Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian delayed again (now Sep for R1T, 2 month additional delay)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Rivian just emailed all reservation holders telling us about yet another production delay. R1T was supposed to be delivered last summer, then July, now it's September. I don't want to hear one more word about Tesla delays...

----

I am writing this letter from our Normal, IL manufacturing plant where our teams are working around the clock to ramp production of our R1T, R1S and commercial vans. It is amazing to see the plant come to life through the work of so many passionate team members.

As I’ve watched our team grow to more than 7,000 people, I’ve also witnessed the excitement from our supporters stretch even greater. Whether you were among our first reservation holders or you’re new to the community, thank you for putting your trust in us and showing so much enthusiasm for our products.

We know you can’t wait to get behind the wheel of your vehicle. Earlier this summer, we announced that deliveries would begin in July; however, the timing for the first deliveries of the R1T has shifted to September, with the R1S shortly thereafter in the fall. I wanted to be sure you heard this from me directly.

There are many reasons why our production ramp is taking longer than expected. The cascading impacts of the pandemic have had a compounding effect greater than anyone anticipated. Everything from facility construction, to equipment installation, to vehicle component supply (especially semiconductors) has been impacted by the pandemic. Beyond these unforeseen challenges, launching three new vehicles while setting up a multi-vehicle manufacturing plant is a complex orchestra of coordinated and interlinked activities where small issues can translate into ramp delays.

Our plant in Normal, IL has two separate production lines currently producing vehicles, one for the R1 vehicles (initially R1T and R1S) and one for our commercial vans. We have now built hundreds of vehicles as part of our validation process, with many of those spotted out in the wild covered in unique vinyl wraps. I have been asked why we aren’t delivering those vehicles or why we continue to test rather than deliver. We believe it is critical to both our long-term success and your ultimate satisfaction that the quality and robustness of our launch products truly sets the tone for what to expect from us as a brand.

I have spoken with a number of you and know we need to do a better job at communicating specifics around deliveries. Our Guides will continue reaching out to schedule deliveries and will be there for any questions throughout the process. We are also preparing for a multi-city, multi-format drive program set to roll out in September. You’ll start to see Rivian charging sites and service centers being built in your local communities; and as we head into the end of the year, you’ll also start to see events, programs and spaces where we’ll be able to bring our Rivian community together.

Lastly, I have spent a lot of time in the R1T and R1S in just about every conceivable environment, and I am excited for you to experience the combination of refinement, capability and performance – it will be worth the wait!

You’ll be hearing more from us over the coming weeks with additional updates and progress. Thanks again for your support and being on this adventure with us.

RJ

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and jjrandorin
I don't have a reservation but I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing their vehicles. I hope they have a successful launch. It's very important to make a good first impression.

It also makes me wonder, what seems to be a man-power issue, if they'd be interested in hiring additional staff to operate the facility 24/7 and compensate predominantly in stock shares.

Reactions: Pricedm
they are hiring like gangbusters right now. several of my colleagues are there and they all like it.

I dont know any more than this, but with the hiring spree, I take that as a good sign. and with lots of new people, there will be a learning curve so not everyone hits the ground running. but a company doing major up-staffing is always a good sign.

Someone should tell RJ that perfection is the enemy of good enough.

I really hate the thought of buying a gas guzzler pickup this year and trading it in for an EV next year, but I am getting closer to doing that now.

Was fully expecting this after not hearing a peep from Rivian as their prior July deliveries timeline arrived. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the main culprit is the chip shortage that's impacting the entire auto industry; not much they can do about this. Hopefully, the start of production doesn't get pushed back into next year.

Someone should tell RJ that perfection is the enemy of good enough.

I really hate the thought of buying a gas guzzler pickup this year and trading it in for an EV next year, but I am getting closer to doing that now.

There is a sign on the wall at the marine service center I use that says "Done is better than Perfect". Sometimes you just want to be done.

Reactions: Cuttin
Yeah. So the saga continues. I think even IF they deliver by end of year, which they prob won't, it will a few units.

I think in 3-5 years, once there is a place to charge this thing and there is a place to fix this thing, it might be a decent company. But by then the big auto might have some good stuff, or at least some competitive stuff.

Yeah. So the saga continues. I think even IF they deliver by end of year, which they prob won't, it will a few units.

I think in 3-5 years, once there is a place to charge this thing and there is a place to fix this thing, it might be a decent company. But by then the big auto might have some good stuff, or at least some competitive stuff.

Omitting the original Roadster, how long was it from Tesla announcing the Model S to them actually delivering vehicles? And then providing a charging network that allowed people to drive more than between SF and LA? At least when Rivian's first car rolls off the line it will be able to drive anywhere the US, much of Canada, and even parts of Mexico.

I'm excited for it. I don't think I want the first round of Rivians, but maybe the second? I bought an early Model Y but Tesla had already sorted out a LOT by then, generally speaking, and even quite a lot on the Model Y itself (based on Model 3 research).

I do not think it will take 3-5 years, but again like Tesla was it is a start up.

apple was very late to the mp3 player market. they watched and let others try things and some worked and some worked less well.

eventually apple came in and established themselves as a leader in that field, of sorts.

not saying they will for cars (lol; I know they have some pet projects that are car related, but, well, even they dont know what they want). but the point is that you have an advantage if you let others 'play around and learn the hard way'; and you can come in and leverage the good ideas while not even having invested any time or energy in bad code or designs.

so, the time to market should go down, as the art of 'self driving' increases, in the industry.

even rocket science isn't rocket science anymore (ha! another elon reference). if elon had to start from where nasa started, he would not even finish a single launch in his lifetime. he benefited strongly by standing on shoulders of giants.

other vendors will also gain this boost.

IMHO they should concentrate on building Amazon delivery vans. It is not as glamorous as an "Adventure vehicle". But a bird in hand...
And that seems to be exactly what they are doing.

However, these delays for retail customers have not impacted the start-up’s plans to provide electric delivery vans to its partner and investor Amazon. Spokespeople for both companies confirmed that Rivian still plans to start production of the vans beginning this year, and with a goal of putting 10,000 vehicles on the road as early as 2022.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I do not think it will take 3-5 years, but again like Tesla was it is a start up.
When tesla started there was no competition.

Rivian is swimming against a very significant tide, with not much of a strong offering.

Again I'm rooting for them bit it doesn't look like it will be able to swim well. But we shall see.

You think they will will have a great charging network and robust service centers in less than 3 years? No way.

Reactions: Brando
When tesla started there was no competition.

Rivian is swimming against a very significant tide, with not much of a strong offering.

Again I'm rooting for them bit it doesn't look like it will be able to swim well. But we shall see.

You think they will will have a great charging network and robust service centers in less than 3 years? No way.
wow, your xtal ball sees quite far into the future.

swimming against a tide? like, there are lots of electric trucks out there in that market, already??

hmmm.

It’s going to be another American-made high quality electric vehicle. And they’re back to by Amazon, so they have a very deep pockets and a company steeped in a spirit of innovation. Looking forward to the launch and wishing them nothing but the best.

Reactions: KJD and Merrill
wow, your xtal ball sees quite far into the future.

swimming against a tide? like, there are lots of electric trucks out there in that market, already??

hmmm.
Lol. Ur right. No trucks yet. But I'm talking overall EVS and infrastructure. Specifically tesla.

Also tesla had proven itself in the market hence it's cyber truck, while not out yet, is much more likely to make it and succeed. Yes I know it looks weird but the specs are key.

I DO like the rivian look and do wish for it to succeed, more competition is better. I just don't see it happening. But we shall see!