Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rip vin p01653

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having 31,000 Model S miles under my belt helped me decide which options were worth it. It also helped me with a decision on which car to get. No other car entered my mind :).
I think that you are going to be very happy. If I were to do it again, my build would be almost identical to yours minus the sound upgrade, which is funny since I currently have a Grey S85, Black leather, etc.:wink:

I may take you up on the wheels/tires. I'm visiting in Norfolk now (sans MS) but there's a chance I may need
them for my wife's car which is coming next month...Perhaps I can swing down in the fall and grab the wheels/tires.

That would be great. I'd even be willing to head up north (some) to meet you.

If I can find someone interested in new 19s, I might be able to get aftermarket 20s put on right when I take delivery, leaving almost no mileage on the wheels or tires.

AmpedRealtor, what are your premiums like for that type of coverage?

Ahh - ok - that makes sense. Seems like good protection. How much more are premiums over a "normal" policy to get this?

My apologies in taking so long to respond.

My premium through Encompass for 250/500 comprehensive coverage, $500 deductible, windshield coverage, agreed value and inclusion in my $1M umbrella policy came to around $1,300 per year w/ multi policy discount. You can probably get it for less if you don't need umbrella coverage, then you can reduce your comprehensive to 100/300 and bump upyour deductible.

I see. That's really interesting. So presumably you track the agreed value, roughly, to the car's depreciated value + some amount that gets you to where you'd need to be to get another one? Or do you continue to settle on a dollar amount near the original sticker price?

Another poster earlier in the thread had a good point: I wonder how this affect's the company's desire to total a car? If they know the agreed value is $100k and it needs $80k of repairs, will they repair it rather than totaling it out like would happen under traditional insurance?

Unfortunately I don't know, but when it comes up for renewal in a year I will definitely know and would be happy to share the info.

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hate reading threads like this. Your spec was more or less the same as mine, and I agree with your new spec (and the bit about getting used to the standard 85!), but I'd go for the new grey having seen the side by side pics on another thread, and pass on the sound upgrade and go straight for the Reus upgrade instead.

So sorry to hear about the accident. I'm sure you along with all of us try to take great care of our wonderful, BEST CAR ON THE PLANET, MODEL S. Glad everyone is OK. About your new build, I have never driven a more smooth car, some of that is obviously because no ICE but I do attribute it also to the air suspension. I would at least drive one without it first to see if it made a difference. If I couldn't drive one first, I would have to order the air suspension for fear it would not be as smooth.Just my thoughts. I hope you get your car soon.

Just confirmed my new P85 order...er...9 minutes ago. All is as I posted a few posts up but I made two changes:

1. I'm going to get the tan interior, not black interior.

2. I'm not getting Tesla's sound upgrade. Couldn't justify the cost given the so-so quality. Instead, I'll be getting the Reus aftermarket sound system. (Talked to Rick and Cliff on the phone and they seem really nice!)

Just confirmed my new P85 order...er...9 minutes ago. All is as I posted a few posts up but I made two changes:

1. I'm going to get the tan interior, not black interior.

2. I'm not getting Tesla's sound upgrade. Couldn't justify the cost given the so-so quality. Instead, I'll be getting the Reus aftermarket sound system. (Talked to Rick and Cliff on the phone and they seem really nice!)

You're the man!

@AmpedRealtor, having checked with my present insurer, I don't qualify because this is the only car I have registered in my name, and I drive it routinely. Did you encounter issues related to those constraints?

No, they simply asked me how many miles do I drive annually and whether I have experience driving performance cars. I do own multiple vehicles, however, so my name is on title to more than one car and several properties which were also covered at the same time.

The agreed value is good for the first year. When the policy renews, we renegotiate the agreed value at that time. The fact that I was able to obtain an agreed value for the next year of $106k based upon the car already being almost a year old, the hope is that if the car were a total loss then I would recover more than ACV (actual cash value) for the car and an amount guaranteed to cover my loan amount.

I wonder if they will ever agree that a car is a total loss or, would they try to fix it. In other words, they will not want to declare it totaled.

Last edited:
<snip>

So, this morning I did just that. Here's my new config:

Black P85
Alcantara Headliner
Alcantara Dashboard Trim
Pano Roof
Coil Suspension
Black Nappa Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Decor
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Parking Sensors
Premium Lighting
Tech Package
Red Brake Calipers
Sound Upgrade
Standard 19" Wheels.

I think I will remove the 19s at delivery, sell them, and replace them with aftermarket black 20" wheels. If anyone will be in the market for a new pair of 19" tires with wheels around October, let me know :).

</snip>

Everyone who needs winter wheels should be PMing Todd like crazy to get those 19s ...

Well, here she is!
image.jpg

Just picked her up today, 10 days prior to expected delivery date. Soooooo nice to be back in the Tesla saddle again! Be on the lookout soon for a detailed "VIN1653 vs. VIN55228: Model S Evolution" thread in which I'll detail how things have changed on the Model S over the last 2 years.