Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you seen the SUV…bad ass but over 100k for the long range

Attachments

• AEFD633A-5C66-4A84-896F-CAF8A5FADCD0.jpeg
    AEFD633A-5C66-4A84-896F-CAF8A5FADCD0.jpeg
    885.5 KB · Views: 123
Because the batteries are vastly different sizes (the Rivian is a MUCH less efficient vehicle from a battery use perspective).

What you are asking, in effect is: "I am pouring the same amount of water into a quart size container and a gallon size container. How come one is 1/2 full and the other is 1/3 full with the same amount of water?"
This

Reactions: DrGriz
I would probably wait a little bit to buy a Rivian.

They are focusing on not having to raise more funding, trying to scale new production facilities, and start their own private DCFC network. The Rivian forums give the impression that the vehicles have a variety of recurring issues.

I waited several years to buy a Tesla due to some of their earlier issues. I think it is fair to say every brand will have their own unique issues that plague the earlier models. Lastly, the DCFC isn’t where it needs to be. Rivian are thirsty, so those owners will become quite familiar with these stations.

They are focusing on not having to raise more funding, trying to scale new production facilities, and start their own private DCFC network. The Rivian forums give the impression that the vehicles have a variety of recurring issues.

I waited several years to buy a Tesla due to some of their earlier issues. I think it is fair to say every brand will have their own unique issues that plague the earlier models. Lastly, the DCFC isn’t where it needs to be. Rivian are thirsty, so those owners will become quite familiar with these stations.
I purchased a 2022 R1T at SN 9900, and zero build quality issues. Can’t say that for my 2021 MS Plaid, that’s base is nearly 10 years in the making….
@uthatcher

Now Tesla opens their network to Rivian vehicles….. math changes.

Rivian made R1T/R1S/Amazon truck (all combined) 48 cars per day in 2022.
Tesla made 3753 cars per day in 2022.

There’s fake news and fake stats… Rivian was barely building vehicles in early 2022.

Q4 they built 10K.

It’s nowhere near Tesla US production but comparable to Ford and VW production numbers.

Reactions: nate704
It is a generalized statement. Every manufacturer will make cars with one-off issues, but newer model cars (even ICE cars) have issues that can plague them. Some people have sworn off buying the first year of a new generation/vehicle refresh due to their experience in the past. This will hold true for EV vehicles as well.

Rivian has their quirks with the tonneau cover and charging performance. It isn’t to say they make terrible vehicles, but what was prototyped and tested is finally getting a chance to function in the real world. Basically everyone needs to have their expectations properly set.

I hope you enjoy the Rivian, and you get your rattles fixed!

I purchased a 2022 R1T at SN 9900, and zero build quality issues. Can’t say that for my 2021 MS Plaid, that’s base is nearly 10 years in the making….
@uthatcher

Reactions: cusetownusa
It is a generalized statement. Every manufacturer will make cars with one-off issues, but newer model cars (even ICE cars) have issues that can plague them. Some people have sworn off buying the first year of a new generation/vehicle refresh due to their experience in the past. This will hold true for EV vehicles as well.

Rivian has their quirks with the tonneau cover and charging performance. It isn’t to say they make terrible vehicles, but what was prototyped and tested is finally getting a chance to function in the real world. Basically everyone needs to have their expectations properly set.

I hope you enjoy the Rivian, and you get your rattles fixed!
It's vibration, and that's on the Tesla MS Plaid. My Rivian doesn't rattle, or vibrate.

Reactions: voxel and KzooMYP