Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian’s Early Offerings Include 7-Seater SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With consumers preferring trucks and SUVs these days, EV startup Rivian is building its first products to appeal to those tastes.

This week the company introduced an electric pickup called the R1T, as well as a SUV called the R1S to be built on the same platform. While neither are expected to hit the market until late 2020, they’re already being praised for both aesthetics and performance.

r1si-300x160.jpeg
The R1S will seat seven, feature quad electric motors, go 0 to 60 mph in 3 seconds, and carry battery pack options up to 180 kWh for 410 miles of range. The base model starts at $72,500, which is slightly more expensive than the truck’s $69,000 price tag. Preorders start this week, with a refundable $1,000 deposit required.

r1s_interior-300x180.jpg
The Tesla Model X has ruled the electric SUV market for years, but it seems it will finally get some competition soon from the likes of Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes and upstarts like Rivian.

Check out the full specs for the R1S here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete hypocrisy. For 10+ year it’s been about how Tesla would die. Every failure and setback is front page news. Now Rivian, Lucid, Faraday, Karma 2.0, Bollinger, Byton, Nio, etc get free passes and “Tesla better watch out” cause they built a few prototypes, had an unveiling event, and made a slick video? Sorry, but I don’t buy it. Starting a new electric car company doesn’t change from impossible to anyone-can-do-it overnight no matter who’s behind it and how much money you throw at it.

Reactions: Don TLR
Complete hypocrisy. For 10+ year it’s been about how Tesla would die. Every failure and setback is front page news. Now Rivian, Lucid, Faraday, Karma 2.0, Bollinger, Byton, Nio, etc get free passes and “Tesla better watch out” cause they built a few prototypes, had an unveiling event, and made a slick video? Sorry, but I don’t buy it. Starting a new electric car company doesn’t change from impossible to anyone-can-do-it overnight no matter who’s behind it and how much money you throw at it.

Well, yes, you have to evaluate each company individually. From my own research, Lucid, Faraday, Karma are vaporware. I haven't researched the others since their cars aren't very different or compelling to me.

Rivian, for me, is different. First, they have two unique products, one of which I want to buy now. Second, they are well capitalized, they have bought a 2.5 million sq ft factory, and they seem to know what they are doing.

I understand your sentiment - it is rather crazy that Tesla continues to get flack while these raw startups get praised to the moon. All I can say is that I think there is a lot of truth to the theory that short sellers drive most of the negative publicity.

Tesla is well positioned for the future. The Model 3 is another hit. And unlike every single other startup out there (including Rivian), they will be the EV volume leader for the next, oh, at least 5 years if not 10, just due to their head start, existing Model 3 volume production and battery gigafactories.

Other than execution, the only fly in the ointment I see for Rivian is that the car is going to sell out of their manufacturing capabilities really fast. Like Tesla when they initially announced the Model S, Rivian is expecting to make 20,000 cars a year. They are going to be stunned how many $1K reservations they are going to get...

Well, yes, you have to evaluate each company individually. From my own research, Lucid, Faraday, Karma are vaporware. I haven't researched the others since their cars aren't very different or compelling to me.

Do you mean Fisker and not Karma? Karma has been producing and selling the Revero for a couple years now - it is really hard to call them vaporware. I've seen the new models they are working on and no reason to believe they will not eventually come to market.

Having said that, Karma is and will most likely always be a niche company focusing more on personalization and not pushing the market (nor have any desire to do so either).

Do you mean Fisker and not Karma? Karma has been producing and selling the Revero for a couple years now - it is really hard to call them vaporware. I've seen the new models they are working on and no reason to believe they will not eventually come to market.

Having said that, Karma is and will most likely always be a niche company focusing more on personalization and not pushing the market (nor have any desire to do so either).

My bad. Thanks for the correction and info.

Faraday Future was way out there with their concept.

Byton’s one pony trick screen is a joke and the product is a long way off.

Fisker’s appeal is niche.

In my mind, Rivian has the most broadly appealing EV products for the US market, which is dominated by trucks and SUVs.

Tesla’s Model Y and pickup can’t come soon enough, and I hope at minimum they have been inspired by Rivian’s concepts here - especially the gear tunnel, chargers off the beaten path, off road maps and innovative bed design.

In a best case scenario, Tesla just buys Rivian and it would be a 1+1=9 game over situation.

In a best case scenario, Tesla just buys Rivian and it would be a 1+1=9 game over situation.

I really like the R1S and could see buying one if the price makes sense but I don't see any benefit to Tesla buying Rivian. I don't see any technology in the Rivian that Tesla doesn't have. Only the design of the vehicles is unique and that is something that Tesla could easily borrow for their vehicles if they wanted to but Tesla's design philosophy is focused more on maximizing aerodynamics and lowering Cd.

Tesla would benefit more by purchasing Magna Steyr (or a similar company). MS could greatly improve Tesla's manufacturing process and give them manufacturing facilities in Europe.

Reactions: bhzmark
Tesla would be buying manufacturing capacity and a product that is ready to go to market. They would also be buying those things at a discount versus waiting for the product to enter the market.

There are much cheaper ways to buy manufacturing capacity (and Michigan isn't exactly on Tesla's most favoured nations list). It's a product they do not want. There is no discount for buying a company that doesn't want to be sold, you will be paying a premium over their future valuation.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenT
There are much cheaper ways to buy manufacturing capacity (and Michigan isn't exactly on Tesla's most favoured nations list). It's a product they do not want. There is no discount for buying a company that doesn't want to be sold, you will be paying a premium over their future valuation.

Tesla “wants” growth because its shareholders demand it.

You’re ignoring synergies and the value of bringing an appealing product (assuming it has a large number of reservations) to market years sooner, along with a fundamental expansion of the customer base.

• Disagree
Reactions: scaesare

You’re ignoring synergies and the value of bringing an appealing product (assuming it has a large number of reservations) to market years sooner, along with a fundamental expansion of the customer base.
I'd like to see anywhere that's been stated.

Instead, Elon has repeatedly said:

1) They are pushing in order to move the world to sustainable energy transport, and there's a limited time to do it

2) If you are worried about stock price, especially short term, Tesla isn't the stock for you... he'd rather you sell and move on

3) All things being equal, he'd rather Tesla be private and not have shareholders and Wall St. at all.

Shareholders "demand" profits. Growth will lead to additional profits if done correctly, not just by overpaying to acquire other companies.

What synergies do you know of that I am ignoring? Rivian's release date is two years out which means their factory has not been retrofitted yet for production. They bought the factory for $16mm - Tesla could easily find another similar one for a similar price of they wanted to (which obviously they don't).

I am waiting to see what model Y is all about & R1S, I really do not want to throw 1,000. For a preorder yet, I do like that Rivian hopefully will come out with a suv of this size I am a retired tractor trailer driver and would like a large vehicle. So I hope Rivian will come to the NY auto show in April of 19 so i can actually see it then i can decide between the two, although modelY will be smaller, also if i preorder a Rivian at least i will see if the early preorders have any bugs to be corrected thanks

More thoughts on why Rivian may fail. Go to Kickstarter and see all the speakers, USB cables, e-bikes, webcams, etc., Has to be easy right? Lots of companies already make similar products so this new startup (with a team made up of people with great credentials) will be able to leverage other companies’ experiences with product development, supply chain, logistics, etc., right? Sorry, but no. Most of these Kickstarter/Indiegogo will fail either by delivering a product that really isn’t better than what’s already on the market, a product that really doesn’t do what they claimed it would do, or not delivering the product at all. So Rivian despite a great prototype, slick press event, and money pouring in does not get a free pass to success. It’s got to go through most or all the same company-threatening challenges Tesla went through. And back when it started, the odds of Tesla making it to where it is now were near zero.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
As two of the YouTube comments I agree with mentioned:

-Nice that the vehicles made cameos in their snowboarding video

- I still maintain the headlights venture in to weirdmobile territory.

That having been said, great to have folks pushing boundaries in the EV space. I hope they succeed.

So Rivian despite a great prototype, slick press event, and money pouring in does not get a free pass to success. It’s got to go through most or all the same company-threatening challenges Tesla went through. And back when it started, the odds of Tesla making it to where it is now were near zero.

No one gets a free pass to success. That is a given.

Rivian will not have the same challenges as Tesla. Rivian doesn't have to prove that a BEV can be your sole vehicle. Rivian doesn't have to prove that a BEV can be worth $68k plus. Rivian isn't facing a dessert of poor charging infrastructure. By Q4 2020 Electrify America plus other CCS DCFC networks should be quite robust.

BEV Tier 1,Tier 2 , and Tier 3 suppliers are much more robust. Rivian can just plug in to this network. No need to beg suppliers to make EV components and try to convince them that there is legitimate demand for Premium EVs.

Tesla spent ~$400M to launch Model S Program. Rivian has raised ~$1.4B. No need to convince investors the BEV market is a thing. Only need to convince investors your business plan is viable, like any other startup.

Tesla is the tip of the spear and all other EV companies can draft behind them.

There is a space between aping ICEv and wierdmobile.

Much like the fracas when Tesla deleted the Nose Cone, by Rivian Job 1 the people that fear change will have gotten used to the Rivian face.
I don't fear change... I bought a nose-coned Model S in early '13 when the serial number portion of the VIN were in the very low 5 digits. So now that we've addressed your little passive/aggressive insinuation….

I make my own subjective judgment regarding aesthetics... and the headlights look weird, not only as "compared to other cars" but they look out of place in regards to the overall Rivian styling. It might work on a hatchback or little compact... but they look out of place on a SUV/truck, IMO.

That's the thing about subjectivity... while there is no wrong answer, there can be strong sentiment amongst observers. And the "weird headlight" comment is the one aesthetic detractor I've seen commented on most.

Incidentally, your Model S nosecone example is interesting because it was also one of the biggest aesthetic detractors when the S first hit. I'm not a big fan of it myself. The interesting part is Franz has said he never really liked it... and the Model S facelift was his improvement, and I agree that ti was... as well as most opinions of others I've heard. So your use of it as an example of uproar over change is... uh... "interesting".