TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Road and Track test drives the Roadster

Discussion in 'News' started by AntronX, Dec 17, 2008.

1. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I forgot to make this point yesterday. With the brief lull between the somewhat negative Top Gear review and the Model S unveiling that is to come later, I though it would be a good idea to have some US media reviews of the Roadster now that the 1.5 drivetrain is all done.

Also isn't there another comparison being done between a whole bunch different of EVs? I forgot which magazine it was.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#3 doug, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
    Thanks for the link. The car they used is VP23 and there are more pictures of it here.

That was also Road&Track. Perhaps it will be in the same issue.
    Thread on that here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/1874-road-track-eclectic-electric-showdown.html

3. Joseph

Joseph Member

"In our full panic stops, the Tesla hauled itself down from 60 mph in a short 119 ft; from 80 mph, it required 210 ft."

Finally! This is the first time I've seen braking numbers. At the Tesla Miami Event the employees I asked said Tesla hadn't even done official braking distance numbers yet.

As I expected, the stopping distance is a little weaker than the competition. For comparison, the 911 turbo stops from 60mph in 103 feet and the audi R8 stops in 115 feet from 60. Comparison Test: 2008 Audi R8 vs. 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

4. graham

graham Active Member

What a great review! It praises the Roadster for the strengths, and points out the weaknesses without overplaying either, it tries to independently corroborate Tesla's claimed numbers and doesn't resort to just making stuff up.

I approve! It would be nice to see this review get as much Internet discussion time as the unfair ones.

5. shark2k

shark2k Member

#6 shark2k, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
    I definitely agree with you. I was thoroughly pleased reading that article. I like how they said if you drive properly they could see you getting the 231/224 mile claim of Tesla/EPA but if you are an enthusiastic driver it would be lowered. Good to see they actually pointed that out. I also like how they talked about the charge rates properly. Definitely need more reviews like that, point out the weaknesses without overplaying them or without artificially high praise for the positives.

-Shark2k

6. graham

graham Active Member

That actually confused me a bit in the article. The article claims:

While the Tesla Motors site is still claiming 244 miles. Are R&T mistaken? Out of date? Or ahead of things, and Tesla is changing their range numbers again?

7. shark2k

shark2k Member

Not sure, but thanks for pointing out I misquoted the article, went back and changed the number. Good question though.

-Shark2k

8. doug

I think even though Tesla managed to test a car at 244, the official EPA rating is based on the old drivetrain and the Monroney sticker still says 224 (or whatever it was).

9. graham

graham Active Member

Ah... that is lame. I suppose it is somewhat excusable for the rest of the 2008s, but with the 2009 model (which R&T were reviewing) it should get updated!

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#11 dpeilow, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    It's interesting that the 2000mAh cells being used in the production versions claim that I posted yesterday also surfaced on Martin's blog too.

If 2200mAh gives 244 miles, then 2000mAh would give roughly 224 (ok +/- 3, but this isn't the most rigorous calculation).

EDIT: Do we think that JLGO, the first comment there, is another bot?

11. graham

graham Active Member

From the Road and Track article:
    Seems like a bot to me... although I have difficulty telling between the intentionally and unintentionally uninformed these days.

12. doug

#13 doug, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    They have some nice photos in the slideshow. Too bad they're all low res.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. doug

#14 doug, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

14. graham

graham Active Member

Ha! I don't think I have ever seen the "Fuel saved by driving electric" screen before! :smile:

15. doug

This summary pdf has some interesting information:

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

17. doug

Yeah, Bob Sexton took that photo in the hanger at El Toro Air Base in Irvine, CA. I assume at the same time as the R&T photographer. Bob's photo is much better, btw. It gives a more interesting perspective on the long shadow.

18. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#19 malcolm, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
    Thanks for posting the pdf link doug. Great reference.

Hope the "Fuel saved by driving electric" screen can also handle imperial gallons.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That is great that R&T did that. I have a binder full of those one pagers from my old R&T subscriptions. Great to add the Tesla to the collection!