Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Automotive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Authoritative Trade Journal Automotive News.

Rivian plans to start EV output at ex-Mitsu plant by 2020

"The company aims to produce a fully electric five-passenger pickup and a seven-passenger SUV at the plant, despite having not yet released any designs. The pickup is expected to go 400 miles between charges, offer some self-driving capabilities and cost no less than $50,000, but will not be released before 2020, Crain's Chicago Business reported.

Rivian received the loan($200M) from Standard Chartered Bank, bringing its financing total to $450 million. Investors include the investment arm of Saudi company Abdul Latif Jameel and Sumitomo Corp. of Americas, and there are other investors that are unnamed."

Rivian needs to have a potent strategy to succeed where so many have failed before...

SF Motors and Workhorse have itty bitty factories. SF backed by a small but real Chinese automaker while Workhorse has experience in truck coachbuilding but not manufacturing.

Other than that they are way ahead of the game of every other EV startup because they have a real big boy Auto Manufacturing Plant.

SF Motors and Workhorse have itty bitty factories. SF backed by a small but real Chinese automaker while Workhorse has experience in truck coachbuilding but not manufacturing.

Other than that they are way ahead of the game of every other EV startup because they have a real big boy Auto Manufacturing Plant.

Like when Tesla bought the factory from Toyota. I wouldn't say every other startup.

Launch Of Rivian Electric Truck Draws Near, 3-Row SUV To Follow

The company is developing a single platform for many models and the first two are a five-passenger pickup truck scheduled for 2020, and a 7-seat, three-row SUV that will come afterward.

Both of those cars will be premium products with prices between $50,000 to $100,000, with long-range of up to 450 miles (724 km) and strong performance like 0-60 mph in three seconds. Off-road capabilities are promised to exceed Jeep and Land Rover.

The company hopes to produce 50,000 cars annually at the plant it acquired from Mitsubishi in Normal, IL. Initial venture capital has been provided by way of financing of $500 million.

Rivian unveils all-electric pickup truck with unbelievable specs

Rivian unveils all-electric pickup truck with unbelievable specs
Each motor has a 147 kW power capacity at the wheel and the total power output can be configured to different levels from 300 kW to 562 kW (input to gearbox).

The different power levels match different choices of battery packs, which are another impressive feature since they have the highest capacity of any other passenger electric vehicle out there: 105 kWh, 135 kWh, and 180 kWh.

Rivian says that it will translate to “230+ miles, 300+ miles, and 400+ miles” of range on a full charge.

They are talking about a charge rate of up to 160 kW at fast-charging stations and an 11-kW onboard charger for level 2 charging.

This one just might be the first one to give Tesla a run for their money. The long Tesla goes without a truck of their own, the better chance Rivian will have.

Has Rivian ever said how much the long range version will cost ?

In North America, I would say yes.

Some Chinese startup with Billions of $$$ and Chinese government blessing no.

And, no Tesla is no longer a "startup."

Tesla bought the Toyota/GM factory in 2010, the year Toyota/GM quit using it. At that point, Tesla was still a "startup". No one was talking about Chinese government money or blessing. They did two years of extensive remodeling of the Fremont factory and started building Model S in 2012.

Knowing that you and I are both West Coast Americans, it would be fairly obvious that we were talking about "In North America".

As to Rivian, I agree: It has unbelievable specs. I don't understand your enthusiasm. Tesla is planning to build a pickup starting the end of next year, and based on what they've done so far, it will be interesting to compare it to Rivian. Tesla rumors say that it will have two batteries, though that's just rumor, giving it 200 kWh, but they already have proof of how they work and proof that they know how to build a record breaking 4 door sedan (34,000 Model 3 sold in October) which type GM seems to be unable to design well enough to sell, so they are moving to all pickups and SUVs.

So far, Rivian is 100% vaporware. Are you on their board?

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark
I hope Rivian succeeds, and I hope Tesla is able to provide a worthy (read: superior) competitor to it.

First impressions from looking just at the the specs that Rivian has presented:

1. "Curb Weight" of 2670kg. This has to be misleading, as the company also provided three available battery pack sizes of 105, 130 & 180kWh. Perhaps their spec sheet is showing the 130kWh version - it's not clear - but even so, that leads to the next point, which is -

2. GVWR of 3470kg. This leads to a Carrying Capacity - or Payload - of 800kg. One driver and one passenger - conservatively at 150kg - means a cargo cap of 650kg (1,400 lbs)....that's getting pretty minimal for anything but an UrbanCowboymobile. AND that's before the correction for any increased battery pack size.

Not a killer problem - I realize not every pickup has to be equivalent to an F-350/GMC3500. But there's more:

3. Bed length (Tailgate Up) is 1400mm. Oh. No. If I need a grocery bag hauler, I'll stick with my Model X. I'll second Roblab's assessment: It has unbelievable specs. But I don't think that word means what Roblab thinks it means. (Oops - I think I mean RobStark. "Rob", at any rate....We wuzz Robbed)

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
The Honda Ridgeline has been doing really well in sales. Every time I take the wife’s odessey for maintenance the sales guys say they have a hard time keeping them in the lot.

The specs you pointed out seem in line with the Home Depot runner crowd.

I hope Rivian succeeds, and I hope Tesla is able to provide a worthy (read: superior) competitor to it.

First impressions from looking just at the the specs that Rivian has presented:

1. "Curb Weight" of 2670kg. This has to be misleading, as the company also provided three available battery pack sizes of 105, 130 & 180kWh. Perhaps their spec sheet is showing the 130kWh version - it's not clear - but even so, that leads to the next point, which is -

2. GVWR of 3470kg. This leads to a Carrying Capacity - or Payload - of 800kg. One driver and one passenger - conservatively at 150kg - means a cargo cap of 650kg (1,400 lbs)....that's getting pretty minimal for anything but an UrbanCowboymobile. AND that's before the correction for any increased battery pack size.

Not a killer problem - I realize not every pickup has to be equivalent to an F-350/GMC3500. But there's more:

3. Bed length (Tailgate Up) is 1400mm. Oh. No. If I need a grocery bag hauler, I'll stick with my Model X. I'll second Roblab's assessment: It has unbelievable specs. But I don't think that word means what Roblab thinks it means. (Oops - I think I mean RobStark. "Rob", at any rate....We wuzz Robbed)
Payload sucks but 7' bed (oops 4.7 feet, my bad math, it is like a Honda Ridgeline)is more than a grocery getter, I have an f250 with an 8' bed because i'm a contractor but most trucks I see at Home Depot are short beds
If Tesla had their pick up ready in the next 1 or 2 years I would wait to see whats up with that but I can't wait that long so gonna have to get another ford or chevy diesel

Last edited:
Payload sucks but 7' bed is more than a grocery getter, I have an f250 with an 8' bed because i'm a contractor but most trucks I see at Home Depot are short beds
If Tesla had their pick up ready in the next 1 or 2 years I would wait to see whats up with that but I can't wait that long so gonna have to get another ford or chevy diesel
1400mm is 4.6 feet though. Right?