Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian RT1 Pricing Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

raptor5244

May 10, 2019
Florida
I was checking out the Rivian RT1 pricing. These trucks basically start at $70k. I added a few options on the 2nd build and I am at $87k. 🤔 o_O You can also add a pull out barbecue grill for $5k. These are some pricey trucks. I guess you call these luxury/adventure trucks?

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.06.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.08.22 PM.png

That's not a thing yet.
no, it's been a thing.

The Rivian, for 80ish or so after tax credit, makes a compelling argument, and from the videos I've watched of it, looks like a solid truck. I plan to drive all the vehicles in this group (pickups that meet my needs) though before picking one. Hopefully that's around 2022/23.

That trip looks hella fun.

Last edited:
no, it's been a thing.

The Rivian, for 80ish or so after tax credit, makes a compelling argument, and from the videos I've watched of it, looks like a solid truck. I plan to drive all the vehicles in this group (pickups that meet my needs) though before picking one. Hopefully that's around 2022/23.

Oh, I see you're right. They're just hoping to re-up with BBB.

no, it's been a thing.

I am wondering. If the new law passes, is it revoking the prior law?

If it does, then there will be a lot of Rivians which no longer qualify for the incentive since the cap on truck pricing is $80,000.

If it doesn’t, it puts Rivian and Ford in an interesting place where they get to continue selling trucks over $80,000 and continue getting the old rebate (until they hit their 200k cap) while Tesla and GM are capped at $80k.

Either way, it’s a bit of a weird situation.

Usually they don't bother to rewrite laws that self expire.

So, if I had to guess, a Rivian of any price will qualify for the $7500 tax credit, until they sell the number (200k?) to drop it $3500(?) and $1250(?).

A Rivian of up to $80k, would (again, I'm guessing here) qualify for the $7500+$2500(?) of an American Made Truck.

It's been a while, and I'm not following the new law until it's finalized, because it changes every 20 seconds.

It's the US Government, if it doesn't make sense or make it easy, it's intentional. Just check the tax code.

Cash off at point of sale would have been my preferred method all along.

But yeah, It's going to be weird for a while. Until there is a true 'equivalent' to the super charger network, it's hard to leave Tesla, but every interaction with service makes it a lil bit easier.

Literally in the text of the bill it says the previous tax credit will end.

Read the bill before commenting.
I’ve waded through it and didn’t see that part, but had heard that might be the case.

Imagine being an R1T pre-order customer and having their delays push delivery into 2022 where there is suddenly an $80k cap on eligibility for the incentive. I can see a lot of people scrambling to get their pre-order under that cap. Ditching a set of $3500 wheels might save you $11,000.

I suspect Rivian management is praying the incentive sinks, they can certainly use that $7500 pricing advantage.

I wonder if it's 400 miles or 400 "tesla miles". which are more like 250.
Ford tested the pickup range with 1,000lbs in the bed.

I'd really like to see a better range test across all new cars.
The range is indeed 400 miles when used with aero wheels with low roll resistance tires inflated to 90psi, drive mode set to Chill Mode, 80 degree temps while rolling down hills with max regen configured. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I wonder if it's 400 miles or 400 "tesla miles". which are more like 250.
Ford tested the pickup range with 1,000lbs in the bed.

I'd really like to see a better range test across all new cars.
Dear god Ford has gotten a million free miles out of that one goofy range reading.

How about before we gift Ford with 150 free miles of range we wait until someone has actually gotten… 400 miles on a charge first?

Also. Not sure how you are driving, but the only time I lose anything close to 35% of my range in my Tesla is if I have 3 bikes on the back.

Dear god Ford has gotten a million free miles out of that one goofy range reading.

How about before we gift Ford with 150 free miles of range we wait until someone has actually gotten… 400 miles on a charge first?

Also. Not sure how you are driving, but the only time I lose anything close to 35% of my range in my Tesla is if I have 3 bikes on the back.
Swiftly. :p

Last edited:
The range is indeed 400 miles when used with aero wheels with low roll resistance tires inflated to 90psi, drive mode set to Chill Mode, 80 degree temps while rolling down hills with max regen configured. ;)

The sad part is, that's almost accurate... but you forgot windows up, No A/C, and a strong tailwind. :p

With 1,000,000 cars and billions of miles, you'd think they'd have the data to get more accurate numbers. But accuracy doesn't sell.

Range isn't a huge deal for cars that can use the Super Charger network. For the Rivian, for me to spend money on it... it would need some more chargers, and I'd like to see some real world towing of 10k with it, and the impact on range. I do like the SUV more than the pickup, but I'm unclear on why it's towing capacity is so much less :(. The body of it can't weigh that much more..? so why the towing capacity loss?

Watched Doug's latest videos of the Rivian, and daddy likey! (So much so I bought some stock).

Of course, so much of it is mental. I charge at home 99.9% of the time, but I know my Tesla can take me to FL or CA, and I can leave now if I want... and that's... worth something. So I mean, if I had the Rivian, I could just borrow the wife's car lol.

But before I give up my Model X, I need to drive all options... Rivian, CyberTruck, Ford, new Model S/X... and I think that's my 'short' list for 2022/23. Also interested in what the new tax credits/rebates/overly complex government crap, but maybe some money, turns out to be.

In any case; I'd go for the "400 mile" Rivian for 10k more. At least until the charging network is more built out. Also I plan to tow 10k for about 200 mile trips, so... can it do that? Won't know until we get some owners towing with them! I'm just ecstatic to see some real competition against gas pickups. Seeing this thing off road will really change some minds. Ohh, then 0-60 faster than... well.. almost anything... I'd say where do I sign up, but I need just a little more hands on before I fork over the cash for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: tren01t