Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. All the info out of Rivian so far has been very suspiciously lacking any info about fast charging. Given how stupid the VW Electrify America roll out is happening*, I'm not too sure Rivian wants to completely hop onto the CCS bandwagon.

I have a feeling Rivian is the real deal. I put a deposit down just in case. I'll also trek over to the LA Auto show next week to see it in person.

AND, just in case it turns out to be real, I created a discussion forum called the Rivian Auto Club (Rivian Auto Club). Maybe we can get some high quality true believers in a dedicated forum!

While you've been here since 2013, should we find it peculiar that you would start a web site for discussing them, unless you have some sort of "position" with them beyond having paid a $1000 deposit.
Mind telling us your involvement?

Reactions: roblab
While you've been here since 2013, should we find it peculiar that you would start a web site for discussing them, unless you have some sort of "position" with them beyond having paid a $1000 deposit.
Mind telling us your involvement?

How about none? But you’re right, I’ve gotta add a disclaimer to that site that says it is unofficial, not associated with Rivian, etc.

It shouldn’t been seen as peculiar. I just have a feeling Rivian will succeed, that’s all. The SUV is what the model X should have been, IMHO. While legacy companies like GM shut down their plants, others like Tesla and Rivian will rise.

As per my Sig, my plans are to trade in my X when the Roadster 2 comes out (won’t need an X by then), and the wife hopefully will like the Rivian R1S (she doesn’t like the X).

Reactions: Ocelot
Just saw Electrek’s article on the SUV with photos. Not something I would be interested in at all and if I needed the room much prefer the look of the MX over the Rivian. But then I prefer a more upscale look than a camping vehicle. Actually my first thought was it looked very much like a Jeep Cherokee or Wagoneer from maybe the 70s.

The dash shown in the Electrek article harkened to Model S with the display behind the steering wheel; and the center screen they just rotated horizontally. Personally I think the Model S’s vertical screen looks better and gives the dash a more open look. Sure they wanted to give a somewhat similar subtle minimal look as Teslas without appearing to copy directly. Skateboard design like Tesla’s cars.

Apart from having a better battery range if you need to go to out of the way places like for camping or backroads which is clearly who their customer base is, I can’t say I’m impressed by the vehicle. I did think the silver pick up version in the video looked nice though. The signature front of both vehicles however, definitely not a fan of and more to the point strongly dislike. With boxy styling and flat front have to wonder how much of that battery range will get eaten by poor aerodynamics.

Couldn’t place it initially but realized that looking again at the Electrek article I find the side view image of the rear of the vehicle reminescent of a funeral hearse. Very square and boxy as well. While I think it’sgood that more EV choices are coming out and that not everyone will like or admire each design, it does make me wonder what Tesla’s Y and pickup will look like. I do think they were smart to start from the ground up like Tesla did and infact thought their intro could have been from Tesla. It is exciting to see totally new designs for EVs.

Rivian launches all-electric 7-seat SUV with over 410 miles of range

Just read Teslarati's article this morning about Franz stopping by to check out the Rivian models at the LA show. While reading it I discovered that Rivian's designer, Jeff Hammound, spent 13 years at Fiat Chrysler as Chief of Design for the Jeep division, and on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Guess that explains why I thought the SUV version looked like a vintage Cherokee or Wagoneer! Kind of feel like he was still designing for Jeep/Fiat Chrysler.

Rivian gets a surprise visit from Tesla Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen

Despite not being a fan of the R1S (SUV) but very much liking the R1T (pickup), I think it must have been an exciting show for the company after all their years in stealth mode. My husband worked for a startup for a number of years and I know it's great to finally see all your hard work and numerous hours into a project come to light finally.

How about none? But you’re right, I’ve gotta add a disclaimer to that site that says it is unofficial, not associated with Rivian, etc.

It shouldn’t been seen as peculiar. I just have a feeling Rivian will succeed, that’s all. The SUV is what the model X should have been, IMHO. While legacy companies like GM shut down their plants, others like Tesla and Rivian will rise.

