Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in another similar thread and it is still relevant here:

Mine is damaged as well, but I think in the rear. It was noticed when I was in for service by Tesla's repair staff. I'm waiting for a part to come in for it, but I think they quoted me somewhere in the $100-200 range for the part? I can't remember at this point.

They first tried to tell me that high water could rip it (yeah, right) but then they mentioned that it could also be debris that had been run over that ripped it. I asked them if this was a common issue, but both the rep and the manager both claim that my Model 3 was the first they've seen of this particular damage. They both claimed that when they previously worked for other automaker dealerships, this was a relatively uncommon issue, but still one that can happen to any car. We ultimately came to the conclusion that it's a sacrificial part meant to protect the actually important parts of the drivetrain from damage.

My feeling is that most of these issues occur in the rear protector due to the front tires kicking water up along the battery which would cause it to happen in water that is otherwise shallower than would catch on the front protector, but I also haven't looked at the front protector to see if it has a similar lip as the rear.

Mine tore as well. I haven't gone through any water I live in the Desert and it hasn't rained here for months. And I am the only person who has driven my car in the two weeks I have owned it. I looked around under the car and one of the bolts is missing. I am guessing that the airflow catching the piece as I drove eventually caused it to tear. I am an engineer and work on jet aircraft. I showed the pictures to our aerodynamics engineer and he agreed that most probably caused by airflow. This is a piss poor design and I see many failures coming down the pike. If it can't survive the dry climate in the So Cal desert how will it handle the snow and rain of the northeast? I see a recall coming.

@bigroccrek Interesting that yours is the first I've heard where the damage occurred without it raining. If a missing bolt can cause this issue from wind resistance alone, I suspect that's a bit telling.

At any rate, I got a response back from the Tesla Executive Care team and pointed them at this thread and the other thread on the Tesla forum, so hopefully we can get some official eyes on the issue outside of the service centers.

@bigroccrek Interesting that yours is the first I've heard where the damage occurred without it raining. If a missing bolt can cause this issue from wind resistance alone, I suspect that's a bit telling.

At any rate, I got a response back from the Tesla Executive Care team and pointed them at this thread and the other thread on the Tesla forum, so hopefully we can get some official eyes on the issue outside of the service centers.

Thanks for contacting them. Mine is fine so far but looking under the car I can see how that material could be an issue over time.

I've had this happen on my former Porsche before. I hit a puddle and it broke some of the plastic undercarriage and it was dragging on the ground. If it's a “composite” though I suppose it's more likely to happen?

Mine tore as well. I haven't gone through any water I live in the Desert and it hasn't rained here for months. And I am the only person who has driven my car in the two weeks I have owned it. I looked around under the car and one of the bolts is missing. I am guessing that the airflow catching the piece as I drove eventually caused it to tear. I am an engineer and work on jet aircraft. I showed the pictures to our aerodynamics engineer and he agreed that most probably caused by airflow. This is a piss poor design and I see many failures coming down the pike. If it can't survive the dry climate in the So Cal desert how will it handle the snow and rain of the northeast? I see a recall coming.

... yes, if Musk wishes to keep his company running, he can't afford such negative publicity caused by a torn piece of undercarriage material.

Happened to me as well when I drove through a puddle in the road last weekend. I ended up ripping the loose piece off to get rid of the scraping noise. I’ve got a service appointment on Friday so I’m going to add this to my list of things to address.

Happened to me as well when I drove through a puddle in the road last weekend. I ended up ripping the loose piece off to get rid of the scraping noise. I’ve got a service appointment on Friday so I’m going to add this to my list of things to address.

This is not a good trend that appears to be starting. I will not be a very happy person at the service center if I have to bring my 3 in for this some day.

Reactions: cwerdna
Maybe Tesla didn't bother testing the 3 like Nissan did with the Leaf?

Beginning of
says depth: 300 mm which is about 11.8 inches. Skip to 0:27 to see the Leaf entering the water. People have joked that this is what's needed at CHAdeMO chargers for Leafs. :D

Was pointed out at Leaf Torture Test Video - My Nissan Leaf Forum

I wish I understood Japanese to confirm the water depth was 700 mm (which is actually 27.55 inches) but it sure looks a lot deeper than the 300 mm test. Leaf enters the water at ~27:46.

GM did similar water testing with the Volt. And probably Bolt too.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I’m confused on why we didn’t see any of these reports last fall/winter. Did they switch materials?

Probably mostly due to there only being around 2000-2500 Model 3's on the road at the end of last year. Now there's somewhere around 100,000 Model 3's so there is an increased likelihood of problems surfacing like this.

Anyway I dropped my 3 off at the service center today for them to address this and a handful of other minor things. They had pre-ordered the splash-guard (whatever it is) part so it was ready to install should it require replacing. I was told since this was due to damage from a road hazard it wouldn't be covered by the warranty and I'm fine with that. However they are doing my tire rotations complementary so it sort of events out. I'll be more careful to not speed through gigantic puddles going forward.

Probably mostly due to there only being around 2000-2500 Model 3's on the road at the end of last year. Now there's somewhere around 100,000 Model 3's so there is an increased likelihood of problems surfacing like this.

Anyway I dropped my 3 off at the service center today for them to address this and a handful of other minor things. They had pre-ordered the splash-guard (whatever it is) part so it was ready to install should it require replacing. I was told since this was due to damage from a road hazard it wouldn't be covered by the warranty and I'm fine with that. However they are doing my tire rotations complementary so it sort of events out. I'll be more careful to not speed through gigantic puddles going forward.

I will be interested to see how this plays out over the winter for me. I will avoid puddles but if it rips in just heavy rain I will NOT be paying for the fix as that is absurd. This car can’t just be made for Californians.

Reactions: Ulmo
I will be interested to see how this plays out over the winter for me. I will avoid puddles but if it rips in just heavy rain I will NOT be paying for the fix as that is absurd. This car can’t just be made for Californians.

I doubt it would rip in heavy rain alone. I was being a bit silly on the road and saw a gigantic puddle that was probably 3-4 inches deep. I decided to accelerate hard through the puddle to splash the water to the side of the road (no there was not any pedestrians I was trying to soak :p). I think if you go through large puddles carefully you shouldn't have an issue. I'm fairly certain this was a result of me being slightly too reckless. However I do think that this part needs some re-evaluation by Tesla. I've never encountered a problem like this in any other car I've owned.