Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Gets Range Rating of 316 Miles for R1T Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has posted official range estimates for the Rivian’s all-electric pickup and sport-utility vehicle. 

According to a posting on the agency’s website, the R1T pickup truck has an official EPA range of 314 miles, while its R1T SUV received a rating of 316 miles. Rivian has promised at least 300 miles of range.

The “Launch edition” of the R1T pickup and R1S SUV will have a 135-kWh battery pack. Future trim packages will also include the “large pack” battery. Rivian plans a future “Max pack” that will push range over 400 miles.

While pickups are among the most popular vehicles in the U.S., there has yet to be a competitive electric pickup option. With deliveries for Rivian beginning this month, the startup automaker will have the first compelling option on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing no one mentions about ANY EV is it's weight. Because it's absurd.
the MY weighs about 4450lbs.
this is yet another reason why the MEGACASTS are a big deal. The weight savings is 440lbs (10%), according to EM. Even using 2170 batteries, it's a 200+ saving.
Weight buys range. Weight buys performance. Weight buys handling.
Weight also means you'll be eating tires.
Woo so is it safe to assume we might see a 3500 lb P3D? Cant wait to see the newer batteries and the light weight. If only they made it in a coupe that I could still car camp in.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Is the Rivian range rating from the 5-cycle EPA test or the 2-cycle test?

Tesla, and so far only Tesla, uses the full 5-cycle test for EPA range ratings. The 5-cycle test gives range ratings pretty close to the European WLTP test, and the range rating is slightly optimistic. Other automakers use the 2-cycle test, which itself gives wildly inaccurate range ratings, but then chop the number by 30%, which makes the range ratings imprecise but conservative.

If Rivian is using the 5-cycle test to get these ratings, then the delta between the rated range and real-world range is going to be very similar to the Model 3 (brand new and charged to 100%). If Rivian is using the 2-cycle test, real world may (or may not) be much better than the EPA rating.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Is this a realer world EPA rating? How much did they voluntarily report? Or is more like tesla's 65mph downhill drafting EPA estimates?
There is a standard for the EPA rating. It is the highway dyno test whose schedule is described at Detailed Test Information . Click the highway tab. It's is run on a dynamometer in a lab and the max speed is 60 mph. Other test schedules are defined on the other tabs.

While this may not reflect many people's driving, it is a fixed standard so good for comparing vehicle A to vehicle B.

Reactions: BostonBurley
There is a standard for the EPA rating. It is the highway dyno test whose schedule is described at Detailed Test Information . Click the highway tab. It's is run on a dynamometer in a lab and the max speed is 60 mph. Other test schedules are defined on the other tabs.

While this may not reflect many people's driving, it is a fixed standard so good for comparing vehicle A to vehicle B.
Consumption is standard; however, range isn't, you can voluntarily report what you want as long as it's lower. Even tesla does it, and more famously Porsche. Take a look: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=51461&flag=1
Also you can change your derating factor from the mandatory .7 from dyno tests if you conduct the 5 cycle testing if the factor is higher than .7, which they are for Tesla models with the heatpump.

That's also going to be the range of the $50K CT, and the range of most Tesla. I believe that 400 miles is the perfect range for me, but 300 allows you to do quite a bit. I have seen a couple R1T on the road around the bay area. It looks really good, and I think it'll be successful for its outdoor enthusiast intended market.
The difference is that the 50k cybertruck has the built in cover for the bed making the vehicle far more aerodynamic. You can fit a lot in the bed and still use that cover. That makes the cybertruck great for the type who just enjoy driving a truck but rarely tow or haul things in the bed. I think anyone thinking ANY EV at the current stage is suited for the "outdoor enthusiast" is overly optimistic at best. Not enough charging options in the outdoors to be able to get by with such low real range numbers when actually taking along the equipment most people do for outdoor activities. Don't misunderstand me, we will get there, but this isn't there yet. I'm glad many of you like it and might buy it. You will fund the further development so that we get to the point of really useful EVs faster. But I'll keep planning on a tri-motor cybertruck for now so that even at half it's rated range I can get from Supercharger to supercharger and then to the campgrounds.

Reactions: 365gtb4 and WhiteWi
That is a puzzle that still needs to be solved with EVs. The math on range is similar when towing with an ICE truck or SUV. Although adding a larger fuel tank is more easily and cheaply done to achieve reasonable range compared to adding significantly larger batteries on an EV. Making things lighter as mentioned previously is certainly one area that should be pursued though adding battery capacity does just the opposite.
I think that for some applications having some sort of additional battery system in the trailer and way to connect it to the EV is going to be the answer. Not for every thing, lots of basic trailers without batteries will still be out there, but in some instances I think that is going to make sense and that we might see them come along.

Reactions: Brando
I think that for some applications having some sort of additional battery system in the trailer and way to connect it to the EV is going to be the answer. Not for every thing, lots of basic trailers without batteries will still be out there, but in some instances I think that is going to make sense and that we might see them come along.
The idea is simple and on paper sounds like a great idea... however it is not w/o major compromises. A trailer with enough density is gonna weigh a grip adding to an already finite tow capacity, aero drag, and on top of all that there charging compromises. You'll now have two things to charge when you finally get to wherever. You can go further but when you have to refill you are stuck there twice as long. The trailer below for ex. more than half of the trailers capacity is eaten up by the weight of the batteries. And we haven't even considered the insane cost, like easily more than half the cost of the towing vehicle. Also, another issue is that these things cannot charge while moving.

Reactions: gowthamn
Don't underestimate the drag of the bed on a truck. Especially when it's filled with all sort of oddly shaped items that are over the height of the side rails.
I suspect most EV pickup buyers, having paid premium $$$ for it, will likely spring for bed covers of some sort.
It's all splitting hairs anyway.
Rivian will only have a limited quantity available for a year or more.
CT won't be available for a couple years unless you've VERY early pre-ordered. A million pre-orders means .... C-YA.
The F-150 Lightning also can't be had for a couple years, since Ford will only build 40K next year and backlog is 150K orders ... and counting.

The difference is that the 50k cybertruck has the built in cover for the bed making the vehicle far more aerodynamic. You can fit a lot in the bed and still use that cover. That makes the cybertruck great for the type who just enjoy driving a truck but rarely tow or haul things in the bed. I think anyone thinking ANY EV at the current stage is suited for the "outdoor enthusiast" is overly optimistic at best. Not enough charging options in the outdoors to be able to get by with such low real range numbers when actually taking along the equipment most people do for outdoor activities. Don't misunderstand me, we will get there, but this isn't there yet. I'm glad many of you like it and might buy it. You will fund the further development so that we get to the point of really useful EVs faster. But I'll keep planning on a tri-motor cybertruck for now so that even at half it's rated range I can get from Supercharger to supercharger and then to the campgrounds.
I got a tri motor CT on order, but i think that the Rivian would satisfy the average weekend warrior.

I suspect most EV pickup buyers, having paid premium $$$ for it, will likely spring for bed covers of some sort.
It's all splitting hairs anyway.
Rivian will only have a limited quantity available for a year or more.
CT won't be available for a couple years unless you've VERY early pre-ordered. A million pre-orders means .... C-YA.
The F-150 Lightning also can't be had for a couple years, since Ford will only build 40K next year and backlog is 150K orders ... and counting.
The lesson is, if you don’t have one of any of these on order, your input is that of a pedestrian. All three trucks will be great trucks. I guarantee it. The CT will have the most issues.