Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one in the front has issues too? I've only seen people post about the rear aero shield ripping.
Mine was recently replaced. One half tore off while driving on the highway. While a small scrape indicated something hit it on the side that tore. The whole cover was waterlogged and sagging. Only water I had encountered was normal water on road from recent snow melting. Cost just over $300 to replace it.

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
I hope they do a service bulletin on this part and replace it when people come in with something that works.
There is now a service bulletin addressing this:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10153430-9999.pdf

Condition
On some Model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be susceptible to damage when driving through standing water. Updated panels are available which have a more robust design than the original panels.

Correction
Upon customer complaint of missing or damaged front and/or mid aero shield panels, inspect the panels, and if necessary, replace both panels with updated parts.

Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately November 29, 2018.

Condition
On some Model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be susceptible to damage when driving through standing water. Updated panels are available which have a more robust design than the original panels.

Correction
Upon customer complaint of missing or damaged front and/or mid aero shield panels, inspect the panels, and if necessary, replace both panels with updated parts.

Affected VIN(s) Affected Model 3 vehicles built before approximately November 29, 2018.

Great news!

Condition

Correction

Nicefind. It looks like the TSB is from January. Maybe they found that fix/part not quite good enough, and yet another harder plastic solution is on its way?

Wonder if they'll replace the existing non-damaged ones with the new ones as a preventative measure?

Looking at the TSB, it initially says this (red emphasis by me):

This repair bulletin provides instructions and guidelines for a noted condition or a customer concern.

So if I'm concerned about it, it should be addressed. However, later below it has this:

Mine are fine, but I haven't gone thru much water or driven in the rain much. But would prefer to have the newer updated ones.

--Cintoman

Wonder if they'll replace the existing non-damaged ones with the new ones as a preventative measure?

Looking at the TSB, it initially says this (red emphasis by me):

This repair bulletin provides instructions and guidelines for a noted condition or a customer concern.

So if I'm concerned about it, it should be addressed. However, later below it has this:

Mine are fine, but I haven't gone thru much water or driven in the rain much. But would prefer to have the newer updated ones.

--Cintoman
They won't ... if you're concerned then they will inspect it and follow the procedure... part of which is:

If both panels are present and not damaged, lower the vehicle and discontinue this procedure.

Does a TSB imply that the repair is done under warranty, or is it simply instructions to replace the parts?
AFAIK a TSB does not imply a legal entitlement to a repair under warranty, but it makes a strong case that this is a known design flaw and should help convince the service center to do it under warranty. However, I would only bring it up if they balk. And don't expect a "preemptive" swapping of the part if yours isn't actually damaged.

Has anyone else got theirs replaced under "warranty" yet? If not did you bring up the TSB? One front bit of my front aero shield let loose today after driving through some heavy rain, noticed it once I was on the highway. I scheduled a visit for two weeks out, I'm hoping to know if they plan to charge me for a replacement (or hopefully a newly designed part) before they fix it.

If I'm going to get charged I'd be tempted to cut off the flap and wait for another to fail.

Mine got torn off today. It's the front one. I found some used ones on ebay, and they seem to have damages on the corner, just like mine. Does anyone know if a Ranger can come and replace this specifically? Has anyone gotten this done via the TSB? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190702_145933.jpg
    20190702_145933.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 498
  • Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Thank you all for posting about this issue. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain.
20190820_213325.jpg
20190820_213330.jpg