Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Gets Range Rating of 316 Miles for R1T Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has posted official range estimates for the Rivian’s all-electric pickup and sport-utility vehicle. 

According to a posting on the agency’s website, the R1T pickup truck has an official EPA range of 314 miles, while its R1T SUV received a rating of 316 miles. Rivian has promised at least 300 miles of range.

The “Launch edition” of the R1T pickup and R1S SUV will have a 135-kWh battery pack. Future trim packages will also include the “large pack” battery. Rivian plans a future “Max pack” that will push range over 400 miles.

While pickups are among the most popular vehicles in the U.S., there has yet to be a competitive electric pickup option. With deliveries for Rivian beginning this month, the startup automaker will have the first compelling option on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel bad for them.
That is HORRIBLE for a 135kw pack!

What a shame. I figured rivian was a serious contendor but obviously not.

Another one bites the dust.

The price will need to be VERY high in order to make money with so much battery in it. And given they are targeting people who will hurt aerodynamics, kayaks, bikes, weight, towing, it's gonna be a great looking but useless truck.

A model x would get 480miles on 135pack, just for a quick comparison.
Model X is also an SUV without an open bed or traditional styling.

But what could you actually do with the model X? The truck form factor adds quite a bit more utility vs the X which is essentially a minivan/family hauler… 2 diff types a vehicles with no overlap. The ven diagram of people looking at both an X and an R1T is probably non existent- or similar in that of those cross shopping an Model S vs Ford F-250 super duty. No overlap thus dumb comparison.

plus as far are as range I am pretty sure the Model X will state a EPA of 420mi but we know Tesla is “optimistic “ with range thus their #’s are useless in all but the most unrealistic scenarios .
I actually bought a model S to daily instead of my f250

Yeah, I'm sure Elon is going to make sure Jeff Bezos' Rivian investment is secure by opening up his supercharger network ASAP. :rolleyes:

...Whenver he has time fending off all of Bezos' constant lawsuits.

Elon won't have a choice if he wants to take advantage of the billions in government funding.

It's also 7,000 sounds and only has a fairly small load capacity of ~1600 pounds. If you have the roof top tent they demo everywhere, a spare tire, and 4 people, you are down to ~500 pounds actual useful load. Not very impressive for a pick up.

Go look at the payload sticker of any old regular F150 on the lot, 1600 is about normal. Some have as low as 1,000.

I didn't mean this to be funny... :) I really want to see first owners impressions and reviews. Are there any updates or something?
First customer ones rolled off the lot this week so delivers should be in the next week or two.
I'm pretty sure Tesla is opening up the SC network so they can tap into the $7.5b from the infrastructure bill set aside from building out charging stations.

I doubt they will be able to charge more for non-Teslas and take advantage of that funding.

They did hint at the last earnings call they were going to implement time limits and fees for people who camp chargers. My thought is after half an hour (when most Teslas will be at 80%+ charge), they will cut off the charger and start charging idle fees similar to how they manage in demand stations now. So if someone rolls up in their Mustang and is hoping to camp out for 50 minutes to top off they are going to be disappointed.

My Tesla isn't even close to done charging after 30 minutes. When Tesla decided to launch charge-gate they shot themsleves in the foot with clogging up their own chargers.

Also not sure why it should be fair for everyone. It should be prioritized for Tesla. Look at the EA they have one charger than we can use with adapter. Tesla should do the same make one or two stalls for other brands and call it a done deal just like EA.

If you're using public funds it should be fair to the public. EA was required to install public plugs that doesn't prioritize any one manufacturer. Tesla has a proprietary plug that can't be used by anyone else so it didn't qualify for EA construction.

The short bed is what I need, the lightning is to long.
And here I am upset that the Ford will only have a 5.5 bed and not 6.75 like my current ford.
Then they are breaking the law. This is pretty widely known. (EDIT: Reading the article, sounds like existing chargers have a decade or so to get into compliance)

I'm not sure how Tesla gets around not having a display on Superchargers (maybe because you see it on the dash?) but you definitely cannot charge per minute for EV charging.

You obviously didn't read your own article, perhaps you should start there.

Model X is also an SUV without an open bed or traditional styling.

I actually bought a model S to daily instead of my f250

Elon won't have a choice if he wants to take advantage of the billions in government funding.

Go look at the payload sticker of any old regular F150 on the lot, 1600 is about normal. Some have as low as 1,000.

First customer ones rolled off the lot this week so delivers should be in the next week or two.

My Tesla isn't even close to done charging after 30 minutes. When Tesla decided to launch charge-gate they shot themsleves in the foot with clogging up their own chargers.

If you're using public funds it should be fair to the public. EA was required to install public plugs that doesn't prioritize any one manufacturer. Tesla has a proprietary plug that can't be used by anyone else so it didn't qualify for EA construction.

And here I am upset that the Ford will only have a 5.5 bed and not 6.75 like my current ford.

