Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian RT1 Pricing Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new pricing seems kinda high, but we don't know the 'new' pricing the cyber truck

Config'd the way I want the Rivian is $100k. That's... a lot of Ks.
Biggest battery, quad motor, black, off road tires.

Says it tows 11k. I thought before it was 10k?

Would love a real world test. I need to haul 10,500lbs 90 miles, then about 2,400lbs another 90ish, same day, without charging.
that's my use case to replace my Model X. I only need to do this 2x a year though, so today I just rent a 3500 or 2500 pickup for the day.
But I would like a pickup for other projects.

the good news is 2023/24 will bring a lot of test drives to the market place! Exciting time.
Tesla CyberTruck
Ford Lightning (Can't tow enough for me).?
Chevy Silverado (Looks good, can't tow enough?)
RAM - unknown specs
Rivian - looks good, might tow enough. Expensive.

Other makes (ford, Lucid, rivian) have set the bar for a POWER FRUNK. Wtf tesla? don't you see that and think ... maybe we can do that?

Ohh ! almost forgot the HUMMER. I sat in one at the Miami boat show! was very cool. I was a bit disappointed at the plastic panel roof. I know it's removable, and that's awesome because I miss my wrangler a lot, and would get one just for that if I didn't hate GM, but on a $100K+ car the roof is plastic?

For 100k for a HUMMER or same price for a rivian at 1/2 the size... being ya know. 'murica, I'm gonna have to buy the HUMMER. lol

For 100k for a HUMMER or same price for a rivian at 1/2 the size... being ya know. 'murica, I'm gonna have to buy the HUMMER. lol
Hmm.

Not talking up the Rivian here, but the beds are about the same size. Cargo and towing capacity on the Rivian is *higher* In spite of it being smaller. Charges faster, … there is really zero practical reason to buy the Hummer. Worst EV ever.

The new pricing seems kinda high, but we don't know the 'new' pricing the cyber truck

Config'd the way I want the Rivian is $100k. That's... a lot of Ks.
Biggest battery, quad motor, black, off road tires.

Says it tows 11k. I thought before it was 10k?

Would love a real world test. I need to haul 10,500lbs 90 miles, then about 2,400lbs another 90ish, same day, without charging.
that's my use case to replace my Model X. I only need to do this 2x a year though, so today I just rent a 3500 or 2500 pickup for the day.
But I would like a pickup for other projects.

the good news is 2023/24 will bring a lot of test drives to the market place! Exciting time.
Tesla CyberTruck
Ford Lightning (Can't tow enough for me).?
Chevy Silverado (Looks good, can't tow enough?)
RAM - unknown specs
Rivian - looks good, might tow enough. Expensive.

Other makes (ford, Lucid, rivian) have set the bar for a POWER FRUNK. Wtf tesla? don't you see that and think ... maybe we can do that?

Ohh ! almost forgot the HUMMER. I sat in one at the Miami boat show! was very cool. I was a bit disappointed at the plastic panel roof. I know it's removable, and that's awesome because I miss my wrangler a lot, and would get one just for that if I didn't hate GM, but on a $100K+ car the roof is plastic?

It always towed 11k for as long as I’ve had mine reserved.. kinda ticked they jacked the price up 12k on me tho haha.. makes me think how silly all the cybertruck people are they think they’re getting it for anywhere near the initial pricing.. still hoping my cyber truck comes first but if the rivian does I’ll just sell the rivian once the cyber truck arrives

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
Yeah, i'm not a GM fan, but Hummer is crazy...
Hummer only tows 7500, so it's out of the running for me it seems.

I agree, you could order almost any new pickup EV, and if you don't like it, flip it for what you paid, or even more at this point. Luckily for me, a buddy has a lower Res# on his CyberTruck than I do, so maybe he lets me borrow it for a weekend if I lend him my X.

Reactions: Ogre
Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 1.14.44 PM.png

Inflation is a cop out.

We haven’t seen 20% inflation in the 6 months between the media blitz over the summer and now. Or in the ~2 months since the IPO. They had plenty of opportunity to redial expectations over the past 18 months as they were watching this go down.

That comment from Elon is hilarious. He is such a hypocritical bastard. He forgets that some of us are still around from the Roadster days when Tesla pulled this exact move - literally telling Roadster deposit holders that if they didn't pay more then Tesla would go bankrupt. They did and so here we are.

Apparently the party drugs have erased those days from Elon's brain.

What happened to encouraging more EV companies to ensure a transition to sustainable transportation? Guess that's been shoved down the memory hole too.....

That comment from Elon is hilarious. He is such a hypocritical bastard. He forgets that some of us are still around from the Roadster days when Tesla pulled this exact move - literally telling Roadster deposit holders that if they didn't pay more then Tesla would go bankrupt. They did and so here we are.

Apparently the party drugs have erased those days from Elon's brain.

What happened to encouraging more EV companies to ensure a transition to sustainable transportation? Guess that's been shoved down the memory hole too.....

That’s not entirely true or fair to Musk.

1646326262578.png

I also don’t think Musk’s comments about Rivian’s price increase were particularly harsh. He mentioned how difficult it would be to produce the truck in one. And in the other he mentioned how it’s likely they will have significant negative margins. Both comments pretty clearly true, otherwise Rivian wouldn’t be struggling so much with this and this price increase (now reversed) wouldn’t have been needed.

I’d also like to point out how much more frank and honest Musk’s personal email was than the corporate speak email Rivian sent out. If Rivian has sent something like that out instead of their generic marketing nonsense, it might have been received a bit better.

Also… if Rivian had followed Musk’s playbook and only increased the cost of optional features it would have played a lot better.

Rivian, as we have found out, loses $14K-18K per car. Amazon will not pump billions into this forever as they have their own problems now.

They better make a buck on their trucks pronto or it will not matter if people like them or not.

Yeah, i'm not a GM fan, but Hummer is crazy...
Hummer only tows 7500, so it's out of the running for me it seems.

I agree, you could order almost any new pickup EV, and if you don't like it, flip it for what you paid, or even more at this point. Luckily for me, a buddy has a lower Res# on his CyberTruck than I do, so maybe he lets me borrow it for a weekend if I lend him my X.

To be fair, the Hummer is already towing like 8000 (itself) and then another 7500 on top of it ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl