Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian’s Early Offerings Include 7-Seater SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With consumers preferring trucks and SUVs these days, EV startup Rivian is building its first products to appeal to those tastes.

This week the company introduced an electric pickup called the R1T, as well as a SUV called the R1S to be built on the same platform. While neither are expected to hit the market until late 2020, they’re already being praised for both aesthetics and performance.

r1si-300x160.jpeg
The R1S will seat seven, feature quad electric motors, go 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds, and carry battery pack options up to 180 kWh for 410 miles of range. The base model starts at $72,500, which is slightly more expensive than the truck’s $69,000 price tag. Preorders start this week, with a refundable $1,000 deposit required.

r1s_interior-300x180.jpg
The Tesla Model X has ruled the electric SUV market for years, but it seems it will finally get some competition soon from the likes of Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes and upstarts like Rivian.

Check out the full specs for the R1S here.

Last edited by a moderator:
All these articles about paper BEVs are completely premature. I mean: Lucid, Fiskar, Faraday Future, etc...

There is no competition for Tesla from any of these new startups.

Rivian actually has a differentiated product. It appeals to high end pickup drivers, Land Rover owners and some Jeep driving segments of the population. A close friend who owns a MB G-wagon took a look and was instantly in love - and he has already eschewed the idea of a Tesla after a couple of overnight test drives.

Spend 5 minutes on their website and you might have a different opinion. I did, and gladly handed over $1k in the hopes that we can replace our F150 "surf wagon."

Rivian actually has a differentiated product. It appeals to high end pickup drivers, Land Rover owners and some Jeep driving segments of the population. A close friend who owns a MB G-wagon took a look and was instantly in love - and he has already eschewed the idea of a Tesla after a couple of overnight test drives.

Spend 5 minutes on their website and you might have a different opinion. I did, and gladly handed over $1k in the hopes that we can replace our F150 "surf wagon."
They also have an actual factory and a real car to show off. I'm pretty sure they will make it to market.

Reactions: Cosmacelf

I have no qualms with the product, simply the ability for these companies to successfully bring the products to market, and then in numbers to actually be considered competition. Which is why I specifically chose the companies in my initial comment.

I did inquire with Rivian about the reservation challenges and I can confirm it is due to the high volume of traffic to the order page (great news for them). I was told they are quickly working on resolving this issue and people interested in putting a $1,000 reservation down should be persistent with the order process. Hope that helps.

Did anyone try to pre-order one yet? I tried but web site times out...they must be swamped with traffic.

I any event I pre-ordered the X early on when it was actually less far along as Rivian so I hope these guys make it.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Of all the “other” EV startups, this one is the most grounded, with an appealing / mature product. It would be great if Tesla simply just purchased them. Or a minimum, Rivian did a deal with Tesla for supercharger access.

Comparing with what we know of Tesla’s SUV/truck product pipeline, Rivian seems highly complimentary.

One can dream....

Of all the “other” EV startups, this one is the most grounded, with an appealing / mature product. It would be great if Tesla simply just purchased them. Or a minimum, Rivian did a deal with Tesla for supercharger access.

Comparing with what we know of Tesla’s SUV/truck product pipeline, Rivian seems highly complimentary.

One can dream....
The styling and innovation makes me think they have found some passionate and inspired people in the industry

Reactions: Sean Wagner
I saw these vehicles on Friday at the LA auto show and was very impressed. These have lots of cool tech and features and the quad motors with tank steering is next level stuff. Hope Tesla pays attention and ups their tech and interior offerings.

I saw these vehicles on Friday at the LA auto show and was very impressed. These have lots of cool tech and features and the quad motors with tank steering is next level stuff. Hope Tesla pays attention and ups their tech and interior offerings.

You're talking "next level" about tank steering? You ever driven a tank? I have, about 50 years ago. There's a reason they don't go over 35 mph. You're also talking about a car that looks like an old Range Rover that won't be built until 2020. Auto show pretend cars always have "lots of cool tech stuff" that will never make it to production. I can imagine how efficient it will be looking like a brick.

Tesla is actually building cars already. They plan to do the Model Y and the Tesla Pickup next year, not 2020. They do aerodynamic designs because range seems to be a high priority to most EV drivers. Owning a square, flat front car evokes images from my youth and beyond to WW1 or offerings from the USSR.

I'm guessing you are paid by Rivian.

You're talking "next level" about tank steering? You ever driven a tank? I have, about 50 years ago. There's a reason they don't go over 35 mph. You're also talking about a car that looks like an old Range Rover that won't be built until 2020. Auto show pretend cars always have "lots of cool tech stuff" that will never make it to production. I can imagine how efficient it will be looking like a brick.

I have driven tanks excavators and skidsteers...all of which have a drive on each side (as opposed to one front and one rear)

In my opinion if each wheel has its own motor you open up a lot of crazy capabilities that could be superior to tanks.And since you don't have differentials you have no rubbing and crabbing as you have in tanks.

Plus you have the front wheel steering on top of all that.

Last edited:

Tesla is actually building cars already. They plan to do the Model Y and the Tesla Pickup next year, not 2020. They do aerodynamic designs because range seems to be a high priority to most EV drivers. Owning a square, flat front car evokes images from my youth and beyond to WW1 or offerings from the USSR.

I’ve never drive a tank and didn’t mean to offend tank drivers. The independent electric motors create new driving possibilities. The Tesla tech feels dated and limited in my 2 year old S, call me crazy.

Also I’m not paid by Rivian. I like their direction and hope they make it to production that is all.

Reactions: bhzmark