Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Deliveries Pushed to 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rivian has started notifying customers that they will need to wait a bit longer to receive their vehicles.

Rivian has sent notifications that lay out delivery windows for the “Launch Edition” that range from March to September. It’s reasonable to assume that the company’s less-pricey “Adventure” and “Explore” packages will also be pushed to the second half of 2022.

While Rivian has started production of its all-electric R1T pickup, few have been delivered. The R1S SUV was expected to go into production next month, but it is not clear if that will be the case.

Rivian currently operates a single factory in Normal, Illinois and is reportedly looking for a second factory location. 

Early reviews of the R1T pickup have been strong. And investors have been supportive, as the company’s recent IPO gave it a market capitalization of $100 billion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The delivery of a few hundred initial high-priced vehicles (even if very nice), with the remaining vehicles substantially delayed, and the delivery of standard versions further delayed beyond that does not (yet) mean a successful EV initiative. People may gotten ahead of reality in their positive evaluation of Rivian. Rivian has a long way to go before it gets to where Tesla is now, if it ever does. The same comments can be made about Lucid. Tesla has had a long route as well, but it has travelled it.

Rivian has a long ways to go before it gets to where Tesla was when Tesla was valued at $100b, let alone where it is now.

This is a bit of a bummer, but not entirely surprising if you’ve followed their deliveries and production numbers at all. Most car companies don’t deliver cars to their customers when they only have a handful built, they build hundreds for internal testing and they end up as employee and investor cars or used in internal fleets.

The sole reason Rivian made their first deliveries was to push their IPO. They’ve got their IPO completed now so they can back off with the sham wow and get their production line working to scale.

Sucks for Rivian customers and investors, but it’s been pretty clear they were more interested in media attention and promoting the brand than serious about production for the past few months.

Rivian has a long ways to go before it gets to where Tesla was when Tesla was valued at $100b, let alone where it is now.

This is a bit of a bummer, but not entirely surprising if you’ve followed their deliveries and production numbers at all. Most car companies don’t deliver cars to their customers when they only have a handful built, they build hundreds for internal testing and they end up as employee and investor cars or used in internal fleets.

The sole reason Rivian made their first deliveries was to push their IPO. They’ve got their IPO completed now so they can back off with the sham wow and get their production line working to scale.

Sucks for Rivian customers and investors, but it’s been pretty clear they were more interested in media attention and promoting the brand than serious about production for the past few months.
Total bummer. I expect this from Lucid and Fiskar (or whatever crumbs remain, if any) was hoping Rivian was taking their time to get it right. Still might, who knows.

Reactions: TessP100D
Total bummer. I expect this from Lucid and Fiskar (or whatever crumbs remain, if any) was hoping Rivian was taking their time to get it right. Still might, who knows.
I think that’s what they are doing.

My big frustration with Rivian is I feel like they played the media, their customers, and investors so they could maximize their IPO. It makes sense and it’s cool to take the time to get it right. Not cool to lie about it and tell everyone you are firing up the mills when you are only just crawling past the first few beta trucks suitable for employees and internal fleet vehicles.

My big frustration with Rivian is I feel like they played the media, their customers, and investors so they could maximize their IPO. It makes sense and it’s cool to take the time to get it right. Not cool to lie about it and tell everyone you are firing up the mills when you are only just crawling past the first few beta trucks suitable for employees and internal fleet vehicles.

I was able to go to the Rivian Event in Sonoma a few weeks ago and was impressed by the build quality and fit and finish, much better looking in person. I was able to sit inside and I thought the interior is nicer than either of my Tesla’s. Patience is a virtue.
This tracks, sort of. They have a responsibility to put out reasonable PR based on their honest assessments of development schedules.

I know a few engineers who have migrated from Tesla and other places to Rivian, and they report it's the real thing, they're doing it right, so I'm hesitant to lump them in with Lucid and Fiskar.

And I know first hand the supply bottlenecks are a real bottleneck right now. Our big flagship development project is delayed by 14 months from original timelines, 100% supply chain related. This is the worst time to launch a new product.

Reactions: GeoX750 and tm1v2
If we’re talking equities in here, anyone in the game should know they’re forward-looking instruments. Tesla didn’t get the same kind of early upward trajectory because they were the first mover, but they paved the way for Rivian’s valuation. And for their own, because Tesla’s current valuation is also looking way into the future.

The Rivian vehicles are getting extremely good reviews and they have major backers, they'll do just fine over the long term.

Reactions: stcptl and redalf
Considering Tesla manufactured zero of the Model S line in Q1 and orders (like my own) are being pushed 9-months out (14-Dec to 28-Dec) it's likely that even Tesla orders made this year will be delayed until 2022.
Who cares about your Model S? Where the heck is my Cyber truck! LOL

They certainly did play it up. No doubt about that.
Rivian does have serious backing though. Jeff Bezos, Amazon and George Soro's Fund.
Bezos and Soros both have deep control of a lot of media and they know how to use it to their advantage.
I think Rivian will be successful. I'm not so sure about Lucid

Can hardly wait to see how "tank turns" actually work. [mud/dry/paved road]
I think that's going to turn out to be a gimmick. :(

Reactions: Brando and WhiteWi

you get a 100B IPO and then delay the deliveries.
Brillantly played Rivian!

I’m going to cut Rivian some slack, when you have a start up car company there is a lot to put together. If you think about what is involved it is amazing it can even be done. Go back to Tesla’s beginning I waited 2 years for my Model X so I knew Rivian would not deliver the R1T in January of 2022.
There is SpaceX… and then there’s everybody else. Same applies to Tesla. “There’s Tesla…and then there’s everybody else”.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I’m going to cut Rivian some slack, when you have a start up car company there is a lot to put together. If you think about what is involved it is amazing it can even be done. Go back to Tesla’s beginning I waited 2 years for my Model X so I knew Rivian would not deliver the R1T in January of 2022.
Teslas market cap was what… $10B when the Model X launched?