Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risk of reservation transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I'm looking at a potential Model X reservation transfer at the pre-hike price. The car is ready to be picked up and the seller delayed it (VIN assigned and all) until end of January. Once he taps on "I'm Ready" in the app, then an appointment will be scheduled. However, the seller has another Tesla on the same account, so he can't just give me his login. He mentioned that his Tesla SA can change the registration into my info, so I can pay for the car and take delivery. Afterwards, the SA can change the car's ownership from his Tesla account to mine. The seller is a stranger and feels a bit sketched out. Is this a bad move?

I completed a reservation transfer today. The first party has to give you their Tesla account (email and password . If they have other cars associated with the account, I think the deal is dead). Then you update all the contact information you can associated with that account. A SA has to change the registration information and the delivery location. If you don’t have a friendly SA who’s willing to do that, they could cancel the order, refuse to do it, lock you out, etc.
I lucked out and had a good reservation seller and a friendly SA. But it sure gave me butterflies going through the process. The “order details” will still show the first party’s info, but that shouldn’t matter.

Last edited:
I completed a reservation transfer today. The first party has to give you their Tesla account (email and password . If they have other cars associated with the account, I think the deal is dead). Then you update all the contact information you can associated with that account. A SA has to change the registration information and the delivery location. If you don’t have a friendly SA who’s willing to do that, they could cancel the order, refuse to do it, lock you out, etc.
I lucked out and had a good reservation seller and a friendly SA. But it sure gave me butterflies going through the process. The “order details” will still show the first party’s info, but that shouldn’t matter.
They have another Tesla associated with that account, but I'm not going to pay for the car or the seller until I login into his account and verify the location and registration has been changed by the SA to mine. If the registration changes to me, then they could lock me out and then walk away with a paid car?

They have another Tesla associated with that account, but I'm not going to pay for the car or the seller until I login into his account and verify the location and registration has been changed by the SA to mine. If the registration changes to me, then they could lock me out and then walk away with a paid car?
No doubt there’s a lot of risk associated with a reservation transfer deal. Best to know your seller and a good SA.

I'm on my second. Paid both the reservation transfer fee with PayPal so it's refundable if worst comes to worst.

Reservation was moved to my acct. I uploaded my docs to Tesla, scheduled pick up and handed the check to the Tesla rep at time of pick up.

I'm on my second. Paid both the reservation transfer fee with PayPal so it's refundable if worst comes to worst.

Reservation was moved to my acct. I uploaded my docs to Tesla, scheduled pick up and handed the check to the Tesla rep at time of pick up.
can you elaborate on this reservation transfer fee? Is this something through tesla? I keep reading that transferring the actual reservation from one tesla account to another is not possible (at least until after delivery of the car). The only way to do it before delivery is if the seller gives up the tesla account the order was placed under and the buyer takes over and changes all the info into the buyer’s name.

It’s technically possible just not encouraged by Tesla. Basically, the seller and buyer of the reservation need to trust each other during the transfer process. It’s well documented but has risks. The best scenario is for the seller to give up their account to the buyer but sometimes this doesn’t work because the seller has other Tesla products.

can you elaborate on this reservation transfer fee? Is this something through tesla? I keep reading that transferring the actual reservation from one tesla account to another is not possible (at least until after delivery of the car). The only way to do it before delivery is if the seller gives up the tesla account the order was placed under and the buyer takes over and changes all the info into the buyer’s name.
Transfer fee would be what you and seller agree on to purchase the reservation.

It’s technically possible just not encouraged by Tesla. Basically, the seller and buyer of the reservation need to trust each other during the transfer process. It’s well documented but has risks. The best scenario is for the seller to give up their account to the buyer but sometimes this doesn’t work because the seller has other Tesla products.
If they already have a Tesla on that account, couldn't they just transfer their Tesla to a new account and then sell the old account that has the reservation?