As per my Sig, my plans are to trade in my X when the Roadster 2 comes out (won’t need an X by then), and the wife hopefully will like the Rivian R1S (she doesn’t like the X).

"The SUV is what the model X should have been..." Don't really know what you meant by that as you didn't elaborate on the point...Jeep like? I had an interesting conversation with the Starbucks drive thru barrista today who noticed my Model 3 so we got on the subject of Teslas. Mentioned my husband had a Model S and she asked if that was the one...and she used her arms to unfold in the air...that opened like that. I said no that was the Model X. She said every mother she knows that drops their kids off at her kid's school drives one of those. Said that was the most popular car there. And I said yes, definitely a mom's car for the kids. So I really do feel the Model X hit its sweet spot or intended market of moms and families with its design.

While a lot can still not unfold for Rivian, I do think they will be successful. Hard to say to what degree. I think the R1T will be a big hit and see a lot of interest for it, and then soon after will have to compete with other pickup truck offerings out there including Teslas. So hard for me not liking the design of the R1S to get excited about it. Sort of like an EV friendly Hummer design in my mind. Just not what I see the majority of drivers out there wanting to buy. Anyway by next year I suspect we'll get a better idea of what competition will at least look like for that vehicle.

She said every mother she knows that drops their kids off at her kid's school drives one of those. Said that was the most popular car there. And I said yes, definitely a mom's car for the kids. So I really do feel the Model X hit its sweet spot or intended market of moms and families with its design.

The Model X is a crossover (a coupe one at that), it's not an SUV by the conventional definition. The fact that it is popular with "moms and families" is irrelevant to me. I'm glad it's found a niche, but that niche is at one end of the crossover/SUV spectrum. All I care about is whether I can get through 2 feet of snow with it and whether I can I fill it with bikes, and the Model X doesn't even come close.

Reactions: jas and Eclectic
I stumbled over their august promotional video. They showed a bit of electrical part. The narration is of the same quality as in the last clips (i.e. useless), but the video feed was interesting.
They use 18650 cells (pr. 2170 but it is unlikely), cells honeycombed in silicon and two layers sandwiched with cathodes outside forming big bricks structure (bigger than last LG creations), they didn't show cooling but probably cooling is done using roaster plates attaching on outside cathode sides. It is not the most appropriate solution (see Model3 for much better solution) but it is cheap and does most of the job (cathodes take ~75% heat). BMS are home made, judging by some more things I wouldn't be surprised it is based on Tesla 2015 edition.
Testing of the battery modules is done using 120V setups, it translates into 360V battery pack (or 720V which is the same doubled).
It is NOT BAD, actually it is the first "not Tesla" company which actually tries to look for, copy and adapt existing good EV solutions (see Tesla) to make workable EV power-train. Interesting.
I hope they will "suddenly return" to the standard (let say Ford 150) headlights setup. People like it for good practical reasons.

Reactions: Erleichda
The Model X is a crossover (a coupe one at that), it's not an SUV by the conventional definition. The fact that it is popular with "moms and families" is irrelevant to me. I'm glad it's found a niche, but that niche is at one end of the crossover/SUV spectrum. All I care about is whether I can get through 2 feet of snow with it and whether I can I fill it with bikes, and the Model X doesn't even come close.

Neither is most SUV on the market today qualify for that definition if you're strict about it. In the days when I had the Bronco and first gen Explorer anything without a manual transfer case is considered a poser. These are still considered posers by some today even though electronic all wheel drive traction control on the electric car could do even better on snow or ice than those part time 4WD ICE SUV's.

Watch this and see if you want to reconsider your comment that Model X is not even close.

Or in the case of on icy surface which is one of the most challenging situations for any vehicles.
We couldn't believe our eyes

Last edited:
Tell me who lives in that kind of environment does not put winter tires on the car and which car could survive there with summer tires? :rolleyes:
A lot of people. I don't know about Norway, but here on the Canadian prairies there are people who drive on summer tires all year 'round. The thing to remember is: PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS! I see them every winter, fishtailing down the street. I've seen people in trucks, struggling to make it up a hill, wheels spinning like mad, while I in a small car and winter tires go smoothly up the same hill right by them no problems.

