Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the Bezos' are really envious of Elon....hhhhh.

I think Bezos is. He's a smart guy he knows launching rockets, doing the revolutionary new type vehicle and vehicle technology (autonomy) that will change the world will give you a much better place in history than for selling stuff online. We all know who Issac Newton and James Watt were but does anyone know who richest persons were in 17th, 18th or 19th centuries? Wasn't that, money means everything to everyone, the point your post was trying to allude to?

I think Bezos is. He's a smart guy he knows launching rockets, doing the revolutionary new type vehicle and vehicle technology (autonomy) that will change the world will give you a much better place in history than for selling stuff online. We all know who Issac Newton and James Watt were but does anyone know who richest persons were in 17th, 18th or 19th centuries? Wasn't that, money means everything to everyone, the point your post was trying to allude to?
Not really...just thought that heck...they got tons of cash...like the Gates/Buffet, he can invest/philanthropize on whatever he wanted...then I thought...hmmm....wonder if Mackinzie Bezos' give away was as large as Elon's networth...and it was....hhhhh. I also asked Alexa whether Bezos is jelly of Elon...she said "hmmm....nah"....hhhhh.

Anyway..back on topic...looks like the truck will be at some outdoor trade show: Rivian on Twitter

Studio_20190613_074318.jpg

Rivian has been working in stealth mode for almost 10 years. Refining product. Acquiring an impressive list of executives and engineers.

Whoever compares Rivian to FF doesn't know what they are talking about.

Rivian paying Shaq and Rianna is just as likely as Tesla paying The Price is Right or the various TV/Movies Teslas have been in.

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK
Lots of details from the googles:

https://electricrevs.com/2018/11/29/rivian-the-powertrain-details-you-wont-read-about-elsewhere/
"...
Regenerative braking is ineffective at very slow speeds (the last several mph) so car makers that support full-stop one-pedal braking either blend in friction braking (in the 2018 Nissan LEAF) or they use active motor torque using a small amount of power from the battery as the Bolt EV and Rivian do. Similar strategies are used to hold a car on an incline.

Charles Sanderson, Rivian’s VP of Development & Integration, says they can hold the vehicle at up to a steep 20 percent road grade just using active motor torque.

Like almost all other electric and hybrid cars, Rivian also initially uses regenerative braking as the traditional brake pedal is pushed but transition to friction braking as the need for anti-speed increases as the driver pushes down farther on the brake pedal
..."
Rivian CEO talks R1T and R1S battery packs, drivetrains and suspension

Inside Rivian's California battery lab: 180 kWh 'megapacks', carbon fiber, and ballistic shields

Rivian is definitely not Tesla. This early before launch, Tesla was giving us drivetrain details and other technical info. Rivian gives us celebrities. I’m actually a bit disappointed that Rivian hasn’t given us any more info about either the vehicles or their manufacturing plant.
And the latest Rivian "news" is it has a plan to use its "second life" batteries for energy storage purposes. Huh? You have not made a single EV yet and you don't think batteries in ones you're going to make will last for 10 years or more? What is that for?

Elon said producing a car is the hardest part. He made that comment long after Tesla already got all those plants, equipments and infrastructures in place. Talk is cheap. 10 years of talking it's time to get down to the real business imo.

Last edited:
Lots of details from the googles:

https://electricrevs.com/2018/11/29/rivian-the-powertrain-details-you-wont-read-about-elsewhere/
"...
Regenerative braking is ineffective at very slow speeds (the last several mph) so car makers that support full-stop one-pedal braking either blend in friction braking (in the 2018 Nissan LEAF) or they use active motor torque using a small amount of power from the battery as the Bolt EV and Rivian do. Similar strategies are used to hold a car on an incline.

Charles Sanderson, Rivian’s VP of Development & Integration, says they can hold the vehicle at up to a steep 20 percent road grade just using active motor torque.

Like almost all other electric and hybrid cars, Rivian also initially uses regenerative braking as the traditional brake pedal is pushed but transition to friction braking as the need for anti-speed increases as the driver pushes down farther on the brake pedal
..."
Rivian CEO talks R1T and R1S battery packs, drivetrains and suspension

Inside Rivian's California battery lab: 180 kWh 'megapacks', carbon fiber, and ballistic shields

You kinda made my case for me. Two of those articles are from December 2018, and the other, that doesn't have much info, is from February. So, instead of giving us any substantial info (and demoing a prototype camper stove that probably won't be turned into a product doesn't count), they are doing PR events with no new information.

You kinda made my case for me. Two of those articles are from December 2018, and the other, that doesn't have much info, is from February. So, instead of giving us any substantial info (and demoing a prototype camper stove that probably won't be turned into a product doesn't count), they are doing PR events with no new information.
Nah.. Lots of info... But really, only people they need to provide info to is probably their investors. Nothing wrong with keeping product private till its ready to ship... Then they release more info and press demos.

The Rivian truck and SUV will be really neat vehicles... but there are many “neat” non-Tesla EVs. What separates the two (among other things) is scale. Time will tell if Rivian will be a niche brand or scale to widespread adoption. I have my doubts about them scaling.

IMO the best recent news was the release of the color palette of the interior at the NY show. From what I had seen the "Black Mountain " suits my tastes the best. It was also reported that the wood grain interior is an upgrade which is a good thing

but does anyone know who richest persons were in 17th, 18th or 19th centuries? Wasn't that, money means everything to everyone, the point your post was trying to allude to?

The names Carnagie, Vanderbilt, and Rockefeller come to mind. Basically, look at a building or institution named after someone and that was an extremely wealthy person from that time period century. I think you underestimate what role extreme wealth plays in history. It writes it.

The names Carnagie, Vanderbilt, and Rockefeller come to mind. Basically, look at a building or institution named after someone and that was an extremely wealthy person from that time period century. I think you underestimate what role extreme wealth plays in history. It writes it.

Have you heard of Aurangzeb, Stephen Girard, and Rothschild? You're way overestimate what role extreme wealth plays in history.

The Richest People by Century