Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian delayed again (now Sep for R1T, 2 month additional delay)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just coming here to post that. I'd also add that Rivian's pickups aren't quite as massive as the Lightnings (about 15" shorter), they could carve out a nice niche selling to customers who'd like to be able fit their trucks in the garage.
The overall length is one of the reasons I like the Rivian I can fit it in my garage, also the negative on the lightning is I have to take it to a Ford dealership for service and repair. I like the ability to go on my iPhone and get service in my driveway like Tesla.

The assembly line will only be as good as the worst single process on that line. Mistakes are bound to happen in that line.

They will now duplicate those mistakes at two locations instead of fixing the first plant and then avoiding those mistakes in the 2nd location.

Reactions: bruce4000
The assembly line will only be as good as the worst single process on that line. Mistakes are bound to happen in that line.

They will now duplicate those mistakes at two locations instead of fixing the first plant and then avoiding those mistakes in the 2nd location.

This implies that once your processes are set they are set for the next 10+ years.

That is a plan to fail.

You should always be innovating and changing. That potentially invites a new "worst single process. " Your processes should always be changing and improving.

Rivian should plow ahead. And grab market share before a majority of Americans,Europeans, and Chinese have a set BEV brand preference. Once they do it will hard to get them to switch. It is a land grab right now with 2.5% BEV American marketshare. ~10% in China and ~7.5% in Europe.

This implies that once your processes are set they are set for the next 10+ years.
It implies nothing of the sort.

That is a plan to fail.
Being in business for 8 years and not having a product to sell looks like a plan to fail to me.

Rivian should plow ahead. And grab market share before a majority of Americans,Europeans, and Chinese have a set BEV brand preference. Once they do it will hard to get them to switch. It is a land grab right now with 2.5% BEV American marketshare. ~10% in China and ~7.5% in Europe.

This part I agree with. September is getting mighty close. Do you think they will produce any trucks in September or will they delay again ?

Reactions: Cuttin
It implies nothing of the sort.

Being in business for 8 years and not having a product to sell looks like a plan to fail to me.

This part I agree with. September is getting mighty close. Do you think they will produce any trucks in September or will they delay again ?

1) Yes it does.

2) Not if you raise $12B from for profit private capital in those 8 years. Jeff Bezos may not be a genius but he is not a complete idiot either.

3) Like the Cybertuck it doesn't matter if they ship Sept 25 or Oct 5. But given they are giving test drives to actual customers first deliveries are immanent.

FWIW--Deliveries could start next month.

Exciting but it will be a LONG while before I would consider this. I'm sure some people would. But no service centers, no autopilot, no place to charge.

I do really want to see some private owner video reviews though, very excited.

Exciting but it will be a LONG while before I would consider this. I'm sure some people would. But no service centers, no autopilot, no place to charge.

I do really want to see some private owner video reviews though, very excited.
Did you read the article, they come to your house via the app like Tesla. They are the only other EV manufacture that are putting a fast charging infrastructure like Tesla. They already have some service centers through out the US and more to come, most things can be done in your driveway.

Reactions: KJD
Did you read the article, they come to your house via the app like Tesla. They are the only other EV manufacture that are putting a fast charging infrastructure like Tesla. They already have some service centers through out the US and more to come, most things can be done in your driveway.

Lol. I have a tesla for 4 years. Yes mobile service is cool and so are over air updates but that in NO WAY replaces a physical shop. Lots of things need a shop.
Rivian has a pathetic 5 centers or something. It's a joke. Will take MANY years for it to be on par.

And the charging network? Come on. It took tesla many many years to build out. So like I said MAYBE in 2-3 years rivian will have something reasonable. Maybe. But they are saying most of the chargers will be level 2. The fast chargers will be very few and again will take years.

All we know for know is that they are hype and about headlines. Building a second plant? What kind of idiots build a second plant before even making a vehicle.

I do wish them luck, more competition is always good, but even legacy car makers can't come close to tesla, you want some no name company to be competitive off the bat? No way.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Lol. I have a tesla for 4 years. Yes mobile service is cool and so are over air updates but that in NO WAY replaces a physical shop. Lots of things need a shop.
Rivian has a pathetic 5 centers or something. It's a joke. Will take MANY years for it to be on par.

And the charging network? Come on. It took tesla many many years to build out. So like I said MAYBE in 2-3 years rivian will have something reasonable. Maybe. But they are saying most of the chargers will be level 2. The fast chargers will be very few and again will take years.

All we know for know is that they are hype and about headlines. Building a second plant? What kind of idiots build a second plant before even making a vehicle.

I do wish them luck, more competition is always good, but even legacy car makers can't come close to tesla, you want some no name company to be competitive off the bat? No way.
Will I guess if the Rivian is a mirage I will have to get a Lighting.

Will I guess if the Rivian is a mirage I will have to get a Lighting.
Not a mirage but c'mon they are tiny. They won't be able to support a nation wide release not unlike like any other niche brand. Hell Tesla is niche in some parts of teh country where a service center may be a few hours away. And that is Tesla which is the biggest pure ev play, imagine your problem if the worst happens and service is 5 hours away or more?