Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for posting about this issue. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain.

Very informative. I hope you get a good response through one of those agencies.

Thank you all for posting about this issue. It really educated me when the same thing happened to me and it got me angry. My Mid Aero Shield was damaged last week in the rain. I was shocked to find out Telsa was not covering it under warranty, especially with the TSB that was issued earlier this year. My Model 3 is 2 months old and I live in Miami where it rains, hard, all summer. After reading all the damaged aero shield posts on this forum and others, I'm more annoyed. I wrote Tesla and I'm attempting to invoked arbitration on this issue. I have also complained to the NHSTA, DOT, Florida AG's Office, the CFPB and the Better Business Bureau. Its really not about the $214 it cost to replace the shield. Its about a clearly defective part that should be recalled and replaced. The service guy at the Tesla Coral Gables service center said the Tesla mid aero shield, part # 1104313-00-B, is the number 1 stocked item at their service center. Yes, I had the new aero shield required by the TSB and it still failed. I paid $60k for a car i cant drive in the rain.
View attachment 445526 View attachment 445527

That sucks! But I am glad it would only cost around $200 bucks; I thought it would be at least $500. I am pretty sure I will be paying out of my pocket for the next one. BTW, Tesla replaced mine for free after 27k.

That sucks! But I am glad it would only cost around $200 bucks; I thought it would be at least $500. I am pretty sure I will be paying out of my pocket for the next one. BTW, Tesla replaced mine for free after 27k.
Did they replace the old TSB part? Or did they replace the newer part for free? I think there is a disparity on how service center are addressing this issue.

If I understand you correctly, they replaced it with a brand new one which was exactly the same design. I've read that they improved on the design/material. So, I just sprayed flexseal on it to make it waterproof and more sturdy. I am trying to avoid Tesla service like the plague...they're very busy here in SoCal.

Reactions: Olds442
My turn. Drove through a puddle at 35mph or so, didn’t see it in time to slow down. Wasn’t that deep, but apparently deep enough. Ripped the aeroshield. Sigh design flaw. Service appointment on Thursday.

Attachments

• D367DC73-A315-489E-A0A3-5CBBFFA39E66.jpeg
    D367DC73-A315-489E-A0A3-5CBBFFA39E66.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Informative
Reactions: Scott7
My front aero shield is completely ripped on the bottom screws (closest to battery) and my mid aero shield is missing a small chunk. Took it to the Dania beach service center and they are trying to make me pay for it, when I brought up the TSB he said I already have the new parts. My car was built before Nov 2018 (as the TSB states) and I checked the part my self and they are revision A. Can anyone help me on what I should do to get this covered?

• Informative
Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Best bet for everyone is to invoke arbitration with Tesla over this issue. I just got a call from my service center and they were offering me a $100 service credit towards my next appointment. I turned it down. I'm not going to settle with them. Nothing less than a full refund of the $214 they charged me. You are going to have to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your state Attorney General office. The more people complain the better. Send an email to [email protected] to invoke arbitration and begin the process. They have to pay for the arbitration and it has to be in your area, so you have nothing to loss.

Send an email to [email protected] to invoke arbitration and begin the process. They have to pay for the arbitration and it has to be in your area, so you have nothing to loss.

They will 100% ignore your requests to resolutions@... Been there, done that... It is a complete black hole. I sent dozens of emails stating my desire to start arbitration and not a one was responded to over a several month period. You can still send your request though, because I think it is in the contract that you are supposed to. I would go ahead and file the case though and not wait on a response that will never come and only waste your time.

You have to go to https://www.adr.org and file a case yourself. This is the form you need to fill out and submit. https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer_Demand_for_Arbitration_Form_1.pdf You can email [email protected] if you have questions on how to initiate the process. Then they will send an email to you and the Tesla general council assigned to the case and that will promptly be ignored as well and Tesla will be in zero hurry to pay the filing fees (that are several grand) that are required to start arbitration. Then you will probably get frustrated a month or two later and respond to that email asking Tesla's general council to pay the damn fees already so you can get the show on the road... Then they will go back and forth with you and offer to settle if you first respond to the arbitration email asking the case to be dismissed.

Personally, if you have the time, I would go through arbitration and not settle with Tesla... I don't know if it is worth it for you on this issue, but if you have a more serious grievance, I would definitely not settle. I shouldn't have. They will try to scare you saying they are offering you what you asked for and they will seek reimbursement for a 'frivolous filing' but they are just asshat lawyers trying to scare you. Consumers need these things on record, not quietly settling and signing a 'i won't sue you' paper. Tesla already had their chance to settle when you sent your email to resolutions@ and probably umpteen other email addresses if you are like me.

Just my 2c.

• Helpful
They will 100% ignore your requests to resolutions@... Been there, done that... It is a complete black hole. I sent dozens of emails stating my desire to start arbitration and not a one was responded to over a several month period. You can still send your request though, because I think it is in the contract that you are supposed to. I would go ahead and file the case though and not wait on a response that will never come and only waste your time.

You have to go to https://www.adr.org and file a case yourself. This is the form you need to fill out and submit. https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer_Demand_for_Arbitration_Form_1.pdf You can email [email protected] if you have questions on how to initiate the process. Then they will send an email to you and the Tesla general council assigned to the case and that will promptly be ignored as well and Tesla will be in zero hurry to pay the filing fees (that are several grand) that are required to start arbitration. Then you will probably get frustrated a month or two later and respond to that email asking Tesla's general council to pay the damn fees already so you can get the show on the road... Then they will go back and forth with you and offer to settle if you first respond to the arbitration email asking the case to be dismissed.

