Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road and Track seem a little butt hurt about the new P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the article, it struck me as one written by a partisan hack for the consumption of their base to re-assure them that their way of life is safe from the marching forward of technology. What other reason can there be to go out of your way to compare a mass produced four-door EV family sedan to a Hennessey Venom GT -- a carbon fiber 2-seater that will sell a total of 29 copies, that costs well over $1M and can theoretically reach a speed that no one in their right mind could ever approach (270mph). The underlying point is that ICE cars are still relevant. Problem is these guys are already having to go to extreme lengths to make their point. Eventually they'll be preaching to crickets.

I tend to agree with R&T on this one. Elon keeps watering down the "awesome" by misstating things and thus leaving the company and EVs open for criticism unnecessarily -- "unforced error" comes to mind.

If you want to put some heat back on R&T, ask them why they included the underlined in this statement:
If you want the quickest car money can buy, and you want it brand-new with four doors, you're taking your checkbook to the Tesla shop.

It seems unnecessary and weakens the overall statement to put unnecessary qualifiers.

I tend to agree with R&T on this one. Elon keeps watering down the "awesome" by misstating things and thus leaving the company and EVs open for criticism unnecessarily -- "unforced error" comes to mind.

If you want to put some heat back on R&T, ask them why they included the underlined in this statement:

It seems unnecessary and weakens the overall statement to put unnecessary qualifiers.

The RT article is criticizing reporters and other publications -- not Tesla -- who it grudgingly acknowledges was careful and accurate in its descriptions.

For example:

But while Tesla very precisely described the Model S P100D as "the third fastest accelerating production car ever produced," reporters, bloggers, and newsmakers everywhere lost the nuance. Gizmodo called it "the fastest car you can buy."

To its credit, Tesla made clear in its announcement that the new Model S would get out-sprinted by the LaFerrari and 918 Spyder. The electric carmaker also pointed out, quite fairly, that the Ferrari and Porsche hybrid hypercars each cost more than $1 million when they were new, with a limited number of each built (499 of the Ferrari, 918 of the Porsche), and that both exotics ended production long ago.
In any case, it is a little pathetic that RT is wasting time on a silly semantic debate instead of discussing the car itself and its incredible performance.

Well, they do consider themselves THE automotive authority.

I read it and really did not have a problem with anything they said. I would have been nice if they mentioned that the P100DL will do its thing all day long with your grandma driving (no offense to the grandmas out there) while the Porsche 911 Turbo needs a wing and a prayer to make its number (along with a whole bunch of launch control shenanigans). But hey, why be accurate?

There's a third group that believes that if you don't use the steering and brakes, the performance is pointless. Personally, I'm good with all three definitions. Different tools for different jobs.

Granted, but the media filter is, at best, "lazy".

It was obvious they'd pick up the word "fastest" and run with it when given this:

New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Tesla is not responsible for how reporters write their articles. Tesla's blog post is titled "New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World," the post itself refers to other earlier production cars that were quicker. and the passage you cite uses the term "fastest accelerating" -- which is precise and entirely accurate.

Probably not coincidentally, Wikipedia uses essentially the same language -- it breaks down the "fastest" cars into two general categories -- "fastest production car by acceleration" and "production car speed record"

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia
Production car speed record - Wikipedia

Tesla bent over backward to make its blog post as accurate as possible and even RT refrains from criticism of Tesla's statement.

And despite the temper tantrum from RT and some automotive purists, reporters' use of the term "fastest" is not incorrect as a matter of English language usage, although "quickest" or "fastest accelerating" would have been more precise:

Simple Definition of fast
  • : moving or able to move quickly
Definition of FAST

fast1

adjective, faster, fastest.
moving or able to move, operate, function, or take effect quickly;quick; swift; rapid:
a fast horse; a fast pain reliever; a fast thinker.

the definition of fastest

Last edited:
What I think most of the petrol heads race enthusiasts want to know is how fast does it go around the Nurburgring. Drag racing is ok but there are plenty of other cars who can easily out sprint the p100d if they tune their cars to have 1000+ horsepower and 1000+ ft-lbs of torque.

What car needs around the Nurburgring is balance, speed, Handling, as well as acceleration. So the ring test all aspects of racing not just one thing.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What I think most of the petrol heads race enthusiasts want to know is how fast does it go around the Nurburgring. Drag racing is ok but there are plenty of other cars who can easily out sprint the p100d if they tune their cars to have 1000+ horsepower and 1000+ ft-lbs of torque.

What car needs around the Nurburgring is balance, speed, Handling, as well as acceleration. So the ring test all aspects of racing not just one thing.

Well, the average hatchback can beat the model S around the Nurburgring. The EV powertrain is simply not designed to deal with the heat generated by that type of sustained power output.

horses for courses...but the strengths and weaknesses of EV / Tesla are not news. R&T is just sitting there getting steamed at the poor layman-level stories in the media, and felt compelled to do a bit of education. I can understand their frustration and I don't think it's personal. They are fans.

I think it's funny that a forum that is rife with people who will dance on the head of a pin to find the one potential misstatement in commentary that they disagree with now wants to attack R&T for doing a very watered down version of the same thing.

If anyone wants a fast EV to go around a track you have the Rimac Concept_One and Conecpt_S that are quicker in a drag race than the La Ferrari and the porsche 918 mentioned here before.
Tesla Model S was never meant to be a race car.