Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Gets Range Rating of 316 Miles for R1T Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has posted official range estimates for the Rivian’s all-electric pickup and sport-utility vehicle. 

According to a posting on the agency’s website, the R1T pickup truck has an official EPA range of 314 miles, while its R1T SUV received a rating of 316 miles. Rivian has promised at least 300 miles of range.

The “Launch edition” of the R1T pickup and R1S SUV will have a 135-kWh battery pack. Future trim packages will also include the “large pack” battery. Rivian plans a future “Max pack” that will push range over 400 miles.

While pickups are among the most popular vehicles in the U.S., there has yet to be a competitive electric pickup option. With deliveries for Rivian beginning this month, the startup automaker will have the first compelling option on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m hoping that Rivian is giving mileage estimates for truck type usage, hence the low number on a 135 kWh battery. Eg it’s 300 miles at loaded weight
I hope not. Simply because I like comparing apples to apples. These are EPA estimates. They should run a vehicle for EPA estimates with the same standards regardless of what someone might use it for.
This way you can compare vehicles with a standard.. That's what these estimates are best for doing.

Ford, RAM, Chevy et al have their ICE pickups EPA rated they don't do loaded weights, towing etc.
They are done using specifications set by law using a dynomometer in a testing lab. The manufacturer supplies the numbers to the EPA and the EPA actually tests something like 20% of them to compare.
I can't see why EVs would be done differently and I hope they aren't.

When Tesla got the EPA rating on the S Plaid they didn't do it launches because drivers might do that a lot .

If Rivian or any other manufacturer wants to show range via a load, or towing or whatever added complications in their advertising or online whatever that's great.
But an EPA estimate for a Rivian pick up should be done with the same standards as a Tesla Model Y or a Ford Mach E, or a Chevy Bolt or the Cyber Truck

I am hoping Rivian is doing a Porsche EPA style. That would be great real world better than or similar to what they rated. Imagine going 75 mph for 300+ miles.

This thing looks like a tank next to Model X from a pix of X and R1T at the Rivian factory. So big some thought it was a Model Y next to it.

I am hoping Rivian is doing a Porsche EPA style. That would be great real world better than or similar to what they rated. Imagine going 75 mph for 300+ miles.

This thing looks like a tank next to Model X from a pix of X and R1T at the Rivian factory. So big some thought it was a Model Y next to it.
I’m getting a R1T because it will fit in my garage, the lightning will not.

Taycan had a 2sp gearbox like an overdrive gear for cruising on freeways. Great idea, but it does have its draw backs. We'll see what, if anything, Rivian has done here.

Aerodynamics are going to be brutal for Rivian and others that went with the classic pick-up shape (high drag coeff).

135 kWh battery for ~ 315 miles range doesn't sound very efficient.
I think this Rivian +3 metric tons ~7,000 lbs
The first electric vehicle by Rivian is the R1T model. It is a pickup truck featuring cutting edge technology. Apart from its performance, the best thing about the R1T is that it will produce zero emissions which means its owners can fulfill their dream of having an adventurous vehicle while saving the environment from harmful emissions. The Rivian R1T is quite large in size with a 135.8-inch wheelbase and a 217.1-inch overall length. It has the look of a modern pickup with 5 seats and four doors.
The design of the R1T is both innovative and attractive. Furthermore, the battery range is expected to be over 400 miles. However, the advertised battery range is still not verified by the EPA yet. The truck’s towing capacity would be 11,000 pounds which is not bad at all considering the towing capacity of other pickup trucks. The company predicts that its maximum payload capacity would be 1,760 pounds.

Reactions: Potpourri
Taycan had a 2sp gearbox like an overdrive gear for cruising on freeways. Great idea, but it does have its draw backs. We'll see what, if anything, Rivian has done here.

Aerodynamics are going to be brutal for Rivian and others that went with the classic pick-up shape (high drag coeff).

I had a Rav4EV (with Tesla tech) with 70-ish mpge like this Rivian. That is great news considering the Rivian is so much bigger than the Rav.

ID.4, MachE, and Kia/Hyundai under reports EPA with single gear. So we can only hope Rivian is doing that too with their software magic.

Like you said, we will have to see when it comes out.

Not to mention charging times. Most CCS DCFC are 100kwh or less. If you find a 50kwh charger (which is common) you have to double your time at a charger for the same range as something like a Bolt that has half the size of the Rivian battery. And charging at home with a standard 35kwh level 2 charger? Ugh! You will get something like 15 miles of range per hour. That's like 20 hours for a full charge on a 50 amp circuit.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and APotatoGod
Yes, a bit underwhelming considering it's late 2021. We'll see what they get on road tests.

Max battery pack, which I think people wanted for towing, is still TBD.
Well, when results are out in 2021 on ideas implemented in 2018 from people hired in 2016 who left Tesla in 2014 with ideas that were conceived there in 2012, you sort of get the picture.

I feel bad for them.
That is HORRIBLE for a 135kw pack!

What a shame. I figured rivian was a serious contendor but obviously not.

Another one bites the dust.

The price will need to be VERY high in order to make money with so much battery in it. And given they are targeting people who will hurt aerodynamics, kayaks, bikes, weight, towing, it's gonna be a great looking but useless truck.

A model x would get 480miles on 135pack, just for a quick comparison.