Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Gets Range Rating of 316 Miles for R1T Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has posted official range estimates for the Rivian’s all-electric pickup and sport-utility vehicle. 

According to a posting on the agency’s website, the R1T pickup truck has an official EPA range of 314 miles, while its R1T SUV received a rating of 316 miles. Rivian has promised at least 300 miles of range.

The “Launch edition” of the R1T pickup and R1S SUV will have a 135-kWh battery pack. Future trim packages will also include the “large pack” battery. Rivian plans a future “Max pack” that will push range over 400 miles.

While pickups are among the most popular vehicles in the U.S., there has yet to be a competitive electric pickup option. With deliveries for Rivian beginning this month, the startup automaker will have the first compelling option on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel bad for them.
That is HORRIBLE for a 135kw pack!

What a shame. I figured rivian was a serious contendor but obviously not.

Another one bites the dust.

The price will need to be VERY high in order to make money with so much battery in it. And given they are targeting people who will hurt aerodynamics, kayaks, bikes, weight, towing, it's gonna be a great looking but useless truck.

A model x would get 480miles on 135pack, just for a quick comparison.
I think they and Ford are going for the buyer that wants a basic looking pick up design.
Which is about as aerodynamic as a brick. Maybe less.

A large % of pick up drivers never use them for anything more than picking up a pizza.
Those that buy these trucks to tow their boat , go camping with kayaks on the roof etc are in for a rude awakening I'd wager.

I am looking forward to the R1S. Looking for a three row SUV, but the Model X is too city oriented. The Model X you can’t put kayaks on top or get very far off road. Cybertruck is only 2 rows so still be an issue for me as I want 3 rows.
I agree with everything you said. The Model X with its inability to have a roof rack and the Model Y with its tiny backseat just don’t fit the bill for me either. If I were in buying today I’d pick the Rivian.

Reactions: McMoo
One aspect of these EV trucks that no one mentions is their weight. The Lightning and R1T is up to 7000lbs. The Hummer is over 9000lbs. These weights are getting insane and I really question their safety for anyone getting t-boned by one of these. These things will crush everything else on the road, it's a rather scary proposition.
the thing no one mentions about ANY EV is it's weight. Because it's absurd.
the MY weighs about 4450lbs.
this is yet another reason why the MEGACASTS are a big deal. The weight savings is 440lbs (10%), according to EM. Even using 2170 batteries, it's a 200+ saving.
Weight buys range. Weight buys performance. Weight buys handling.
Weight also means you'll be eating tires.

Yup.

Owners need to avoid mud and soft sand while off-roading. All that power and torque doesn't mean a lick and will only sink you to your frame. A heavy duty winch will be mandatory for any off-roading. Any roll-over or tipping is bad, but we're talking enormous weights with these EV pick-ups.

One aspect of these EV trucks that no one mentions is their weight. The Lightning and R1T is up to 7000lbs. The Hummer is over 9000lbs. These weights are getting insane and I really question their safety for anyone getting t-boned by one of these. These things will crush everything else on the road, it's a rather scary proposition.

CT also uses SS structural skin to reduce weight. The quickest and easiest thing would be body on frame like everyone else.

the thing no one mentions about ANY EV is it's weight. Because it's absurd.
the MY weighs about 4450lbs.
this is yet another reason why the MEGACASTS are a big deal. The weight savings is 440lbs (10%), according to EM. Even using 2170 batteries, it's a 200+ saving.
Weight buys range. Weight buys performance. Weight buys handling.
Weight also means you'll be eating tires.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yup.

Owners need to avoid mud and soft sand while off-roading. All that power and torque doesn't mean a lick and will only sink you to your frame. A heavy duty winch will be mandatory for any off-roading. Any roll-over or tipping is bad, but we're talking enormous weights with these EV pick-ups.

CT also uses SS structural skin to reduce weight. The quickest and easiest thing would be body on frame like everyone else.
Actually, you got the construction of the CT terms confused.

The CT is supposed to utilize MONOCOQUE construction.
From Wiki: Monocoque, also called structural skin, is a structural system in which loads are supported by an object's external skin, in a manner similar to an egg shell. The word monocoque is a French term for "single shell".

Most passenger vehicles are constructed as a UNIBODY chasiss, and body panels hung on that are mostly not load-bearing.

You can definitely tell the fanboys from the adults in this thread. Efficiency and pack size don't matter to utility vehicle buyers. What matters to them is price, performance, and utility/functionality. In the ICE equivalent world of utility vehicles, MPG (efficiency) is much lower in priority to gas tank size (range) and functionality.

As far as safety is concerned, I'm more concerned with MY safety than that of someone in another vehicle. I'm not supposed to buy a 9,000 lb vehicle because, if I T-bone someone in a smaller car, they get killed? I don't think that's how safety considerations work.

By the way, according to MKBHD (a pretty reliable source) Ford is quoting range of F-150 Lightning w/ 1,000 lbs of cargo...

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds about right... You calling others "fanboys" and bringing up Ford pick-up in a Rivian thread. ;)

MKBHD is a tech YouTuber who's carrying water for Ford by quoting that "reliable source". He hasn't ranged tested the F150 Lightning.

By the way, according to MKBHD (a pretty reliable source) Ford is quoting range of F-150 Lightning w/ 1,000 lbs of cargo...

Yeah, sounds about right... You calling others "fanboys" and bringing up Ford pick-up in a Rivian thread. ;)

MKBHD is a tech YouTuber who's carrying water for Ford by quoting that "reliable source". He hasn't ranged tested the F150 Lightning.
That tech YouTuber who you say is "carrying water for Ford" is actually a Tesla fan and owner of both a Raven and Plaid Model S. And did you notice the red Tesla surfboard leaning on the wall behind him? What does a Tesla owner (me) bringing up Ford in a Rivian thread in a Tesla forum have to do with my comment about fanboys? My comment was re: how some here are already, and irrationally, playing defense against a product that hasn't even shipped yet. That's some super powerful insecurity.

So real world range like 250 at least. And with a load of equipment in the bed probably half that. Pass!
That's also going to be the range of the $50K CT, and the range of most Tesla. I believe that 400 miles is the perfect range for me, but 300 allows you to do quite a bit. I have seen a couple R1T on the road around the bay area. It looks really good, and I think it'll be successful for its outdoor enthusiast intended market.

Towing will be the killer. A boxy trailer has a lot of drag that must be overcome with additional power from the battery.
That is a puzzle that still needs to be solved with EVs. The math on range is similar when towing with an ICE truck or SUV. Although adding a larger fuel tank is more easily and cheaply done to achieve reasonable range compared to adding significantly larger batteries on an EV. Making things lighter as mentioned previously is certainly one area that should be pursued though adding battery capacity does just the opposite.

Derp. Derp. ;)

YouTubers get paid to Youtube. The guys super successful and been around long enough that he knows how to play the game and drop obvious clickbait without it being too blatant.

Get that $ from Ford enthusiasts.
Get that $ from Tesla enthusiasts.
Get that $ from Rivian enthusiasts.
Get that $ from [BRAND_X] enthusiasts.
Get that $ from [BRAND_Y] enthusiasts.
...etc...
Just get that $...

That tech YouTuber who you say is "carrying water for Ford" is actually a Tesla fan and owner of both a Raven and Plaid Model S. And did you notice the red Tesla surfboard leaning on the wall behind him? What does a Tesla owner (me) bringing up Ford in a Rivian thread in a Tesla forum have to do with my comment about fanboys? My comment was re: how some here are already, and irrationally, playing defense against a product that hasn't even shipped yet. That's some super powerful insecurity.