Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian price increased massively - $15,500. Cancelled, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Half the early reservations will be sold for $$$. It makes no sense to give up your spot in line. If the $1000 was so important to you to have back in your checking account, why even look at Rivians?
you think so? I dunno... I'm assuming that given the demographics of someone who'd afford and buy rivian could care less about selling their spot for $$$. They just want their $1k refund back and not deal with the mess. It's more of the principal of the matter.
It's like someone who drives a G-wagon clipping super market coupons, I'm sure there are some, but not so many...

Already cancelled, but will be taking them up on their offer to 'cancel my cancellation'.

Good on them. I was expecting something, but more along the lines of keeping the same price and getting dual motor instead of quad. I'm not so sure I would have kept my order even then, but I will absolutely be keeping it if they do in fact stick to their word and restore my order!

Couldn't they completely stop the selling of a reservation? (I would if I were them, I would lock the name/email/address/etc. on them.)
I'm sure they'll stop selling reservations. It makes zero sense to me that they won't. The only scenario under which I would see that being an issue is if they had a non-refundable reservation fee that initially permitted transfers - at that point you need to either permit them or return the fee. Seeing as Rivian's fee is in fact already refundable, I don't see the issue.

I've seen reports of this, that the response in the Rivian forums was overwhelmingly negative. For people bringing comparisons with Tesla, Tesla had a long history of cancelling base versions of cars, so by now most people expect it. In the start, Tesla also used software locked cars to deal with base orders (remember the 40 kWh Model S?)

Rivian however is dealing with all new customers with no previous history, so most people will feel a sense of betrayal. I can see people that can still afford it, cancel just on principle. This can kill the impression of a lot of potential customers at a critical juncture in their company's life.

It seems Rivian has walked back their position after huge negative response (as well as from the stock market):

I've seen reports of this, that the response in the Rivian forums was overwhelmingly negative. For people bringing comparisons with Tesla, Tesla had a long history of cancelling base versions of cars, so by now most people expect it. In the start, Tesla also used software locked cars to deal with base orders (remember the 40 kWh Model S?)

Rivian however is dealing with all new customers with no previous history, so most people will feel a sense of betrayal. I can see people that can still afford it, cancel just on principle. This can kill the impression of a lot of potential customers at a critical juncture in their company's life.

It seems Rivian has walked back their position after huge negative response (as well as from the stock market):
Yup, they got my order back. I wonder how many orders that applies to.

This is all very interesting to me. As someone who camps and enjoys outdoor activities with my family the Rivian R1S was always more interesting to me than the Model X. Comparing dual motor to dual motor I’d come out ahead with the Rivian (all else being equal which with the supercharger network and other factors we know isn’t the case). I’m not in the market now so I can sit out and see how this all shakes out but I do wish Rivian well even though this was an I’ll conceived move on their part. Tesla seems to have the price increases down, incremental over time.
Spot on. I've got a Model X on order and looking at a 19 month to delivery timeframe. Even with the price increase, it was still cheaper for the R1T with the max pack than the Model X LR, but thankfully the pricing is reverting for the Rivians. Much like you, I want to enjoy the outdoors, dragging gear with me and the truck is fitting the bill nicely. I don't feel like it's a compromise as much as the X simply because with only the 6 seater forthcoming, the middle row doesn't fold down, I can't realistically carry bikes on the hitch with 120 pound limit - it's making me side more to the Rivian. Gear Guard and the Gear Tunnel are bonuses along with the crossbar rail design. Cybertruck doesn't really interest me - again, with the way it's designed, I see compromises in doing even the simplest of things. Since I've got months until anything is supposed to even come my way, I can sit back and watch to see how each company handles the next few months. I hope both survive, if not grow abounds.

I know this pandemic has caused a lot of grief with supply chains, but the communication updates from both parties need to really be fixed.

you think so? I dunno... I'm assuming that given the demographics of someone who'd afford and buy rivian could care less about selling their spot for $$$.

You might think that, but the number of people attempting to sell Model S plaid and Model X reservations, even just here on this site, would say thats not accurate. I certainly hope rivian prevents these transfers, and hope tesla does too, sometime soon.

8 million excuses people give for this, like this one:

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.11.45 PM.png

"I bought 3 reservations for my family members in anticipation they would buy them". Yeah, because your family members are people who can afford 100k Model Xs but somehow are not capable of making a car reservation themselves?

Heh.

Reactions: tm1v2
Rivian has relented and now will honor the original reservation price for anyone who ordered before March 1 2022. They are also going to honor that price for any of those that cancelled their orders as a result of this price increase, so if anyone in this thread got outraged and cancelled, if you still want your place in line at the original price, go get your place back in line!

What if you didn't cancel, but modified your order to get (relatively) lower-priced options. But you are still paying more for less. Can you revert to your original order?
You can't because the lower priced configs are years away. They need to reap maximum profit per vehicle by concentrating on the high end. Similar to what Tesla did. After a few years, then will slowly transition to profit through volume.

What if you didn't cancel, but modified your order to get (relatively) lower-priced options. But you are still paying more for less. Can you revert to your original order?
As of right now they don't have the process communicated yet to reinstate cancelled orders, so I'm pretty sure they also don't have a process for reverting an order configuration. I chatted with them yesterday and was told to watch for an email to un-cancel my order.

Rivian has relented and now will honor the original reservation price for anyone who ordered before March 1 2022. They are also going to honor that price for any of those that cancelled their orders as a result of this price increase, so if anyone in this thread got outraged and cancelled, if you still want your place in line at the original price, go get your place back in line!
I'd be curious for those getting back in line to answer whether they actually want the truck after all this or just see a flipping opportunity? Both are gambles to me - Rivian has signaled the meaningful increase in expense to produce vehicles which will make attracting future buyers of $70k+ vehicles challenging. I also wonder what the actual take rate is on those trying to flip Model S and Xs (the $75-150k range cars).

Separately, if this means a TSLA like ramp up pace, it will be another 5 years before we see vehicles close to $50k that more folks can afford. Still wishing Rivian all the best, but this still makes me wonder what their profit margins will be on the updated price vehicles and if all the bad news (i.e. price increases) are baked in for the next 12-24 months.

As of right now they don't have the process communicated yet to reinstate cancelled orders, so I'm pretty sure they also don't have a process for reverting an order configuration. I chatted with them yesterday and was told to watch for an email to un-cancel my order.
I did the same (changed my config slightly, 5 min before I got the email..ugh). But I just changed it back to exactly what it was before March 1 and got on chat with support…they said it should not be an issue and my original config will be priced as original ordered. So hoping to see that pan out in a couple of days. If not, I am sure they will correct it via support.