Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian delayed again (now Sep for R1T, 2 month additional delay)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i really think you need to do more fact finding.

As stated before I work in the Full Driving field up to my retirement 4 months ago. I am also likely returning in the field in near future because I am pissing off my wife at home.

Tesla has nothing on the FSD side. It will always remain a L2+ platform. Tesla is moving further away from ever having a true FSD.

It’s a liability from both safety and commercial perspective. Whether you like it or now. Getting special case open by NHTSA is a super bad thing. With FTC involved now as well, anyone who has any sort of connection would already know what is the outcome.
So, who is the furthest along on FSD?

Reactions: KJD
It all depends on how you define FSD. Tesla has a general solution that can be rolled out worldwide without too much trouble. It will require, for the foreseeable future, hands on the wheel. Some people don't consider that FSD, but Tesla does.

Most other solutions are geolocked to specific areas. Even the much touted Phoenix Waymo has areas of the city it cannot drive into. It is truly driverless, but cannot drive as fast compared to a human and only works in certain areas. I wouldn't call this FSD, but Waymo does.

In the end, what matters is utility, not some adherence to some wacked out 5 level government "standard" that isn't applicable to the real world.

So far, Tesla's autopilot has helped far more people than other systems. We shall see what the future holds.

It all depends on how you define FSD. Tesla has a general solution that can be rolled out worldwide without too much trouble. It will require, for the foreseeable future, hands on the wheel. Some people don't consider that FSD, but Tesla does.
Teslas solution with hands on wheels is safer than others that are hands off. I'm not sure that having hands free as a feature without having the associated capability is anything to brag about.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Rivian has not delivered single truck other than employees, to my knowledge. And also now this:

"Rivian is prioritizing its Amazon delivery vans over R1T production: report"​

"The production and impending deliveries of the Rivian R1T may be catching most of the electric vehicle community’s attention these days, but it appears that the truck maker may actually have a different priority in the near term. As per a recent report, Rivian is prioritizing the production of Amazon’s electric delivery van rather than the R1T pickup and the R1S SUV. "

Reactions: mark95476
Rivian has not delivered single truck other than employees, to my knowledge. And also now this:

"The production and impending deliveries of the Rivian R1T may be catching most of the electric vehicle community’s attention these days, but it appears that the truck maker may actually have a different priority in the near term. As per a recent report, Rivian is prioritizing the production of Amazon’s electric delivery van rather than the R1T pickup and the R1S SUV. "

Called it, back in post #13.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and mark95476
Thanks for the follow-up.

September came and went. They have all of these media events hyping the pickup so lets hope they're not going let their customers down.

I doesn't seem that they're doing a great job with keeping their customers informed, either.

Not happy that they have my deposit and god knows when I will get my truck if they are prioritizing Amazon Vans.

Common sense? You want both. Eye tracking and hands on wheel.
Ugh ok? I guess? It just seems to me (my common sense) there is no benefit from a safety perspective either way (eye tracking vs hands on). I guess you see (or is it feel for you?) it differently ;-)

Having used EAP for a few years I find it’s decision making (talking EAP not FSD as I have no experience with that ) to be less than adequate by my standards. Hands on or eye tracking is a red herring. Make the core functionality work bullet proof and attention verification method will be non issue.

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark