TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Risks of auto lock....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by russman, Jan 3, 2016.

1. russman

russman Member

As I watched numerous drivers leave their car at superchargers, I noticed everyone relies on the autolock when they walk away. The problem is, I see that it would be very easy for someone to just walk up and open the door in the window you walk away at. The two people who just walked away didn't even look at the car and I could have easily just opened the door and it would have never locked. I also noticed that one car didn't autolock but the people walked away. It turned out the door was closed but not shut all the way. It was at the first notch. So they walked away and their car remained unlocked.

I'm making it a habit to lock and using autolock as a backup. Do you manually lock? Autolock and check? Just walk away?

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I just walk away, there's nothing of value in my car... well except the 3 fully stamped Dutch bros coffee cards

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

v7.0 seems to have reduced the time between getting out and auto lock activating. Seems to be roughly 1/2 delay time, noticeably quicker. Never worried about it, even when it took longer.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I manually lock because I'm OCD.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

I like the auto-lock, but I do wish it was a bit sooner.

I find it odd, when I approach the car it doesn't unlock and extend the handles until I'm about a foot away from the door, but when I walk away it doesn't lock until I'm so far away I can barely tell by looking if the handles and mirrors have retracted. I want both locking and unlocking to happen earlier than they do now.

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I do this. But the car is set to auto lock. However, I rarely give it time to do its thing.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I checked the first few times when I got the car, but don't bother anymore. Nothing of value in the car, and they wouldn't be able to drive it as I'm too far away. I consider this a non-issue.

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

I agree, you should be able to pick timing. 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec etc.....

9. Caligula

Caligula Member

I believe this is because there's a timer after you reach a set distance from the car. You'd probably have the same results walking 15 feet (or whatever it is) away and standing there to wait out the remaining time.

10. ottopilot

ottopilot Member

I lol'ed at this. those things are gold man, cash them in.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

I suspect you are correct, however it doesn't change the mechanics of it, the fact that it's still unlocked when I'm a long way away and can't even see the car any more.

12. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Kindred spirit. :)

13. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

I wish they would program an audible beep everytime the car auto-locks (or manual locks for that matter) like they have on some car alarm systems. it's more reassuring than the car lights flashing which you wouldn't see if you were walking away from the car.

I do both, depending on my mood or paranoia, since I'm new to the car...

14. ottopilot

ottopilot Member

I second this. I've had the car less than a week and I find myself opening the app to confirm its locked after I walk away. A beep would be nice.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Auto lock is highly reliable, I would say 100% reliable as long as you fully shut the door, which is something that I think everyone can learn to do.
    And if someone gets inside the car, they can't drive it anyway. I don't worry about it.

16. fancycar

fancycar Member

I thought this was going to be another thread about the car auto locking with the key inside. It's unfortunate when this happens.

17. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

Here is my autolock experience:
    I was aware of the feature before I took possession of my car in late 2013, but it was not enabled by default and I didn't know to enable it. Also, they gave us two keyfobs and my wife at the time just stuck hers in her purse which she left in the car. We then drove to a football game, parking in a downtown parking lot. The car was free to steal for anyone that night and we had no idea. Just didnt have the instincts down yet.

18. luvnMyTS

luvnMyTS Member

I had my phone and laptop stolen shortly after getting my first Tesla. Horrible system the way it is. Hate having to fumble around my pocket to find the key to manually lock the door every time. If not optional settings, there's no reason the auto-lock feature should be set to auto-lock the car as soon as you either reach to the headlight of the car or a foot or two back of the trunk area. I walk into stores and see that the doors handles are still out when I'm over 20 feet away. Absolutely makes no sense. Great feature, horribly executed.

19. Caligula

Caligula Member

The good news is that Tesla could fix this and push it OTA to our cars, if they so desired. That said, I'm sure there are some unintended consequences that we aren't seeing here that may have come up for Tesla during R&D when trying various ranges/times. That is to say, perhaps this is the lesser of two evils.

20. f-stop

f-stop Member

during the first couple weeks of owning the car, my passenger didn't close their door hard enough and I didn't notice it was slightly ajar, when I parked on a busy downtown street. I relied on auto-lock, but was surprised when we returned to the car to see that it appeared already unlocked before I approached (mirrors were not folded in, and I have auto-fold enabled).

After that I'm more paranoid about either manually locking it with the fob or watching it as I walk away. Or I will check the app to see if it shows locked status.