Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Rivian Vans Hit the Road for Amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Amazon’s Rivian-built vans are officially making deliveries.

Amazon released a video overview of the new vans, pointing out that the vehicle went from sketch to deliveries in just a year. Amazon has ordered 100,000 vans from Rivian.

Amazon previously released a list of the van’s features:

State-of-the-art sensor detection, a suite of highway and traffic assist technology, and a large windshield to enhance driver visibility.Exterior cameras around the vehicle that are linked to a digital display inside the cabin, giving the driver a 360-degree view outside the vehicle.Alexa integration for hands-free access to route information and the latest weather updates.A strengthened door on the driver’s side for additional protection.A “dancefloor” inside the driver’s cabin for easy movement inside the van.Bright tail lights surrounding the rear of the vehicle to easily detect braking.Three levels of shelving with a bulkhead door, which can easily be opened and closed for additional driver protection while on the road.

Rivian is set to start production this year on its all-electric R1T pickup and R1S sport utility vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this concept, but the sound it emits is awful.

It’s for marketing. Every time you hear it you’ll think “Amazon”. It’ll end up being a fad that catches on. UPS and FedEx trucks will emit their own jingles. In ten years, some congresscritter will support legislation called “The Neighborhood Peace and Quiet Act” which outlaws it. But it’ll die due to campaign cash donations from the delivery companies. A counter movement will start. People will start blasting some god awful sound as a protest. Instead of ring tones you’ll have car tones. It’ll all end in tears.

Amazon has not pressed these into delivery service as much as into testing service. They will try them under different circumstances and routes to see where they will fit in.

Secondarily they will be getting data from them that will probably lead to future improvements. Things will fail and be improved, other areas will shine and be embraced.

The day will soon come that most all Urban deliveries will be EV. People hate the noise, smell and pollution from ICE commercial vehicles.
There is a reason all ICE vehicles exhaust comes out behind them. They do not want to breath their own exhausts. Let the guy driving behind deal with it :(

I called out on Twitter that Rivian seems to get a pretty big pass on production timelines, where Tesla seems to get hammered for missed dates. A bunch of people responded saying that Rivia was roughly on target if you factor in a small COVID delay. I don't recall but my gut says that they are further behind than a little bit.

Nonetheless, looks like a good product and I am very excited to see them come out. There is much market share to be gained and a rising tide floats all boats. The more credible competitors, the more Tesla will be forced to up their game.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Amazon has not pressed these into delivery service as much as into testing service. They will try them under different circumstances and routes to see where they will fit in.

Secondarily they will be getting data from them that will probably lead to future improvements. Things will fail and be improved, other areas will shine and be embraced.

The day will soon come that most all Urban deliveries will be EV. People hate the noise, smell and pollution from ICE commercial vehicles.
There is a reason all ICE vehicles exhaust comes out behind them. They do not want to breath their own exhausts. Let the guy driving behind deal with it :(

The transition is already happening.

The new EU rules started 2021 for vans, so this was the target that 2020 was for cars, with newer vehicles providing increased range that the compliance vans of the 2010s didn't have. It'll bleed into the USA.

I called out on Twitter that Rivian seems to get a pretty big pass on production timelines, where Tesla seems to get hammered for missed dates. A bunch of people responded saying that Rivia was roughly on target if you factor in a small COVID delay. I don't recall but my gut says that they are further behind than a little bit.

Nonetheless, looks like a good product and I am very excited to see them come out. There is much market share to be gained and a rising tide floats all boats. The more credible competitors, the more Tesla will be forced to up their game.

Tesla made their 500,000 target even with Covid. Rivian has had, so far, one year of delay, if they hit their August delivery timeframe for the R1T.