Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Reviews (Articles, Writeups, Videos) on Rivian Forums Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: glide
For a first car, it sure seems like a very polished offering. Compare it to a 2012 S, it's heads and shoulders better (as it should be). Once they offer the bigger battery pack and 400 miles of range, it'll become a pretty compelling truck, though the price will be a bit high. At any rate, any new good EV is a win for us all in my book.

Saw some interviews of some early reservation holders get to test drive during the first customer demo day. They indicated the paint and finish is very good ... Unlike some unnamed company.

One even got to talk to Rivian engineer responsible for paints. He responded to a Florida customer that he is certain to survive Florida sun. He claimed Rivian had done paint testing to know for sure.

Hope Rivian has done an uber quality and customer service. I am eyeing them already. I might be jumping ship.

For a first car, it sure seems like a very polished offering. Compare it to a 2012 S, it's heads and shoulders better (as it should be). Once they offer the bigger battery pack and 400 miles of range, it'll become a pretty compelling truck, though the price will be a bit high. At any rate, any new good EV is a win for us all in my book.
It should be. There are a lot of Tesla ppl involved, actually in both Rivian and Lucid. They're not following the legacy auto path, that's for sure. From what I heard they'll release lower motor versions down to a single motor for much less cost.

Last edited:
Seems like the only folks getting vehicles are employees right now. I’d like to hear actual prices. Their configurator doesn’t give you an estimate of when you might get a car. Juse the they expect to start deliveries in Jan. So much for production starting in sept. I really like the reviews but question unbiasness. Here’s a pretty good forum.

The First Edition has been sold out. Delivery is supposed to start any day now. Some of the YouTubers said they have November delivery date.

What you are seeing are new order like Tesla. They said none First Edition starts delivering in January. Wonder how many first edition were so.

I have a CT reservation, but I'm very interested in the Rivian after watching several of the "hands on" RT1 Colorado trail testing videos. I am very impressed by the features and quality of the RT1. Also, it seems like there's an actual chance of getting delivery in the next 6 months or so vs. the CT who's delivery date is as hard to pin down as that whack-a-mole critter at the local arcade ;)

Doesnt sound like they are delivering any until January and they have quite a backlog

I doubt if you order now you'd get one before a CT but you might

I don't know. If you order both right now, I doubt you will see your CT before 2025.

Rivian already making production trucks now. And planning on a 2nd plant. Assuming they even have 30k pre-orders, at least they are working off that list.

Tesla have not even finish their assembly plant for CT production. Which they claim to start limited delivery at end of 2022. Plus another 1mil pre-orders. Think you get a CT soon if you order now?

Dont know about that but I was replying to someone with a CT reservation.

And without a Rivian one.

Rivian plan what 20k in year 1?
Apparently they have 40K pre orders and plan on delivering all of them over the next 15 months. My guess is that all the great press they've been getting should be leading to a bunch more preorders and that their backlog is gonna grow quickly. At this point, if one hasn't already preordered a Rivian, CT or F150, there's no getting a new EV truck until 2023 at the earliest (Rivian) or 2024 (Ford, Tesla).

I really like what Rivian is offering. Great performance, looks great and seems really tailored for the average week-end warrior. The 2 downsides I see (from my standpoint): pricey and it will be a while before they get a decent ADAS. Tesla, which has vastly more resources, has been working on it for 4-5 years, and is still perfecting it. Frankly, best outcome would be for Rivian for license Tesla autopilot SW, though that's really unlikely. I use autopilot constantly when commuting (at least when I used to...) and driving long distance.