You obviously didn't read your own article, perhaps you should start there.
Not sure I get your point on S vs F250. What you did didn’t sound like cross shopping. You just replaced one with another. Pretty sure you are a unicorn if you say you where looking for a new vehicle and where cross shopping an F250 vs a model S (or any ev other than Cybertrxuk at this point)

Out of Spec Motoring ran a 70mph highway test and the R1T got just under 300miles of range. By my calculations, the truck averaged 429wh/mi (124kWh to go 289miles), which means its not an efficiency leader, but I'll reserve judgment when I see what the Ford F150 Lightning and Cybertruck put out.

This isn't bad.

I think they should run the same test though with some of the common accessories on the truck. Also with the off-road tires. Rivian says they should affect range by 10%, but it would be good to see the actual range with a few of the typical configurations.

My Model Y with 2 bikes on a bike rack on the back takes a massive hit for example. I'm sure the Rivian with that giant RTT on the top would get crushed.

Just so people can get a realistic idea of how big the range impact is going to be for having certain accessories. The impact of the bikes on my MY was a lot bigger than I expected, the Rivian is pictured with a lot of these things in advertising. Even more interesting would be having similar numbers for the various trucks.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Out of Spec Motoring ran a 70mph highway test and the R1T got just under 300miles of range. By my calculations, the truck averaged 429wh/mi (124kWh to go 289miles), which means its not an efficiency leader, but I'll reserve judgment when I see what the Ford F150 Lightning and Cybertruck put out.

The R1T overcomes poor efficiency with a huge battery pack. I doubt my Model Y LR would get 289 miles cruising at 70mph even though it is a more efficient vehicle.

Reactions: Ogre

Real world tests are where its at with wheels/tires people actually want on the vehicle.

I have a 2018 P3D w/20" wheels with a rated range of 310 miles, and last weekend I tried coming home with it charged to 95%. I figured I could make it, but it would tell me things like "drive under 65mph to make it to destination" and the trip planner was around 3%.

Tesla is so optimistic with their numbers that unless you have the exact tires/wheels, wind, speed, and ambient temperature that it was tested at you won't reach rated range with a 2018 P3D.

My biggest single drive with my P3D was 190 miles or so in the summer with charging to 100%, and going between my house and destination charging.

So I'd say the real world range from 100% to 10% is likely around 240 miles.

240 miles is 80% of 300 so I can't see having much issue going 190 miles without having to charge to 100%, going slow, or having to switch from AT tires to street tires.

With my Tesla I'd have to switch to 18" wheels to be able to easily pull off 190 miles with using only 80% of the battery energy.

Was seriously considering adding off road tires and a small lift to my Model Y. I’m pretty happy with it’s freeway handling through so a bit hesitant.

Also the impact on range was a big concern.

Rivian said it would be 10-15 percent hit with off road tires. With 289 miles from Kyle, looks like Rivian is not copying Tesla on rating miles then. And he is doing it in Colorado cold weather.

Model Y cannot even get 289 at 70mph on OEM tires in CA weather. So I am guessing... 240 miles at 70 mph? But who knows without real data point.

Reactions: Horty4

Wow! Now that’s impressive… considering the aero shape of the Cybertruck (and hopefully battery chem superiority), the Cybertruck will do the same at around ~400-425. Knowing Elon, he will weigh it down if it’s too much under 420.

I have seen about 7-10 Rivian trucks in pasadena area and they all look worth the price tag. Beautiful.

Reactions: Horty4
The scary stupid thing would be current reservation and future owners get current spec Rivian... to find out they will not get 800 volt system, bi-directional charging, and heat pump that RJ talked about 2 weeks ago.

With current 70k-ish reservations, that would be shipped in 3 years?

I can see those new features be ready in 3 years. Ouch.

The scary stupid thing would be current reservation and future owners get current spec Rivian... to find out they will not get 800 volt system, bi-directional charging, and heat pump that RJ talked about 2 weeks ago.

With current 70k-ish reservations, that would be shipped in 3 years?

I can see those new features be ready in 3 years. Ouch.
Price is the reason I will continue to hold and ultimately buy the rivian.

Lovely truck but not impressed with efficiency, charging network coverage and we can’t get it anytime soon. Also 95k puts it out of reach for me.

The on road range is great, but yeah it's poor efficiency means it needs a huge battery to get that range, and unfortunately this negatively impacts the charging speed in a large way. All the tests I've seen so far show it charges decent up to 50% and then the charge curve drops off a cliff. Charging the truck up to 80% is slooowwwwww.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ogre and WhiteWi
Lovely truck but not impressed with efficiency, charging network coverage and we can’t get it anytime soon. Also 95k puts it out of reach for me.
Well, considering this is a truck, I'm not expecting a high level of efficiency, but it's certainly miles above what's out there on the roads currently. So far as the charging network, it's open but dependent upon both large and small providers to step up to the plate, which I think will happen soon enough. Lastly, it's essentially the first truck out there. Tesla, Ford and company don't have anything other than speculation thus far. Don't forget that Rivian is planning on producing a cheaper model with 2 motors as well.

Reactions: Horty4 and Ogre