Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian apparently building their own charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
It looks like Rivian is going to also be building a charging network.

Rivian is building its own EV charging network, but with an adventurous twist – TechCrunch

The part that excites me, and I wish more charging networks took into consideration, is the 'off-highway' locations.

"Rivian is adding a second layer to its electric vehicle charging game plan that’s atypical of the industry. The company will set up dozens of EV chargers designed to power up its electric vehicles while parked at adventurous destinations, from mountain bike and hiking trails to kayaking spots and maybe even near popular climbing crags."

Being able to charge the car while I'm on a 3+ hour hike could be really helpful. The hard part is those places rarely have power run to them (maybe for a street light or something in the parking lot) and almost certainly don't have more than the bare minimum.

Good luck getting electrical service to these locations... Lots of trailheads don't have electrical service. And those that do, it's barely enough to light up the outhouse.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for there to be more L2 chargers within state/national parks. But the cost of running new electrical service dozens of miles is probably prohibitive. Plus, lots of these places don't have cell service, so yet another wire needed to support billing.

Good luck getting electrical service to these locations... Lots of trailheads don't have electrical service. And those that do, it's barely enough to light up the outhouse.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for there to be more L2 chargers within state/national parks. But the cost of running new electrical service dozens of miles is probably prohibitive. Plus, lots of these places don't have cell service, so yet another wire needed to support billing.

That's what I originally thought, too, but the few I've been to in the past few months in my Tesla there have been power lines nearby. One trail parking lot even had a pole right next to it with utility box and an electrical run out to a another pole in a private field where a guy had parked his RV on a 50A circuit. Granted this isn't an exceptionally remote location, but it's evidence that some can be done without a lot of effort.

More the better! Even if we don't get a more usable CCS converter than the odd thing that's kinda available right now. It's not likely that once a Tesla owner always a Tesla owner. Sure you get the "I'm a Chevy guy" or Ford whatever but most people have no issues switching brands so having lots of charging options is a good thing. We'll get there and this is an awesome goal for Rivian to start with.

Also, the more companies requesting permits to get the work going the better. It's "possible" that some cities could streamline the process eventually... I mean, a guy can hope right?

Search your city permit site and then let the forum know so they can add it, along with www.supercharge.info website

More the better! Even if we don't get a more usable CCS converter than the odd thing that's kinda available right now. It's not likely that once a Tesla owner always a Tesla owner. Sure you get the "I'm a Chevy guy" or Ford whatever but most people have no issues switching brands so having lots of charging options is a good thing. We'll get there and this is an awesome goal for Rivian to start with.

Also, the more companies requesting permits to get the work going the better. It's "possible" that some cities could streamline the process eventually... I mean, a guy can hope right?

Search your city permit site and then let the forum know so they can add it, along with www.supercharge.info website

Definitely. More CCS is a good thing. But as a current Tesla owner and occasional outdoors person I am pretty excited about more L2 charging in underserved locations. We've had a couple inquiries in the Arkansas Tesla Owner group on Facebook and I always say "more charging at state parks!". Hoping they're paying attention.

Reactions: Matsayz
Yes, more charging at National and state parks is a good idea.
I just question the business model a bit.
Are the young people who do these activities more than any one else really those who can afford these cars/trucks?
And would they park such a car in places like these.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes, more charging at National and state parks is a good idea.
I just question the business model a bit.
Are the young people who do these activities more than any one else really those who can afford these cars/trucks?
And would they park such a car in places like these.

I still think their charging network is going to be open to all EVs, with some "easy payment function" for their own vehicles. It would be ridiculous at this point to not sell service to a larger audience.

When was the last time you were in a state or national park for hiking? A couple weeks ago I was out in a remote part of Arkansas expecting to see no other cars at the trail head and it was actually overflowing, largely with cars that sold new in the $50K to $100K range. BMW, Lexus, Chrysler, Mercedes ... all massive SUVs. It's not just young poor people who go hiking. Old retired people with nothing better to do spend a lot of time in the woods. The hippies are bored.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It looks like Rivian is going to also be building a charging network.

Rivian is building its own EV charging network, but with an adventurous twist – TechCrunch

The part that excites me, and I wish more charging networks took into consideration, is the 'off-highway' locations.

"Rivian is adding a second layer to its electric vehicle charging game plan that’s atypical of the industry. The company will set up dozens of EV chargers designed to power up its electric vehicles while parked at adventurous destinations, from mountain bike and hiking trails to kayaking spots and maybe even near popular climbing crags."

Being able to charge the car while I'm on a 3+ hour hike could be really helpful. The hard part is those places rarely have power run to them (maybe for a street light or something in the parking lot) and almost certainly don't have more than the bare minimum.

Then in about 10 years from now we just need some legislation that forces EV chargers to work with all electric vehicles.

Reactions: GreenT

starlink and solar bro.

• Disagree
Reactions: LoudMusic and Janus
starlink and solar bro.
Regarding StarLink or any other satellite based internet, there's a much higher up-front cost, and higher long-term operating cost. Regarding solar, unless it's grid-tied or there's local battery storage, a standalone solar panel can't just feed an EVSE.

When talking about the economic viability of a public EVSE, the margins are tiny. Adding a satellite link, solar panels, and battery storage will very likely push the ROI past anything any business would be interested in.

And then be locked into a proprietary network that is controlled by one of their major competitors, while at the same time locking the buyers of their vehicles out from public charging networks?
If Rivian wants to take a shot at "all the marbles" or at least an outsized share of them (and they're funded well enough at this stage to set up for that), then no way do they lock in w/ a primary competitor. But this is where regulation needs to play a role. There's unnecessary duplication at this still nascent stage and it only impedes "the transition to sustainable energy." When it comes to foundational public infrastructure, government does have a role... and a common charging standard and compatibility would have the effect of "floating all boats." Between this and incentivizing / subsidizing multi-unit high density housing to install charging infrastructure it'd be a huge accelerant.

Well, sorta.

Both CCS and Chademo had DC fast charging as part of their specs/propsals prior to Tesla unveiling their Supercharger network. Their power capability wasn't as great as Tesla's, however... not to mention some other general clunkiness with the designs...

And CCS is now absolutely the standard, so much so that Teslas in EU are all CCS since 2014. But for North America not only do Teslas have a proprietary plug, but the only adapter is made by a 3rd party and not particularly reliable. Tesla could make adapters to go from the Tesla plug to CCS, and from CCS to Tesla. They could also start migrating the cars and Superchargers to be CCS plugs.