Personally, if you have the time, I would go through arbitration and not settle with Tesla... I don't know if it is worth it for you on this issue, but if you have a more serious grievance, I would definitely not settle. I shouldn't have. They will try to scare you saying they are offering you what you asked for and they will seek reimbursement for a 'frivolous filing' but they are just asshat lawyers trying to scare you. Consumers need these things on record, not quietly settling and signing a 'i won't sue you' paper. Tesla already had their chance to settle when you sent your email to resolutions@ and probably umpteen other email addresses if you are like me.

Just my 2c.
I got a call from Tesla on Friday asking me to settle for a full refund plus credit for my next service visit, but the refund would take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. Not should if I'm going to accept. I have a meeting scheduled with someone from the Florida Attorney General's office this Thursday. Apparently, other people in Florida have complained about the same issue.

Tesla refund is contingent on me dropping my request for arbitration and all other complaints, and no longer posting on this issue on any forums.

This has totaling destroyed my Tesla owner experience.

I got a call from Tesla on Friday asking me to settle for a full refund plus credit for my next service visit, but the refund would take 6 to 8 weeks to arrive. Not should if I'm going to accept. I have a meeting scheduled with someone from the Florida Attorney General's office this Thursday. Apparently, other people in Florida have complained about the same issue.

Tesla refund is contingent on me dropping my request for arbitration and all other complaints, and no longer posting on this issue on any forums.

This has totaling destroyed my Tesla owner experience.

So after driving through standing water, tearing apart the aero shield, having it replaced for a (reasonable) $214, then making a bunch of noise, getting a full refund and future service credits... you think your experience is ruined?

No problem, I’ll take that beat up piece of junk Model 3 off your hands. I’ll even pay you TRIPLE the cost of the aero shield replacement. Where should I send the $642?

So after driving through standing water, tearing apart the aero shield, having it replaced for a (reasonable) $214, then making a bunch of noise, getting a full refund and future service credits... you think your experience is ruined?

No problem, I’ll take that beat up piece of junk Model 3 off your hands. I’ll even pay you TRIPLE the cost of the aero shield replacement. Where should I send the $642?
Nice to know you and other folks are willings to give all your money to Tesla, that's your choice. I'd rather paid $55k to a company that makes a great car, and stands behind their product. I love my Tesla. It's the greatest car I ever owned. However, the "Tesla Experience" should go beyond the car and the fact the they will not stand behind an obvious design flaw makes me question what else is wrong with the company and my car. Look what happened to Apple and Samsung when they denied their design flaws. Eventuatlly, they both had to acknowledge them and fix them. If we don't speak up, nothing will happen.

Nice to know you and other folks are willings to give all your money to Tesla, that's your choice. I'd rather paid $55k to a company that makes a great car, and stands behind their product. I love my Tesla. It's the greatest car I ever owned. However, the "Tesla Experience" should go beyond the car and the fact the they will not stand behind an obvious design flaw makes me question what else is wrong with the company and my car. Look what happened to Apple and Samsung when they denied their design flaws. Eventuatlly, they both had to acknowledge them and fix them. If we don't speak up, nothing will happen.

Being grumbly because a part broke, I totally understand. I do. But saying it ruins the entire experience is a little melodramatic, don’t you think?

It’s a part. Stuff breaks. Especially under a car.

Look, I had a Nissan Altima years ago that, well, had a low clearance. Drove to my sis in law’s, pulled into her somewhat steep driveway, and crushed the catalytic converters and bent the piping. Both sets. $3000 to replace the exhaust, a week after buying the car.

I wasn’t happy about it but the old phrase, “stuff happens” applies sometimes.

Just like I learned not to drive up steep driveways with the Nissan, maybe avoid driving through standing water ....

• Disagree

This is a problem for quite a good handful of people. Owners understand this is a new model and stuff happens, but it is how it is dealt with that ruins the experience... One person gets the replacement free with a smile and apology, another pays full price, another opens an arb case after paying for the fix and gets it paid for and some extra on the side for zipping their lips, etc.

Honestly, I'd probably pay $350 for one that's not going to break and drains when the car is sitting level.
Absolutely!

I've had the one between the front wheels replaced twice now. The first time I'd spent all winter driving through snow and ice and then in June hit some road debris. They charged $330 for front and mid aero shields but were nice enough to write off the labor. At the time I was sure the road debris (a piece of semi trailer tread) was what ripped a corner off. But reading this thread, it's possible it was the snow that did the damage and rolling over the tire was just the first thing that made me look under the car.

Less than three months later, no snow, no road debris, no puddles, and the brand new shield is flapping again. The only thing I can think of as a cause is driving 80 mph (speed limit in Montana) on damp pavement. No standing water, just damp pavement. The Seattle service center wouldn't repair it under warranty but they agreed to a "good will" repair.

This is an incredibly capable car in the snow. The AWD system is amazing. It should really have an underside that can deal with some abuse. I'd be happy to buy an upgraded version. Is anybody working on a Model 3 skid plate?

Reactions: Olds442
The same thing happened to my new Model 3.

I drove through a puddle on September 28 and the water ripped a piece of the rear undercarriage composite tray right next to a bolt. It was dragging pretty bad by the time I made it home.

When I went under the car to put a patch on it the next day, the tray was still wet. It felt like some kind of hard fiberglass blanket as opposed to a material designed to repel the weather.

I won't know about the actual repair until two weeks from now. That's when the first appointment was available at my local South Jersey dealership. I'm glad it wasn't worse, because I'd be really screwed.