Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it would rip in heavy rain alone. I was being a bit silly on the road and saw a gigantic puddle that was probably 3-4 inches deep. I decided to accelerate hard through the puddle to splash the water to the side of the road (no there was not any pedestrians I was trying to soak :p). I think if you go through large puddles carefully you shouldn't have an issue. I'm fairly certain this was a result of me being slightly too reckless. However I do think that this part needs some re-evaluation by Tesla. I've never encountered a problem like this in any other car I've owned.

That’s fair. We can no longer drive through puddles like we did as teens haha

I’m confused on why we didn’t see any of these reports last fall/winter. Did they switch materials?
Probably mostly due to there only being around 2000-2500 Model 3's on the road at the end of last year. Now there's somewhere around 100,000 Model 3's so there is an increased likelihood of problems surfacing like this.
It looks like non-employee (of Tesla/SpaceX) deliveries of the 3 didn't happen until mid-Dec 2017 per Tesla Model 3 Non-Employee Deliveries To Start Next Week and First Confirmed Non-Employee Delivery Of The Tesla Model 3. Given that, it seems likely the employees might've been under NDA or under pressure/felt obligated/instructed to not post about any problems w/their 3's. IIRC, Tesla (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) has some policies that discourage employees posting on social media, like this forum.

Per http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/ae336f83-b5ea-4bd0-966d-ee0dd327f44c (for Q4 2017) "In Q4, we delivered 28,425 Model S and Model X vehicles and 1,542 Model 3 vehicles..." For Q3 (http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/d68bddfe-6f2b-4f8f-bed0-94dd7a49cc0f) "In Q3, we delivered 25,915 Model S and Model X vehicles and 222 Model 3 vehicles.,.."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
Today I noticed a piece of the undercarriage liner nearly torn free - it was only attached by a few threads. This is a small section, about 6" x 6", and I don't remember running over any debris. Is this anything I need to worry about short term? I'm hoping the service center will be able to repair the area, as they did offer me a two year bumper to bumper warranty for delays related to delivery on my 3.

Not sure but there's a thread on here somewhere about people finding their undercarriage "fabric" hanging down. Haven't read the thread in a few weeks but recall people saying they thought it might have been exposed to rain water splashing up or somehow getting on the fabric and weighing it down, tearing from the bolts that anchored it to the car. I'll see if I can find the thread and link. Possibly your situation is the same or similar.

Here's the thread: Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

I paid to have mine replaced, rather than have a giant hole there.

Looking at it, post-repair, it's easy to see how the design is flawed.

On my car, the front lip of the protector does not sit flush with the car, so no wonder it can potentially catch water.

CNGpMws.jpg

When I was checking out my car I noticed the plastic under-cover that attaches to the bumper has a lip around the entire thing. If water gets in there, it acts like a kiddie pool. There's nowhere for the water to go. I think I might drill a couple of holes on the bottom of it.

Reactions: Michel3
Yeah, we had a huge rainstorm in central NJ last night and I definitely went thru a large "puddle" at speed. That same 6" x 6" section can loose and I'm driving around with it scraping the ground.

Some folks think this could be more than a minor issue; that water can get in there more easily. Should this be a priority appointment at the service center (which isn't that close)? I couldn't schedule until Thursday, 4 days from now.

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt
I get to join the club now too. It doesn't even look like there was much of anything to hold it in place (see the spot that looks like where a screw hole may have been, very close to the corner). It's raining a bit outside with some puddles, but nothing significant at all

1a0S1V9.jpg

Other side:
JZIiw8w.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and TQCLove
I see a possible aftermarket product here. Made in aluminium with proper attachment and drain holes.
I have Citroën DS cars, which had an almost flat underside, being produced 1955-1975. They have an aluminium underbody part under the engine and transmission, to guide airflow, diminish drag and protect from debris.
Something like this should be put on Model 3, in stead of something weak like they did.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo