a no go (or all go). o_O
The rattles are a true mockery of what Tesla is about, proving the EV is quieter and better. Can't take them seriously anymore.
Make no mistake though, being able to open that pano roof on a crispy fall day and take the car for a drive in the hills is a true blissful nirvana. It makes every single one of the ten million aluminum and copper pennies smelted to make this beast worth it.

Reactions: David29