Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road and Track test drives the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I forgot to make this point yesterday. With the brief lull between the somewhat negative Top Gear review and the Model S unveiling that is to come later, I though it would be a good idea to have some US media reviews of the Roadster now that the 1.5 drivetrain is all done.

Also isn't there another comparison being done between a whole bunch different of EVs? I forgot which magazine it was.

Thanks for the link. The car they used is VP23 and there are more pictures of it here.

Also isn't there another comparison being done between a whole bunch different of EVs? I forgot which magazine it was.
That was also Road&Track. Perhaps it will be in the same issue.
Thread on that here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/1874-road-track-eclectic-electric-showdown.html

Last edited:
"In our full panic stops, the Tesla hauled itself down from 60 mph in a short 119 ft; from 80 mph, it required 210 ft."

Finally! This is the first time I've seen braking numbers. At the Tesla Miami Event the employees I asked said Tesla hadn't even done official braking distance numbers yet.

As I expected, the stopping distance is a little weaker than the competition. For comparison, the 911 turbo stops from 60mph in 103 feet and the audi R8 stops in 115 feet from 60. Comparison Test: 2008 Audi R8 vs. 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

What a great review! It praises the Roadster for the strengths, and points out the weaknesses without overplaying either, it tries to independently corroborate Tesla's claimed numbers and doesn't resort to just making stuff up.

I approve! It would be nice to see this review get as much Internet discussion time as the unfair ones.

What a great review! It praises the Roadster for the strengths, and points out the weaknesses without overplaying either, it tries to independently corroborate Tesla's claimed numbers and doesn't resort to just making stuff up.

I approve! It would be nice to see this review get as much Internet discussion time as the unfair ones.

I definitely agree with you. I was thoroughly pleased reading that article. I like how they said if you drive properly they could see you getting the 231/224 mile claim of Tesla/EPA but if you are an enthusiastic driver it would be lowered. Good to see they actually pointed that out. I also like how they talked about the charge rates properly. Definitely need more reviews like that, point out the weaknesses without overplaying them or without artificially high praise for the positives.

-Shark2k

Last edited:
I like how they said if you drive properly they could see you getting the 231/244 mile claim of Tesla/EPA but if you are an enthusiastic driver it would be lowered.

That actually confused me a bit in the article. The article claims:

Based on this, we can believe that anyone exploiting Max Range mode could see the 231/224 miles cited in Tesla's EPA city and highway driving cycles.

While the Tesla Motors site is still claiming 244 miles. Are R&T mistaken? Out of date? Or ahead of things, and Tesla is changing their range numbers again?

That actually confused me a bit in the article. The article claims:

Based on this, we can believe that anyone exploiting Max Range mode could see the 231/224 miles cited in Tesla's EPA city and highway driving cycles.
While the Tesla Motors site is still claiming 244 miles. Are R&T mistaken? Out of date? Or ahead of things, and Tesla is changing their range numbers again?
I think even though Tesla managed to test a car at 244, the official EPA rating is based on the old drivetrain and the Monroney sticker still says 224 (or whatever it was).

It's interesting that the 2000mAh cells being used in the production versions claim that I posted yesterday also surfaced on Martin's blog too.

If 2200mAh gives 244 miles, then 2000mAh would give roughly 224 (ok +/- 3, but this isn't the most rigorous calculation).

EDIT: Do we think that JLGO, the first comment there, is another bot?

Last edited:
Do we think that JLGO, the first comment there, is another bot?

From the Road and Track article:
JLGO
Orlando, FL
December 17, 2008

This Tesla electric car maker wants to help the enviroment by making an electric car that costs over $100,000. How many people in this country could afford that? Who or what are you helping? I hope that Tesla chokes on the money that the EPA will give them.

Seems like a bot to me... although I have difficulty telling between the intentionally and unintentionally uninformed these days.

They have some nice photos in the slideshow. Too bad they're all low res.

120220081651118506.jpg
120220081651119871.jpg

120220081651115683.jpg
120220081651118352.jpg

Last edited:
This summary pdf has some interesting information:

Test Notes: Acceleration
Enable Max. Perf. Mode, disable traction control and wait for the “P” in the
VDS to turn green. Leftfoot brake and smoothly add accelerator pedal to
charge the motor. Release the brake once accelerator is floored.
Test Notes: Braking
The braking system is similar to the Lotus Elise’s, which means it
has a firm pedal and good modulation. We experienced power fluctuations
through the 12-volt accessory port whenever ABS was invoked.