Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian price increased massively - $15,500. Cancelled, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My R1S config went from $77K to $95K. While I am not going to cancel for now, I am back to looking around and seeing what is around next to replace our X. Because of the way this was handled, I have no assurance that the price will not further increase between now and when I get the vehicle.

One of the things that about the old price points is that they factored in the risk of Rivian -- unknown build quality, unknown durability of battery and drive train, no service and support network. If I am now looking at a $100K SUV, I am going to go back and re-evaluate that risk vs other options.

Reactions: JBT66 and Cosmacelf
I don't have a ton to add here - never placed a reservation and not an RIVN shareholder, but was certainly interested in Rivian's success and thought they had a cool truck. In terms of the comparable truck argument, I think the TSLA mentality of making a vehicle better than its gas equivalent at the same or lower price point is a key factor for me. Yes - there's no other comparable electric truck, but there's no shortage of gas equivalent trucks in the $50k+ range that offer a ton of functionality. An increase of this magnitude for all but a few early reservation holders is a move that sours me on the company. While some folks can justify this - I think its a bad business practice, but I'm sure Rivian knows that and it boils down to supply and demand economics, akin to what traditional car dealers are doing.

We have a cybertruck reservation solely because we could use the bed space (gardening, woodworking, etc). I understand TSLA will raise prices, but if the $50k Cybertruck becomes $65k, we'll likely stick with our Y. At the end of the day, if this becomes the new business practice by all auto companies (float a price and take a deposit), they might as well just remove the price or withhold configurations so customers don't have a belief their price is locked for being an early adopter.

So I went back into my Rivian reservation and they had changed my configuration to quad motors and max pack. Not sure why, I’m not going to go on trips or tow anything so I got the least expensive R1T. I went back in and changed it back to my original configuration and the price is the same and before the price increase. Still disappointed at Rivian for doing something so stupid, I have lost confidence in them going forward.

I took a chance and pre-ordered one last year. The truck is very intriguing to me. I’m not happy about the price increase but I probably won’t cancelled my order just yet. I also have a preorder on the Cybertruck so I will see what the final pricing looks like before I make a decision. I’m really bummed for the early reservation holders.

Not long after i ordered a Model X (Nov 2020) I got a call that the refresh is $10,000 more, but they'll give me 2,000 credit (so net of 8,000 increase). That's great, so if I ever get my X, I'll be happy. My point is....don't bet on the Cyber Truck staying at $50 or 60,000. Look at what the X price has done since January 2021. Gone up another $15,000. Supply chain costs, transportation costs (look at fuel prices). Costs are going up. I'm not surprised at $15,000 increase on a Rivian. I actually expected it. If the build quality is good, I like it better than CyberTruck.

My Rivian R1S went from $81K to $97K yesterday. As expected, a TON of people are upset, confused, angry, etc. According to Reddit/Rivian forums, the cancellation rate is ~50%. Of course that's not the entire population, but that's significant.

I can understand how that will price many people out.

On the other hand, I'm going to keep my reservation. There is no other comparable vehicle out there for the price. Everything is significantly more.

- Model X: More $, can't go off road.
- RR SVR, BMW X5M (I have one), G63, etc: All more $ and only the G63 can go off-road. The others have brakes which are too big for off-roady tires.
- I love the sport wagons (Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo): Also much more $

I understand $100K is an expensive vehicle and I don't need to say that here since many here have similarly priced Teslas. But I can't think of another solution out there.

I intended to cancel my Tesla Model S Long Range for the Rivian. But I'm going to take delivery and when the Rivian finally delivers, I'll sell the Tesla. I got it before the price increase and there are other factors which make be believe I'll probably make a profit. Worst case I'll break even.

Reactions: Ralbright
The BMW IX is now a much more attractive option at least in Canada where its priced well. My ideal configuration tops out at $111K CAD for the 50i, whereas the Rivian R1S I had preordered is now $125K CAD. At that price gulf, I can forgo the extra space/ground clearance/speed

And just like that, Rivian back tracks on pricing. Hope all of those that flaked get bumped to the back in the que!
They won't get bumped back, because literally nobody would restore their preorder if that was the case. "If you canceled your preorder on or after March 1 and would like to reinstate it, we will restore your original configuration, pricing and delivery timing."

Reactions: Ralbright
1646319032334.png

This is all very interesting to me. As someone who camps and enjoys outdoor activities with my family the Rivian R1S was always more interesting to me than the Model X. Comparing dual motor to dual motor I’d come out ahead with the Rivian (all else being equal which with the supercharger network and other factors we know isn’t the case). I’m not in the market now so I can sit out and see how this all shakes out but I do wish Rivian well even though this was an I’ll conceived move on their part. Tesla seems to have the price increases down, incremental over time.

Reactions: TrevTremaine