TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rivian Confirms the Tank Turn

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by TMC Staff, Dec 29, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

Rivian has announced a debatably useful, nonetheless interesting feature for its upcoming electric pickup. The R1T will be capable of a “Tank Turn,” which means the vehicle can hold its position while spinning completely around. Each wheel of the Rivian has its own motor. This enables them to operate independently and in different directions. For example,...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. LJDevonte

LJDevonte Member

neat.

seems like a fun trick. not sure when it would come in handy. gotta be rough on the tread tho?

3. hdolgin

hdolgin Member

I agree, its more fun than functional. I don't think it will hurt the treads if the wheels are all moving in different directions. I could see people going round and round until they get dizzy. LOL

4. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

It's for loose surfaces only.

• Like x 1
  5. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Debateably useful? Seems extremely useful to me. What seems much more debateably useful is bulletproof doors.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  6. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

I’ve heard of people getting car sick in EVs but this takes it to a whole new level.

7. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Given how trucks have gotten to be huge these days yes this tight turn will be more useful to more people even on only loose surfaces.

8. The Duke

The Duke Member

Tesla Model X dances, can a Rivian auto-side-show be far behind?

• Love x 1
  9. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

That's the only useful feature in Chicago.

10. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Or St. Louis, Baltimore you get the idea.

11. Brando

Brando Active Member

Is this the longest running startup ever?
    When will they actually make something?
    Which is first? Van for Amazon? or pickup?

12. Kandiru

Kandiru Active Member

Then you have never driven on mountain roads over riverbeds or storm gulleys in the desert.
    Axle and sway bar differentials in current off-roadable vehicles mean to address this to some extent.

Rivian is a solid startup. How solid? Recently the chameleon running Amazon put a huge cash injection into their system.