Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Risky mods that void warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post: took delivery 2 weeks and have been binge shopping on accessories and mods. I want to further mod my MYP but want to stay away from risky mods. From forums and YouTube videos I gathered the following 3 to be risky/void warranty
1. Puddle lights faulting and breaking windows
2. Screen tilt causing lose slip ring and display issues
3. Frunk hooks bending hood

Are there any other know risky mods to stay away from for voided warranty..
Noob here! Pardon a lame post!

Reactions: Pianewman
Depending on the repair, any modification to the suspension will also void warranty. i.e. lowering springs, coilovers, camber arms, upper arm controllers, etc. However, the burden of proof is on Tesla to demonstrate the aftermarket components caused the failure. Also there are some dashboard/HUD upgrades that claim to run seamlessly but is not the case. Personally, I would stay away from anything non-mechanical as to not damage the electronics in the vehicle.

Depending on the repair, any modification to the suspension will also void warranty. i.e. lowering springs, coilovers, camber arms, upper arm controllers, etc. However, the burden of proof is on Tesla to demonstrate the aftermarket components caused the failure. Also there are some dashboard/HUD upgrades that claim to run seamlessly but is not the case. Personally, I would stay away from anything non-mechanical as to not damage the electronics in the vehicle.
Legally the burden to prove the modification caused a warrantied failure is on the manufacturer. But, manufacturers also know it will cost the consumer more in legal fees to prove it then it would cost to fix it. So typically a manufacturer will just deny a warranty based on a mod and unless it's blatantly obvious or a very expensive fix, the owner will just accept the denial. You can fight it, but if it's a part that costs $200 to fix, why pay $2,000 in legal fees to fight it?

Reactions: laservet
First post: took delivery 2 weeks and have been binge shopping on accessories and mods. I want to further mod my MYP but want to stay away from risky mods. From forums and YouTube videos I gathered the following 3 to be risky/void warranty

Only tint the side windows. Front and rear window tinting messes with the camera and causes some "electric" issues. There has also been reports of cracked tinted roofs.

Wow..makes sens.. that was super useful.. I was contemplating on getting my front windshield tinted
Well I'm not sure it makes sense. If the windshield is tinted, it will be applied to the inside of the window and cut around the camera housing, not tinted inside the housing where the cameras are. The rear window has no cameras, at least in model Y the rear camera is just above the license plate next to the tailgate handle. So I'm not following at all how it would affect any of the cameras.

"Electric" issues are mostly due to the effect of metalized films which is a product of older and/or cheaper tint products. Easily avoided today unless you're cutting corners, in which case you probably won't be looking for windshield tint anyway.

Regarding the roof concern, I looked into this also after reading some discussion about cracking roofs, and I came to the conclusion that those reports were probably due to something else rather than the heat-expansion theory on a normal undamaged roof (and the anecdotal examples weren't necessarily all Teslas in any case). It seems that tinting the roof is fairly common here in Arizona and I haven't found a shop or an owner who experienced the cracking. So I did go for a fairly strong tint on the roof, moderate on the rear window. I would of course be very unhappy if I were to get a cracked roof, and if so I'll report that here. But hopefully not, knock wood (not glass🙂)!

To date I have not tinted the windshield because I'm very sensitive about any loss of nighttime visibility; however I am considering it and there are some 80% VLT films that do a good job of cutting down on heat. I thought about the 3M crystalline 90% but there are reports of problems with that specific product, for example banding with polarized sunglasses. The 3M crystalline 70% film doesn't seem to have the same issue, but I still would like the lightest possible film if doing the front windshield. Someone I know got Llumar 80% and that seems to be working well for them, so I'm going to take a good look through that at night compared to my untinted windshield. Then I'll decide. But I can say that the untinted windshield clearly feels hotter in the daytime sun here, compared to any of the tinted windows.

Now going back to your OP,

Puddle lights: I haven't heard of them breaking windows in any permanent way. I have heard of the syndrome in which the Tesla computer doesn't like it when it senses no current draw when the light is disconnected and then the windows eefuse to function until the LED is connected up. It's also true that if the windows are all the way up and refusing to come down at all, then you can mess up the window seal by opening the door in that state. This is similar to the old problem of using the manual emergency release to open the door (a very easy thing to have happen) instead of the electronic button release. However, these light modifications are very popular and I don't think you'd have any problem as long as you buy a quality set, preferably with the short connectir extensions already included, and follow the instructions including rolling down the windows before doing the swap and then testing properly.

Tilting screen: I love my tilt/swivel screen. I bought the USA made, high quality Atlas unit from Tech Forum. His mounts have the best design for display cable strain relief and are very unlikely to cause a problem. Ironically and sadly, there was a temporary kerfuffel on YouTube where the Frugal Tesla Guy reported exactly such a problem as being due to the Tech Forum mount. However, this was subsequently and pretty clearly proven to be not the case, and there is a follow-up videos to correct the wrong impression. Frugal Tesla Guy has apologized and actually feels pretty bad about this, but obviously incorrect negative news persists - as is often the case after a bad report. I would say that this display failure problem is indeed possible but not very likely, even with the various Chinese-built swivel mounts as they don't have explicit strain relief for the cable. And it's extremely unlikely with the Tech Forum swivel or tilt/swivel mounts, as the design includes a strain relief and doesn't flex the cable with respect to its PC board connector.

