Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian - Electric Truck - Reveal set for Nov 30 at LA Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek has article about it.

Maybe I am just tired of CGI EV and announcements...

Their skateboard looks interesting, high capacity battery, air suspension and motors but I do hope that someone will acquire them and design a better exterior and interior.

Edit: on the second thought, all black interior looks ok. I am not a big fan of wood accents.

Also, less cargo and towing capacity than F150 could be problematic.

Last edited:
BTW the Rivian homepage has photos,details and is not CGI...as far as I can tell. SUV gets announced tomorrow.
This is all I see on Rivian's site:
upload_2018-11-26_8-26-10.png

Not very informative.

Edit: I found another link that actually displays actual information: Rivian

They really need to fix their homepage!

Really - the Rivian R1T is as well. 11,000 towing and nearly a ton payload - that's Med Duty in my mind. But the drawback is that it's small....see the details about comparison to Toyota and Ranger....
Dzm

Specs given are contradictory, it shows 5000 trailer weight rating but units are lbs on one side and kg on the other.

If it is 5000kg than it’s good, however, I expect Tesla truck be double that.

My question is, where will they get juice? Put charge outlet in every garage
Porche says their car goes 300 miles, but needs 400 volts to charge in 20 minutes.
BMW 530e goes 30 miles.
We have network, they use charge point? 110 volt?
This is what drives me nuts when people fawn over I-Pace. They either do not plan to go on road trips, or (more likely) they have not considered the years of runway that Tesla has built ahead of its competitors with its supercharger network. It may be the biggest technological advantage over the competition since Amazon's AWS.

This is what drives me nuts when people fawn over I-Pace. They either do not plan to go on road trips, or (more likely) they have not considered the years of runway that Tesla has built ahead of its competitors with its supercharger network. It may be the biggest technological advantage over the competition since Amazon's AWS.

But as we see with AWS, the competition can catch up and surpass in areas. No EV maker or Cloud provider can rest on their laurels.

But as we see with AWS, the competition can catch up and surpass in areas. No EV maker or Cloud provider can rest on their laurels.
I don't know if that's a good analogy. It's trivial to install servers and wire them to the Internet. Building a network of Superchargers is far more difficult.
Electrify America is a start which shows how difficult it is to build a network. It will take them 5-10 years to build something equivalent to what Tesla has today (just as it took Tesla 5+ years to build its current network.)

I don't know if that's a good analogy. It's trivial to install servers and wire them to the Internet. Building a network of Superchargers is far more difficult.
Electrify America is a start which shows how difficult it is to build a network. It will take them 5-10 years to build something equivalent to what Tesla has today (just as it took Tesla 5+ years to build its current network.)
Yes it's trivial to plug some servers into the internet, but expanding the local infrastructure to support their massive scale (and having the weight and experience to get the entire process done) makes this very analogous to the supercharger network. It cost years and massive capital outlays for both Amazon and Tesla to gain their respective advantages. Today there is simply no way that a car company could, for example, halve the time it would take to replicate Tesla's network. Not for any dollar amount a car company these days would consider, anyway.
I'm not taking assertions today that AWS has a competitor, just no. And the idea that either Tesla or AWS would rest on their laurels (or that I would suggest as such) is simply a strawman argument. Their scale is simply years and billions ahead of the competition, and it will take an unforeseen technological leap or massive corporate misstep to change that. I would bet on the latter in Tesla's case, if forced to choose.

It's not a technological advantage IMO.

Let's see...Tesla has a proprietary charging system, and everyone else is following standards....Tesla is now equipping cars in other countries with CCS to get market share right, and they just had to drop the price in the largest market to keep the business moving...HHmmm...so in the long run who's going to win? IMO there will never be a one size fits all, and Tesla will probably end up having to let any EV us the SC network via adapters on their end to make money, just like you a Tesla can connect and use any other level 2 with an adapter.

Other EVs/people are free to use Level 2s all over the place as well and all you're really tlaking about is Level 3 right, well:
ChargePoint raises $240 million from Daimler, BMW, and others to accelerate EV charging infrastructure

So only time will tell, early lead does not often tell who won the race before it's over.

Dzm

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand and KJD
It's not a technological advantage IMO.

Let's see...Tesla has a proprietary charging system, and everyone else is following standards....Tesla is now equipping cars in other countries with CCS to get market share right, and they just had to drop the price in the largest market to keep the business moving...HHmmm...so in the long run who's going to win? IMO there will never be a one size fits all, and Tesla will probably end up having to let any EV us the SC network via adapters on their end to make money, just like you a Tesla can connect and use any other level 2 with an adapter.

Other EVs/people are free to use Level 2s all over the place as well and all you're really tlaking about is Level 3 right, well:
ChargePoint raises $240 million from Daimler, BMW, and others to accelerate EV charging infrastructure

So only time will tell, early lead does not often tell who won the race before it's over.

Dzm

Tesla can us both charging systems. Yes, eventually the advantage will diminish but for many years to come it is a clear advantage. That and how efficient Tesla’s are over others.

Speaking of efficiency, Rivan Pickup and SUV are EV equivalent of a gas guzzler.