Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Announces Exclusive “Adventure Network” of Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rivian, which plans to launch an electric truck and SUV this year, is also building a charging network.

The “Adventure Network” will feature 3,500 individual 200-kW DC fast chargers “connecting cities on popular routes across the U.S. and Canada.” Rivian plans 600 charging sites by the end of 2023.

The chargers will only be available to owners of Rivian vehicles. The company says the chargers will be capable of adding 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. Tesla’s Superchargers deliver about 200 miles in 15 minutes.

Rivian is also planning to install thousands of Waypoint chargers across the U.S. and Canada. The company is installing the first chargers at each of Colorado’s 42 state parks. 

“Found at shopping centers, restaurants, hotels, campsites, parks, and many other locations, these Level 2 AC chargers deliver up to 25 miles of range every hour for the R1T and R1S, letting you grab extra miles while you’re out having fun,” the company says on its website.

Rivian expects to deliver its R1T pickup this year, followed by the R1S SUV. Rivian also has a contract to supply 100,000 delivery vans to Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though to be clear, Rivian is installing two types of chargers, 3,500 DC fast chargers, the "Adventure Network," which is exclusive to Rivian, but is similar to the rollout of the EA and Supercharger networks in regard to how its being planned and located (highway trips, city to city routes, etc). So while its exclusive to Rivian, these same routes will likely already have alternative chargers available anyways. I think the main idea of Rivian doing these is so they can incorporate the route guidance into their vehicles similar to what Tesla does with its supercharging network, as well as replicate the simple plug & charge utility that Tesla's are able to do with their network. The Adventure Network is also planned to be completely powered by renewable energy, which is a neat touch.

The OTHER kind of chargers Rivian is installing are 10,000 "waypoint" chargers, these will be level 2 chargers in state parks and "out there" locations, and these chargers will be open to everyone (but Rivian users will get the same plug and charge convenience with them as the other Rivian chargers, and probably better rates).

• Informative
Reactions: sdoorex
Though to be clear, Rivian is installing two types of chargers, 3,500 DC fast chargers, the "Adventure Network," which is exclusive to Rivian, but is similar to the rollout of the EA and Supercharger networks in regard to how its being planned and located (highway trips, city to city routes, etc). So while its exclusive to Rivian, these same routes will likely already have alternative chargers available anyways. I think the main idea of Rivian doing these is so they can incorporate the route guidance into their vehicles similar to what Tesla does with its supercharging network, as well as replicate the simple plug & charge utility that Tesla's are able to do with their network. The Adventure Network is also planned to be completely powered by renewable energy, which is a neat touch.

The OTHER kind of chargers Rivian is installing are 10,000 "waypoint" chargers, these will be level 2 chargers in state parks and "out there" locations, and these chargers will be open to everyone (but Rivian users will get the same plug and charge convenience with them as the other Rivian chargers, and probably better rates).
the way I see it is that rivian will use the ccs system but will have a "handshake" protocol that will limit the use of the charger to rivian vehicles. this is very different from the tesla network in North America which uses a proprietary connection and a "handshake" to use the supercharging network. so while you are correct that the rivian network is for rivian vehicles it is not a new charging system.

Our family has 2 x’s (mine/wife), a Y and 2 3’s (children) with a Cybrtruck on order but...I just put a reservation deposit for the R1S.

Rivian’s Network plan would fit our needs and with Tesla’s X shudder a non solve after 5 years plus the uncomfortable pushed forward/non-adjustable new head rests its time to change.

I lived through a very low X vin and a paucity of super chargers early on so we figure we could handle Rivian’s growth issues too.