Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RIP Vin #783

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume the thin sheet is attached to thicker frame rails so you could potentially weld in a slightly thicker sheet which should take care of any strength lost through welding. Or use adhesive as was previously suggested, or a combo of rivets and adhesive. I don't see how the frame was distorted in such a way that a pack couldn't be removed, and if it can be removed it can be replaced.

I don't see how the frame was distorted in such a way that a pack couldn't be removed, and if it can be removed it can be replaced.

I agree, I think Tesla just said that so they didn't have to mess with it. I didn't see any distortion from the impact, plus it was mostly a vertical impact working towards the rear, there was no side to side impact. Its the sides that are very close, I believe the pack has lots of space to move towards the rear of the car. I'd be more concern of the battery box being distorted, not the frame. The hit was towards the center of the car/pack, so that distributed the hit/stresses more evenly across the rear frame crossmember piece that was cut and the pack that was pressed by the road object.

and so everybody forgets to mention what I think is obvious - had this been a gasoline powered car, the outcome of this could have been far far worse....gas cars catch fire every day = not worthy for the news. a volt catches fire = in the news. fisker karmas catch fire = news. 2 Tesla Model S's catch fire = big news. A Tesla EV that runs over an object ripping through it's battery compartment and causes significant frame damage but no fire = everybody forgets bc nothing "horrible" enough happened to be put in the news ....funny how that works.

I think Tesla's statement is accurate to an extent. The battery box, like the MS battery is part of the structure of the Roadster frame. If that was compromised then the entire battery case would have to be replaced (not just the sheets or cells).

The question is, if Augie repairs the smaller rips an tears in the underside, will they sell him a new battery? I imagine they will (and possibly they have to?) but then who would install it if Tesla refuses? By by all accountants the surgery of installing the 900 lb box from underneath is very difficult.

I ran over a rock in the middle of the road in my Porsche Boxster a few years ago. The SUV in front of me went right over it and by the time I realized how large it was it was too late to avoid it. I stopped and looked under the car but I couldn't tell where it hit. I was only 3 miles from home so I drove home and went inside to get the number for the place I used to service the car. When I went back out to the garage there were 15 quarts of oil on the garage floor.
I had to have the car taken to the garage on a flatbed. While it was up on the lift they showed me the hole the rock put in the oil pan. A couple of inches in any direction there was a bolt that held the oil pan on. If the rock had hit any of those bolt heads it would have torn up both the oil pan and the block above. That would have meant a new engine - totaling the car.
As it was, I was super lucky that I only needed an oil pan and I shouldn't have driven the car the last 3 miles home because a disaster could have happened at any point on the way home.

I think Tesla's statement is accurate to an extent. The battery box, like the MS battery is part of the structure of the Roadster frame. If that was compromised then the entire battery case would have to be replaced (not just the sheets or cells).

The question is, if Augie repairs the smaller rips an tears in the underside, will they sell him a new battery? I imagine they will (and possibly they have to?) but then who would install it if Tesla refuses? By by all accountants the surgery of installing the 900 lb box from underneath is very difficult.

I think I have a candidate who'll be down for a battery drop task, I talked to him about it before this and he was interested. He knows about the 900lb weight of the pack, how tight it is take it out/in, and that it needs to be up on a lift which he has. He's close to Tesla as well and has already built a relationship with them so this should be able to work out :)

Here's a pic of the Roadster Tub, look how beefy the tub is in the back... there's no way that tub suffered any damage to cause the pack to get wedged in there. I also don't think the damage to the pack was so extensive to compromise the removal, again it was an upward / front to back impact, not side to side. I don't think removing and installing a pack is that hard of a task, you just have to go slow and keep an eye on the left and right sides of the pack. If the car is up on a proper high-lift and a proper scissor or equivalent jack system is used for the pack that allows slow up/down increments, it can be done rather painlessly :

tesla-roadster-battery.jpg

Last edited:
As a owner of a Roadster currently without a battery, and with me inspecting my ESS open frame mounting points often of late. I have to agree with wiztecy that the damage to the pack doesn't look so extensive to compromise the removal of the battery.

I am very sorry for you and 783! I am also very sad that the frame is so fragile. I would NEVER say anything bad about Tesla Service because of the totally positive experience I have had over the past two years and 30,000 miles........ But ....... Many if not most of the old techs that serviced, took apart to repair, and creatively maintained our Roadsters have moved up in the chain of command and aren't hands on anymore. Tesla Service may not be possible due to Ms matters and the time needed in the service bay to attempt a repair. I hate to say it but maybe they just don't want to do it.

I know you have agonized over this but wiztecy's idea seems like a "try". For the life of 783 maybe contacting the guy just to know if he thinks 783 could be saved would be appropriate. Then you could make an informed decision before pulling the plug.

.......... Again....sorry for this loss to out Roadster Fleet.
Kinda makes me sick

It's quite possible that most service center staff are diagnostic and parts replacement people. Structural repair such as this is something completely different, though quite possible to do. To me 783 is not dead, just in a coma waiting for resurrection by a qualified team.

It's quite possible that most service center staff are diagnostic and parts replacement people. Structural repair such as this is something completely different, though quite possible to do. To me 783 is not dead, just in a coma waiting for resurrection by a qualified team.

I agree. With the little bit of knowledge we have, it seems VERY possible to resurrect this car.

Yes but where to find the team? Most likely the people at Tesla are busy with Model S issues. 783 isn't *really* dead, it's just dying patient. I drove it home from the service center today no problems except for my range anxiety. Here's the current condition of the pack now and range/standard charge miles - I had about 160/130 range/standard miles two weeks ago when I bought it to the service center.

2013-11-02 14.32.47.jpg
2013-11-02 14.32.57.jpg
2013-11-02 14.33.08.jpg
2013-11-02 14.33.23.jpg
2013-11-02 14.33.39.jpg
2013-11-02 14.33.53.jpg

I don't understand the frame damage. Tesla routinely used to replace Roadster battery packs. Many I their CPOs have had entire packs taken out, refurbished and put back in. What happened in this incident that makes it impossibly hard?

I don't understand the frame damage. Tesla routinely used to replace Roadster battery packs. Many I their CPOs have had entire packs taken out, refurbished and put back in. What happened in this incident that makes it impossibly hard?
Here's what they told me -

Unfortunately we will not be able to service this vehicle since we are unable to remove and reinstall the battery due to the frame damage. The battery may not fit back in as the alignment will be off.

- - - Updated - - -

They let you drive it home in that condition? I think a damaged battery pack is a bit dangerous isn't it? Do you park in a garage?
It's been a month since the "puncture" and there's less energy being stored so I doubt that there's a chance of fire.