Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the Tesla Supercharger network is a huge pro to Tesla when comparing different EVs. Really reduces any headaches with route planning for any kind of trips. Model 3 type car I can see getting by with just home charging for many people as it fits the role of commuting or urban vehicle. However a truck or SUV, especially the adventure variant like Rivian is presenting would definitely be a trip car.

I thought the Tesla Supercharger network was an edge too, but the CCS network is growing pretty fast. Here’s a post that shows the CCS network overplayed on top,of the Supercharger network for southern CA. Not much difference.

Is the CCS charging network good enough?

Anyone who is interested in Rivian, check out this foum! https://www.rivianautomotiveclub.com/home/1st-1k-members-free-gift/receive-your-free-rivian-keychain the first 1,000 members get a FREE Rivian Key Chain!

If you're going to advertise your own forum, at least own up to the fact that you are advertising your own forum, rather than appear like some uninvolved bystander. Also, posting messages on other Rivian forums pointing people to your forum is pretty tacky.

If you're going to advertise your own forum, at least own up to the fact that you are advertising your own forum, rather than appear like some uninvolved bystander. Also, posting messages on other Rivian forums pointing people to your forum is pretty tacky.

Seems like there is some competition in the Rivian pixel world, which got me wondering, anybody know how lucrative TMC is? I imagine there were many, many years of nothing, and to be frank, loss considering all the work, but now it seems pretty busy.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
I was able to see the R1T in person last night and was very impressed by the style and attention to detail. The scale felt appropriate for a truck and the light didn't seem as strange as they look in the photos. I have a reservation for the R1S, but could still be swayed to the R1T.

its Really a shame Tesla did not have that come out instead of the model x..,sales would be double what they are. The design elements are just beautiful, albeit things can change between demo and production.

It’s very hard to rewind the clock and know what would have happened, but let’s try.

First, remember that the Model X reveal occurred in Spring 2012, before the Model S even started shipping meaning it was designed in 2010 or 2011. Tesla was on the ropes financially then and at least until mid 2013 when, against even the most optimistic expectations, the Model S took off like a rocket.

Elon being Elon wanted a flashier vehicle to be able to raise money to secure Tesla’s future. NO ONE would have predicated the future of Tesla solely on an expected eventual 20,000 vehicle a year Model S. It is obvious to us now in 2018, or even in 2016 when the Model X started shipping, that a Rivian-like vehicle would have sold well. But in 2011? A year before the Model S started dribbling off the production line? We remember the 400,000 Model 3 pre-orders, but that was for a $35K car. The Model S reservations were just OK and indeed, collapsed in early 2013.

I think Elon was simply hedging his bets. The Model S was very much a normal car. Would an $80k normal EV sell? No one knew. The X was the ace in the hole in case a normal $80k EV wouldn’t sell. It was the wow car with super car wing doors that would entice people to spend $80k on an EV, just in case the Model S didn’t capture people’s imaginations.

The X did have another effect which was raw PR value. I personally kinda knew about Tesla’s roadster but didn’t pay attention to them too much. the X caught my eye, and once I got a test drive in a friend’s Signature S, it sealed the deal for me for an S.

Ironically, the S was the car that made Tesla and the X was the one that almost broke it again (it turned out the wings were hard to make!), but that was hard to predict in 2011.

But yes, in 20/20 hindsight, a normal SUV would have been better.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Tesla is limited to ~100k Gen II vehicles.

If they made a normal CUV instead of the falcon wing doored Model X they would not sell one more Gen II vehicle. At most, they would sell a higher proportion of X to S.

I agree. It all depends on price. Tesla has tapped out the $80k to $120k market with the S and X, and it probably wouldn’t make much of a difference what the X is.

While we all think the Rivian SUV and truck are awesome, they are selling them at essentially the same price point, maybe $70k to $120k. Rivian will likely get more than their predicted 20,000 vehicles/yr combined, but they will likely top out similar to Tesla at something south of 100,000 vehicles a year once they sell worldwide many years from now.

Reactions: KJD
It’s very hard to rewind the clock and know what would have happened, but let’s try.

First, remember that the Model X reveal occurred in Spring 2012, before the Model S even started shipping meaning it was designed in 2010 or 2011. Tesla was on the ropes financially then and at least until mid 2013 when, against even the most optimistic expectations, the Model S took off like a rocket.

Elon being Elon wanted a flashier vehicle to be able to raise money to secure Tesla’s future. NO ONE would have predicated the future of Tesla solely on an expected eventual 20,000 vehicle a year Model S. It is obvious to us now in 2018, or even in 2016 when the Model X started shipping, that a Rivian-like vehicle would have sold well. But in 2011? A year before the Model S started dribbling off the production line? We remember the 400,000 Model 3 pre-orders, but that was for a $35K car. The Model S reservations were just OK and indeed, collapsed in early 2013.

I think Elon was simply hedging his bets. The Model S was very much a normal car. Would an $80k normal EV sell? No one knew. The X was the ace in the hole in case a normal $80k EV wouldn’t sell. It was the wow car with super car wing doors that would entice people to spend $80k on an EV, just in case the Model S didn’t capture people’s imaginations.

The X did have another effect which was raw PR value. I personally kinda knew about Tesla’s roadster but didn’t pay attention to them too much. the X caught my eye, and once I got a test drive in a friend’s Signature S, it sealed the deal for me for an S.

Ironically, the S was the car that made Tesla and the X was the one that almost broke it again (it turned out the wings were hard to make!), but that was hard to predict in 2011.

But yes, in 20/20 hindsight, a normal SUV would have been better.

I recall things a bit differently, so went searching for stuff. As you are aware the master plan from 2006 was roadster>model s> model 3. Or at least moving downstream as you went with respect to price. The model X was delayed years due to changing the platform and tech (was supposed to be a tall S initially). During my review of some things i noted Elon state in 2010 "we could be making 250 000 cars a year in 5 years", and gonna parapharse this one, 'we hope to be releasing a new model every year'. sometimes i forget.