"The SUV is what the model X should have been..." Don't really know what you meant by that as you didn't elaborate on the point...Jeep like?

I meant normal. The sloped back roof on the X limits cargo by a lot. While the falcon wing doors are cool, they aren’t practical. Opening and closing them in a crowded school pickup line is an exercise in near misses and quick reactions and bumped heads. The flush door handles cause every new person to feel like an idiot (how do I open the doors?). Frankly I’m tired of having to explain how to close the falcon wing doors, how to open the doors, etc. to every new person I drive.

And then the initial version (which I bought) was crippled. A 90 kWh battery in such a big car was not very useful. Second row seats that didn’t fold flat. And seats seven, but kinda cramped.

Anyways, I’m not trying to rant about Tesla, just point out that the Rivian SUV fixes all of my gripes about the X.

I have a feeling Rivian is the real deal. I put a deposit down just in case. I'll also trek over to the LA Auto show next week to see it in person.

AND, just in case it turns out to be real, I created a discussion forum called the Rivian Auto Club (Rivian Auto Club). Maybe we can get some high quality true believers in a dedicated forum!
Great idea with the forum! I will check it out.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
...the wife hopefully will like the Rivian R1S (she doesn’t like the X).

Wait 'til she sees the Y. Ought to be out about the same time as the Rivian. At least Tesla has three vehicles out, with the 3 selling some 34,000 cars in October, on which the Y will be based. Don't know what the Rivian will be based on. But I do know that one car doth not a company make.

Reactions: gene
Wait 'til she sees the Y. Ought to be out about the same time as the Rivian. At least Tesla has three vehicles out, with the 3 selling some 34,000 cars in October, on which the Y will be based. Don't know what the Rivian will be based on. But I do know that one car doth not a company make.

The Y will be too small for her. The Rivian SUV should be a good size.

Frankly I'm ready to as well even I though I just bought my 3.

If it would have been available right now I would have thought very hard about getting one even though that's being a very early adopter and in many ways beta tester. It's possible they did robust, heavy duty testing but it's still first model year for brand new, first year EV car company. A rugged, fast EV SUV or Adventure truck would fit my use cases so much better. I'm making due with the 3 by getting a tow hitch to carry bikes with and then snow tires. I look at it as durability testing for Tesla. With two kids though and outdoor sport lifestyle a SUV or a truck works so much better than small sedan. Wife has a ICE SUV so that suffices for now but a Rivian could be for her. I won't purchase for her though before I know reliability.

Rivian says they will stamp out their first bodies end of next year, giving them almost a year to work out issues. That's longer than Tesla gives itself. But who knows what troubles they will run into. Planning is great, but somehow things never work out according to plan!

Not directly Rivian related, but I got an e-mail from my local Dodge dealer asking about trading in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 on a new pickup. My reply was:

Do you have an all-electric pickup?

I purchased a Tesla Model 3 earlier this year. I’ll replace that and my 2003 Ram pickup with an all-electric pickup when one is released.

I have absolutely no interest in purchasing another gas powered vehicle.

The reply was something like, “Sorry, none are available, but you’d think we’d have one by now, right?” I knew they didn’t, but it doesn’t hurt to let them know, a long-range EV is a hard requirement for this consumer.

Waiting to put the deposit down on the R1T to see how their development and production plans proceed. I think I’d prefer a Tesla just for the Supercharger network, but I have no interest in the Mad Max design that was floated. It’ll be a couple years before I need to make a decision and in the mean time, i’m saving up my pennies. I should wait until 2023 to replace the Model 3, just to avoid another massive depreciation hit right away on another new vehicle purchase.

Yes the Tesla Supercharger network is a huge pro to Tesla when comparing different EVs. Really reduces any headaches with route planning for any kind of trips. Model 3 type car I can see getting by with just home charging for many people as it fits the role of commuting or urban vehicle. However a truck or SUV, especially the adventure variant like Rivian is presenting would definitely be a trip car.