Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Deliveries Pushed to 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rivian has started notifying customers that they will need to wait a bit longer to receive their vehicles.

Rivian has sent notifications that lay out delivery windows for the “Launch Edition” that range from March to September. It’s reasonable to assume that the company’s less-pricey “Adventure” and “Explore” packages will also be pushed to the second half of 2022.

While Rivian has started production of its all-electric R1T pickup, few have been delivered. The R1S SUV was expected to go into production next month, but it is not clear if that will be the case.

Rivian currently operates a single factory in Normal, Illinois and is reportedly looking for a second factory location. 

Early reviews of the R1T pickup have been strong. And investors have been supportive, as the company’s recent IPO gave it a market capitalization of $100 billion.

Last edited by a moderator:
At those prices, they're definitely a niche car maker. I don't even know why they want to build a new plant because their TAM isn't that big. Tesla sales of S and X peaked around 100K per year. Their overall sales only exploded when the 3 and Y came out.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
This has a whiff of fraud to me.
I won't say it isn't fraud, however, it is just as likely to be the true cost of doing business.
Making an automobile company is extremely hard. Tesla is the only American success story in the better part of a century. Rivian will probably go close to broke, just like Tesla did, before either taking off or disappearing.
They have a few things going for them that Tesla didn't (receptive investment community) and some things that Tesla didn't (low hanging Roadster fruit).
My gut feeling is that Rivian is legitimate and just having to make tough decisions to keep going. I haven't invested or reserved a vehicle though since I'm not rich enough for another expensive vehicle that I don't need and we already have a Roadster.

Reactions: Ogre
We canceled our order last night. $80k was possibly justifiable for what might be the last truck we’d ever need. The below price increase made it unpalatable - closing in on $100k for a truck after taxes is pretty heady stuff.

51913527262_dabe7f9322_z.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Clearly, there is a much demand for an EV truck at 75-80K than at $90K+. The question is whether pre orders will keep pouring in after the price increase. Frankly 2 or 4 motors shouldn't be a big deal to most, but an $80K truck with 260 miles of range is a tougher proposition.
… and if you get the off-road tires it’s more like 235 miles. Add the rails and a couple bikes and it’s down to 200 miles. Add the pop up tent instead and it’s down to 190. They have a lot of options that reduce range which doesn’t work super well when you have low range to begin with.

Reactions: WhiteWi
"For anyone with a Rivian preorder as of the March 1 pricing announcement, your original configured price will be honored. If you canceled your preorder on or after March 1 and would like to reinstate it, we will restore your original configuration, pricing and delivery timing. Our team will be sending an email in the next few days with more details."

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Saw a Rivian in the wild yesterday. Forest Green. looked like a nice truck driving down the road - but still can’t get over the front end / headlights.