Frunk hooks: I'm not sure about that issue at all, I know of some simple hooks that go onto the plastic frame at the rear edge of the frunk "tub". I don't see how these would have anything to do with the metal frunk lid which is indeed very flimsy. I actually had a problem with the front lid on my recent new model Y - it had a shallow dent deformation around the latch area which was there even before I opened the frunk at all. I reported it and was all set to have it fixed, but before my appointment schedule I decided to have the car PPF wrapped. So I simply paid a little extra for their paintless dent-repair guy to handle this problem (because I didn't want to wait a few weeks for the Tesla appointment and/or argue with them about whether it was In Spec etc). The dent guy determined that Tesla had adjusted the frunk latch too deep at the factory, causing the original problem. He fixed the adjustment and straightened the minor residual deformation, it wasn't too expensive and I was glad to have it fixed quickly and prior to the PPF. So I guess you could say this repair permanently altered the original Tesla mis-assembly, gee I hope it doesn't void my warranty on their pre-dented frunk lid!

I have done and will be doing other modifications that go substantially deeper than the above, but none of which should legally affect the warranty (due to the aftermarket accessory laws in the USA). And I'm not the kind of person that would mess up the car and then go expect Tesla to fix my mess-up (I mean I'm certainly capable of messing it up, but I believe in personal responsibility). OTOH I would push back if an unrelated problem were blamed on said modifications without a credible explanation of problem linkage. However I do understand the concern.

Just wondering, if one tints the windshield and is in an accident at night, would the reduction of nighttime visibility open one up for liability suits? Sort of like disabling the pedestrian warning speaker?
If you hit something because you didn’t see it, I think you’re usually liable anyway.

In removing the warning speaker, you’re reducing someone else’s ability to notice you, so I think that would go against you easily.

I’d be really concerned with getting rear ended having tinted tail lamps, a situation where you are usually not liable.

Last edited:
I've got tint all around (minus the roof) on both of my MYLRs with zero issues.

We used Rayno S7 35% on the front doors, and Rayno Platinum Air 70/90 on all the rear windows and the windshield.

The 70/90 made a huge difference on the amount of heat coming through the windshield and rear windows. And, unless I point it out, no one thinks that the windshield has any film applied.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Well I'm not sure it makes sense. If the windshield is tinted, it will be applied to the inside of the window and cut around the camera housing, not tinted inside the housing where the cameras are. The rear window has no cameras, at least in model Y the rear camera is just above the license plate next to the tailgate handle. So I'm not following at all how it would affect any of the cameras.

"Electric" issues are mostly due to the effect of metalized films which is a product of older and/or cheaper tint products. Easily avoided today unless you're cutting corners, in which case you probably won't be looking for windshield tint anyway.

Regarding the roof concern, I looked into this also after reading some discussion about cracking roofs, and I came to the conclusion that those reports were probably due to something else rather than the heat-expansion theory on a normal undamaged roof (and the anecdotal examples weren't necessarily all Teslas in any case). It seems that tinting the roof is fairly common here in Arizona and I haven't found a shop or an owner who experienced the cracking. So I did go for a fairly strong tint on the roof, moderate on the rear window. I would of course be very unhappy if I were to get a cracked roof, and if so I'll report that here. But hopefully not, knock wood (not glass🙂)!

To date I have not tinted the windshield because I'm very sensitive about any loss of nighttime visibility; however I am considering it and there are some 80% VLT films that do a good job of cutting down on heat. I thought about the 3M crystalline 90% but there are reports of problems with that specific product, for example banding with polarized sunglasses. The 3M crystalline 70% film doesn't seem to have the same issue, but I still would like the lightest possible film if doing the front windshield. Someone I know got Llumar 80% and that seems to be working well for them, so I'm going to take a good look through that at night compared to my untinted windshield. Then I'll decide. But I can say that the untinted windshield clearly feels hotter in the daytime sun here, compared to any of the tinted windows.
Had Crystalline 90 on my prius prime, and have Xpel 70 on my Y, No issues with Polarized glasses on either, or at night. side windows you can get a small rainbow at some angles, but thats how polarized glasses are.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Xpel XR. 5% all around, 25% windshield. No tint on roof and zero issues.
058CBFF5-2DF2-4C1C-8D66-D98930F6C970.jpeg

Just wondering, if one tints the windshield and is in an accident at night, would the reduction of nighttime visibility open one up for liability suits? Sort of like disabling the pedestrian warning speaker?
Correct, but in Southern states the sun is fierce. Another big issue with driver side window tinting is making the police believe you are trying to deter identification (something to hide or hide from), so more risk you will be pulled over for a variety of real or perceived traffic violations.

Do you guys know if

1. Changing out taillights to aftermarket
2. Adding a diffuser

Would that void warranty? it's more so only plug and play. Would I have to switch it back to OEM if i need it to get serviced so they don't pin the blame on those parts?

Will body and cosmetic modifications void the warranty? For example, a non-drill spoiler and an external camera protector both using adhesives?

In terms of electrical how about USB LED lights, as well as floor well lights?

I'm assuming teslogic voids the model 3 warranty but they stated otherwise:

Appreciate the insight and yes a list of changes that would void the warranty would be perfect.