Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla claimed that my tear was from an External Influence. I ended up paying for a new one that seem just a little more rigid. I doubt it can stand up to normal rainy driving. There has to be a consumer protection law or Class Action lawsuit against Tesla on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
How about a little foil tape?
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Foil-Tape-3381-Silver/dp/B00A7I5L86/

Looks like it'd repair that tear just fine.

I'm not saying it's right, and I sure as hel* think Tesla should be covering this nonsense, but ... I wonder if the foil tape would do the trick.
Foil Tape is a good idea. I taped mine up with aluminum tape prior to taking it in and replace it. Like someone said, they should have an aluminum bar that bridges between the floor pan and the fabric to strengthen.

Mobile service just replaced mine under warranty. The tech explained that Tesla only covers it via the service bulletin in the event it was caused by damage from a puddle/rain. Direct quote from the tech “You should be able to drive your car in the rain without any trouble”

He said they will not cover it if you bottomed you’re car out or damaged it in some other way.

I did not get the newer shield. The tech had heard of it but had not seen them show up yet in my area.

I had a Mobile Service appointment to come to take a look at this issue. They sent me a service estimate of $200. I spoke with the Cleveland Service Center and they told me that the mobile tech would make an assessment and determine if I had to pay $200 or not. The mobile tech came, took a look and said I needed to pay $200. I was totally prepared to pay the $200 but they couldn't guarantee that replacing with a new part would prevent it from happening again and that I had to pay another $200 the next time. I spoke with a couple of people at Cleveland SC and they refused to do anything about it. I'm just going to tape it up. I always used to tell people that I never had any issues with service but I guess that is not the case anymore.

Add me to this, 1 year old, water finally destroyed my front under carriage. I think 1 bolt just fell off, then possibly left it dangling as a bolt is missing. Rest water tore it lose now flaps as I drive makes horrid noise.
Made a SC appointment hopefully they fix without charging me.

Attachments

• IMG_20191204_135507.jpg
    IMG_20191204_135507.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 277
You all can add me to the list!

I have had my SR+ since July. I live in Las Vegas and I was driving my car to work this morning after the valley experienced heavy rains all day yesterday. In my area of the city there is little storm drainage infrastructure so large puddles are a way of life. Everybody drives through them or they don't get to wherever they need to go. I have driven a Model S, Honda Civic, Chevy Volt, and Saab 9-3 through the Vegas puddles over the years at varying speeds and have NEVER had anything rip off the bottom of my car.

I set up a service appointment this morning to get this repaired. If Tesla tells me that I am responsible for this repair because I damaged it by driving through a puddle, I am going to be IRATE. This is a poor design flaw and Tesla would be acting unreasonably to place the blame on the customer for something that every other car on the road can handle with ease and no damage.

Where was the disclaimer stating "cant drive through any puddles" when I purchased this $43,000.00 car?

Attachments

• Tesla 2.jpg
    Tesla 2.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Tesla 1.jpg
    Tesla 1.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 167
My mid aero shield ripped on both sides when driving through standing water in August 2019. I was driving in Northeast Portland, Oregon. I tried to get it serviced back then and the technician quoted me $165 for the part and $31 for labor ($196 total).

However, I never got a reply back when I asked for the rationale why it was not covered under warranty. I sent another text today, and the person apologized that he never got my last question and advised me to schedule another service appointment. I printed out the 2019-01-19 Service Bulletin and hope the appointment on 2019-12-18 will go without any issues.

Add me to this, 1 year old, water finally destroyed my front under carriage. I think 1 bolt just fell off, then possibly left it dangling as a bolt is missing. Rest water tore it lose now flaps as I drive makes horrid noise.
Made a SC appointment hopefully they fix without charging me.

Well they gave me a date of 12/18 so i have been driving like that and of course it ripped further due to wind, then it started scraping on the road while flapping. Sounded like a knocking 40 year old car.. it was quite funny.
Then it ripped off on the highway, now I'm driving naked! At least the noise is gone.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Add another to the list. Mine started sagging on one side and I must of not noticed until the dragging noise like many others. Just cut the sagging part off for now. Not sure what to do about it.

You should get it replaced because of the aero drag, these are efficient vehicles due to complete air coverage. Else you will probably drop 3-5% range on a total trip. Also not sure of the under elements how they hold up under water/salt splashing.

You should get it replaced because of the aero drag, these are efficient vehicles due to complete air coverage. Else you will probably drop 3-5% range on a total trip. Also not sure of the under elements how they hold up under water/salt splashing.

I agree! Just would want to make sure it is the a new hard body design. If they decide to just put the felt back on it is like putting a band aid on a bleeding wound lol

Stories like this makes me think twice about taking delivery of what could potentially be a $60K mistake

Please realize you are in an enthusiast forum where we will all come out of the woodwork and discuss and bicker about the smallest issue. You will find the same with any other car brand forums. I'm sure most will agree these are by far the best cars we have ever purchased. I have not spent a cent on maintenance in 25,000 miles and some ripped fabric might be my biggest complaint? Over $150? Most other car owners would dream of such a minuscule issue :)
Dive in, you won't regret it!

The issue is why did they make that part out of cardboard in the first place?

OK, maybe it’s not cardboard but some other flimsy composite fibreboard type material that appears to lose structure and strength especially when wet or just rips and breaks apart when it scrapes against other objects?

If it was made from panels of high impact plastic/composite material most of these issues would not be occurring. Why not make it from the same material as the rest of the underbody?

Maybe there’s a good reason? To help with heat dissipation/ventilation? Would be good to know if there is some genuine design reason why they went for a different material at the front of the underbody.

Reactions: beachmiles