Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risk of buying lightly used from dealership out of state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I really want a Tesla model S soon, my reservation is in September! I am seeing some slightly used Model S's for sale at a good price out of state at a Chevy dealership. Since Tesla's warranty is so extensive, is there any real risk here in buying this way and having it shipped without inspecting the car etc?

I bought my 2020 LR+ at a Porsche dealership in New Jersey three weeks ago. At 40k miles I wouldn't call it 'lightly used' but the condition was as expected. Three weeks later and I still don't have my tags, though, which is a PITA.

No way would I buy a used Tesla from a dealership sight unseen. No way. Years ago when I started seeking used Model S's I was using all sources. I quickly learned that, of those, 3rd party dealerships were easily the worst of the options. Many cars I saw or had checked out for me were a mess. Clearly damaged extensively even though their vehicle history had no reports. These cars are all quite similar so the condition can mean $10k price difference between the same car. In that is a tremendous potential for getting hosed if you buy a car sight unseen and regardless of what their reviews say, all 3rd party car dealerships will operate in this gray area. Some just try a little more to hide it.

It appears there was good fortunes but I personally would be hard pressed to buy from a dealer. My first model S in 2017 was going to be the dream P85+ from a dealer in another state. Loved the idea so much until I went to Tesla to see what a new car would cost. With the help of some people, quickly learned that the used car in question was an auction sale from Tesla. Yes, there was structural damage but not noted anywhere. I'm not saying this to be the gospel but most sellers will be honest and maybe not speak the full truth however, most dealership just tell you what you want to hear.
I would recommend waiting. Your rewards will be so great. Life is full of compromises. Don't compromise on a dream.

Reactions: Ostrichsak