Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It amazes me to see other manufacturers dumping money into this dumpster fire. I really hope the truck is produced but they got their work cut out for them. Not too mention no charging infrastructure. Maybe Ford hopes they will receive some Green carbon credits in the EU and will offset the money. Because didn't fiat just send 500 million to Tesla. Makes more sense to try and pretend you really care.

upload_2019-4-25_6-23-26.png

Current CCS Network. Will be much better by Q4 2020 when Rivian expects Job 1.

Amazon,Ford, Sumitomo et al that have invested over $2B into Rivian are idiots.

But we have a couple of geniuses on this thread that know better.

I put a deposit down on the RT1 back in Dec. I'm only lightly following Rivian though because it seems a bit too good to be true. I don't want to get my hopes up for something so far away from production. In the meantime, I'm looking to pick up a used Model X. Figure that is something I can enjoy for the next two years until when (and if) Rivian actually produces the truck.

It amazes me to see other manufacturers dumping money into this dumpster fire. I really hope the truck is produced but they got their work cut out for them. Not too mention no charging infrastructure. Maybe Ford hopes they will receive some Green carbon credits in the EU and will offset the money. Because didn't fiat just send 500 million to Tesla. Makes more sense to try and pretend you really care.

Dumpster fire? Really? You can't just hope another EV manufacturer can hack in in a forum dedicated to people who love EV cars?

The former CEO of Mclaren is on the board of Rivian. He knows a thing or two about starting from essentially scratch. All the other startups (outside Lucid) have minimal experience manufacturing a vehicle from scratch.

Dumpster fire? Really? You can't just hope another EV manufacturer can hack in in a forum dedicated to people who love EV cars?

Not too sure what this post has to do with people being dedicated to EVs. LOL

No loyalty here to EVs.... 95% of them are the ugliest vehicles on the planet. I am however suprised at the amount of KoolAid that's being drank.

Let's step back from this post and come back to it in a year from now when everyone is driving their Rivian. That be great....

Let's look at some of the companies that have tried and failed. Tesla hasn't exactly succeeded but has done dam well comparably. I say they haven't succeeded because they are still not profitable.

6 Electric Car Companies That Have Tried and Failed

Let's not forget that some of these startup companies had billionaire investors and still failed.....

That is a mockery of an article. There are thousands of companies that have failed, it has nothing to do with EVs or not. I can list many more ICE companies that have failed or are no longer in existence. Also, Fisker still exists in a new iteration and the Karma is still being sold under new ownership.

Reactions: KJD
One thing Rivian is doing right, that Tesla completely failed to do with the X, is use an electrochromatic window for the roof window: Electrochromatic roof

Did Tesla fail to use electrochromatic glass on a car that was released over three years ago? Or did Toyota, Chevy, Ford, Nissan, etc. fail to use electrochromatic glass on any of the cars they released over three years ago? AFAIK, they still don't have electrochromatic glass.

Heck, Rivian completely failed to release a car that had any glass windows over three years ago. I think your criticism of Tesla is odd considering Rivian has never sold a single car with or without electrochromatic glass.

Current CCS Network. Will be much better by Q4 2020 when Rivian expects Job 1.

Lets hope so. The VW Dieselgate money that should have been used to expand the supercharging network and wrestle some control over it out of teslas hands was used to build a competing mediocre network instead, denying consumers of say eTron and i-pace the satisfaction of being on boarded to a vast multi-outlet network, i.e. next to our city 20 supercharger ports, kettleman has 40.

Go to plugshare.com and filter for ElectrifyAmerica as a provider. You will find that they actually have a surprisingly high amount of dots across the country, most are in construction, but there are already quite a few that actually are up and running. And then click on a few and look at the checkin notes. Complaints about all four ports being used, or some of them broken, or slow, or billing didnt work etc.

While I hope that this gets better over time, I can tell that cost to coast in an i-pace or even just down to los angeles from san francisco is probably not going to be fun in 2019.

So I am glad that tesla gets an improvised ZEV-style payment from FCA for including them into their pool, instead of it going to EU administrators and them paying it out to mercedes/bmw/whatnot instead.

Is their battery supply/supplier all confirmed and set? Even the best electric devices will not be sellable without a reliable power source (see Audi e-Tron delay/s) and a 400-mile range, especially with four motors to feed, will be thirsty.

Rivian's initial yearly output is targeted for only 20,000 vehicles, so they should be able to find batteries. But yeah, that's a concern.