Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian price increased massively - $15,500. Cancelled, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like I will be lucky to get my R1T next year. Very jealous that you will get one in a couple of months.
On the plus side, it sounds like this massive price increase has led to many reservation holders nixing their orders, despite the fact that they reversed the hike for current orders. Looks like some of us will be getting ours even sooner now lol.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
On the plus side, it sounds like this massive price increase has led to many reservation holders nixing their orders, despite the fact that they reversed the hike for current orders. Looks like some of us will be getting ours even sooner now lol.
Unfortunately, you may be waiting awhile. They just lowered their delivery expectations to 25k vehicles this year (down from 40k+... I forget the exact number). It seems all new EV entrants (and autos generally) are really struggling with supply chain challenges.

Unfortunately, you may be waiting awhile. They just lowered their delivery expectations to 25k vehicles this year (down from 40k+... I forget the exact number). It seems all new EV entrants (and autos generally) are really struggling with supply chain challenges.

Tesla's first yearly steady state manufacturing target for their first mass market vehicle (Model S) was 20,000 vehicles. Funny how Rivian's is turning out to be about the same. Funny as in, completely predictable. Meanwhile Tesla will make about 1.5M vehicles this year. Tell me again how any other EV is going to impact Tesla ... at all?

Reactions: KJD
That's great actually - taking delivery of my MYP tomorrow, I'll get to keep her longer than expected!

I just got the same note for my reservation. $79k R1T is now about $95. That is total BS. Tesla does it right when they have price increases, orders are protected.
Well...as I recall, when Tesla was as young as Rivian is now, they increased the prices on Roadsters that were already ordered. Tesla basically apologized but claimed they couldn't sell them for less than it was costing them to make at the time.

Well...as I recall, when Tesla was as young as Rivian is now, they increased the prices on Roadsters that were already ordered. Tesla basically apologized but claimed they couldn't sell them for less than it was costing them to make at the time.
This is absolutely correct. Roadster reservation holders were beyond furious.

And we’ll see what they do with the Cybertruck. No way those prices are being honored.

Reactions: tm1v2
This is absolutely correct. Roadster reservation holders were beyond furious.

And we’ll see what they do with the Cybertruck. No way those prices are being honored.
Yep, and it was absolutely the right call at the time for a struggling capital starved company. I still think Rivian made a mistake by not sticking with their price increase.

With Ford stepping out with a loss and the stock tanking to 23 that was my jump in point. Hears hoping long term they keep production flowing. Having been to the plant several times they certainly have the system down and the commitment. Rather impressive actually.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Ford still made money overall on their initial investment though. Amazon is also up. They just lost money on paper because they had already claimed profits from when the stock was high.

It's good that it sounds like the manufacturing side is coming along. However, I have also heard from engineering friends (who have connections to the R&D side) that the management is somewhat disorganized at Rivian. This night mean that improvements and bug fixes might be slow coming from Rivian.

With Ford stepping out with a loss and the stock tanking to 23 that was my jump in point. Hears hoping long term they keep production flowing. Having been to the plant several times they certainly have the system down and the commitment. Rather impressive actually.
Good luck to you. You will either be a zero or a hero. I think they are in trouble honestly but who knows. You could end up being a genius.

? Not following your logic. By your own understanding Tesla did the exact same thing (for presumably same reason) so how is this different again?
I think the main difference is that Tesla was still selling the base Roadster at the original price, but they raised the price of options. (And also made some upgrades that were included paid options.)