Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ranger just left - the part isn't available right now, and he said he didn't hear specifically that it was for a new revision, but it is possible. I also got a turn signal software update to fix it not disabling the turn signal on a half pull (which was on top of the 2018.50 I got last night)

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
Still the same, 2018.50 7e49f8a, although I did get the notifications from the app that a new update was ready and then installed while he worked on it, he said it was a manual one they do on a car-by-car basis if needed
Some clarification (just got my invoice details): The entire steering column control module ( part 1097662-00-L ) was replaced, that's probably why they had to reprogram it. I didn't realize they did that much work!

As far as the rear, ripped part, it just says "Replacement component not available at time of on-site repairs. Follow up for installation once the replacement component arrives."

What is the name of this cover (both front and rear)? Aero something or other?

Ski
The rear is the mid-aero cover

C1RTZRg.png

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Didn't know this thread existed. Had mine replaced about a month after getting my car. Fell apart after the very first rain even though I avoided all possible puddles. Mine was replaced under warranty, but yeah this thing needs to get redesigned after we've all had them break in the same spot..

Ditto (happened within a week of delivery upon the first rain I encountered) - and although it was replaced under warranty, it was only after some back and forth that they covered it.

@JeffK,

Thanks Jeff! That’s the name “Mid Aero Diffuser”.

Ski

Mid aero but not diffuser...diffuser is the adjacent piece...

Printed on aero cover:

“M3 Mid Aero Performance”

The diffuser is actually the rear piece, which is what is in the picture above (the aero cover is in the parts list in the image, but not actually included in the diagram - see my actual pictures of the aero cover above). As far as the diffuser goes, the rear diffuser has to be removed along with the painted bumper cover, and then can be detached from the bumper cover; the two pieces are held together by about 8 (?) bolts and numerous flat interlocking plastic tabs (all visible in the diagram).

The aero cover can be easily removed by simply removing the 13 10mm bolts that hold it on. But it is important protection and should be left intact!

They have changed the part - new part # is M3 MID AERO, LWRT (1104313-00-B)

Mine was replaced last week, took just under 2 weeks to get the part which seems fortunate as they said it's still very new and back ordered. The service center advised the replacement is so new that most techs haven't seen it yet.

It was a warranty repair. Anyone that paid for the replacement should follow up as they wouldn't change/improve the part if there wasn't a known issue.

Mine was replaced last week, took just under 2 weeks to get the part which seems fortunate as they said it's still very new and back ordered. The service center advised the replacement is so new that most techs haven't seen it yet.

It was a warranty repair. Anyone that paid for the replacement should follow up as they wouldn't change/improve the part if there wasn't a known issue.

Do you have any pics? Notice any changes/difference between the new part# and old one?

For science, someone should remove their revision B part and take some pictures. Or just take a picture under the car at the offending part which is the edge of the shield, on the right side of the little “square” at the back of the battery pack. I assume it will look different.

Agreed - no one should have paid for this repair, if the design has been updated in a way that addresses the perceived shortfalls in this thread.

I guess this means for future ripped aero shields we’re going to be asking what version people have. Unfortunately it has to be removed to find out.

as they wouldn't change/improve the part if there wasn't a known issue.

That isn't true at all. They could change the part to reduce costs, make it faster/easier to install, make it lighter, to improve airflow, or any other number of non-issue reasons.

In this case the change is likely related to the issues, but that isn't always the reason.

That isn't true at all. They could change the part to reduce costs, make it faster/easier to install, make it lighter, to improve airflow, or any other number of non-issue reasons.

In this case the change is likely related to the issues, but that isn't always the reason.

Well partially true but I understand your point. They were mistakenly sent the old part and didn't install it and send me on my way.